The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Double Negative

Not Available
I've been shooting with the Xt1 and have to say that I don't really like the way it renders highlights. It always seems too hot or blown out and the colors are just a tad too saturated. What if you don't want a film simulation? These recent pics of Yosemite are nice, but the colors seem odd. Don't get me wrong the Xt1 is a great camera, but i'm starting to think of this camera as a great black and white digital cam instead because of how Fuji's sensor handles luminance - which is very good.

The shooting mode button seems to always get reset when changing ISO, and that 4 way button is kinda fiddly too.
Shoot RAW and you can adjust the colors all you want in post - from mild to wild. As for highlights being blown... That's up to you when you set the exposure in taking the shot. Dial the EC down until there's no (or little) stack of pixels against the right edge (even if the rest of the image looks a bit dark). You can balance things out during conversion.

johnnygoesdigital

I only shoot RAW, so understand about the color, but i'm still on the fence. I also shoot w/spot as my metering option, always have. I haven't tried converting a color film filter to the RAW, but will try that soon. I usually shoot manual, but will try the EC in auto. Thanks.

jkjod

I am definitely not a professional, furthest from it probably. These were all RAW files then converted in LR with the Velvia color profile. I liked the extra saturated colors in these landscapes, and being that I process files for just me I only have my self to please. Don't let my images sway you one way or another - take it from the others who know more than me :) as for the highlights in the tree and moss picture, those were blown out on purpose to showcase certain aspects and to get the look I wanted. As I said, I'm am definitely not a pro and I'm working on these types of things as I go.

johnnygoesdigital

jkjod-

Your images are really nice- excellent compositions too. I'm learning the camera and sometimes there's different ways to get the same result. I'll post some images soon.

jkjod

It is really hard to get a "tone of voice" across in these posts, so just to clear the air I wasn't trying to be harsh or defend my ways or pictures in any way. I'm totally open for comments and critiques, in fact. Just wanted to make it clear that my images may not be the best judge for all things technical.

I appreciate the compliment. I hope that my images improve over time, as my processing skills get better.

alajuela

Hi

Shot in a Lane in Shanghai - Fuji X-Pro 1 Converted to Full Spectrum with no hot mirror
52.7mm f5.6 1/125 iso 800

Thanks

Phil

alajuela

Hi

Fuji X-Pro 1 Converted to Full Spectrum and shot with hot mirror with Zeiss Jens 135mm Sonnar 3.5

135 mm f5.6 1/90 iso 400

Thanks

Phil

Nathan W. Lediard

Finally on holiday.. on my way to the UK.. fisrt stop Landskrone in Sweden, charmimg little town in Skåne, probably my favorite part of sweden... Went for a walk last night to shake off the cobwebs after a 12 hour drive...
X-Pro1 14mm @ f5 iso 320 1/30

X-Pro1 iso 2500 14mm f4 1/20

More on my blog.. dont normally link to my blog, but I am on holiday and dont want to spend all my time in front of the mac.. :D enjoy! :)

johnnygoesdigital

Perhaps I got a lemon, but this little camera is so frustrating! I got the WiFi to upload once, so that was pretty cool, but the connection cannot be re-established for whatever reason. Fuji couldn't include a cheap USB cable for those "just in case it doesn't work" moments? The ISO dial while a nice touch shouldn't have to be unlocked for every detent, just make the click stops tight enough so as to not nudge them. When holding the camera in the right hand you need a little leverage to both push and turn the ISO dial which almost always changes the shooting mode by somehow moving the switch in front. I know, seems unlikely, but there it is. This is not conducive to intuitive photography, IMO. Also, there's too many menus that have to make use of the crappy 4 way D button. Sony FE wides couldn't come any sooner!

MCTuomey

johnny: you could start a "not fun with" thread ... ;)

of course it likely wouldn't have many pics in it. Which is the reason for this "fun with" thread in the first place, and the pleasure posters take in participating.