The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Hulyss Bowman

Awesome Jim !

I found that the 18-55 is not that sharp for distant objects, less than the D700 for example. I should have taken the 35 with me but the result is ok.

AlanS

Hi Nathan, have you got a pic of the bike? Would love to tour Norway but no direct ferry really kills it. Which ferry did you use for your trip to UK? Looked into it a couple of years ago and it meant riding down to Harwich (from County Durham) a ferry to Denmark, ride to the north and catch another ferry! Or, do what I think you did and drive over the bridge to Sweden and up to Norway (Oh the squaring off of my tyres) :)

Nathan W. Lediard

Alan, I drove to Malmø, (12 hours from me) overnighted, the a quick dash over the bridge and across Denmark... then the ferry to harwich... :D I Then drove to Scotland the first weekend I was there to shoot a wedding! (Holiday , what holiday hehe) The speed limits in Denmark are high, over 80 on the motorway.... Sweden 70, and then it all comes to gronding halt in Norway, especially once you get north of Oslo with 50 pretty ,much the highest limit anywhere... :O We have the Lowest speed linits and hoghest fines in europe... Prison is just a twist of the throttle away :O

Pics of bike coming up :)

One more Milky Way shot to share...

This was probably the most colorful and possibly the best Milky Way shot from Friday night. It was taken near Mackenzie Lake 10 miles northwest of Silverton on Tule Creek, a tributary of the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River. I set up just off the road and waited for the last light of day to fade. This is what I was greeted with. Post in Lightroom.

f/2.0 ISO 1250 30 second exposure.

AlanS

Nice one Nathan:thumbup: I used to own it's daddy. Bought a Z1B in 1975 (900cc for those who don't know) what a beast and what fun:D I ride bikes with twice the power these days and don't bat an eyelid :angel:
Are you trying to put me off going to Norway? (the word must have got out:LOL:) Hope you had a good holiday, you were certainly busy.

Nathan W. Lediard

Nice one Nathan:thumbup: I used to own it's daddy. Bought a Z1B in 1975 (900cc for those who don't know) what a beast and what fun:D I ride bikes with twice the power these days and don't bat an eyelid :angel:
Are you trying to put me off going to Norway? (the word must have got out:LOL:) Hope you had a good holiday, you were certainly busy.
I have had much bigger than this too... but to be honest the roads up here a 650 is perfect! and I also the mrs can ride this.. a z1 would be too big for her :) (that said if one comes along at the right price a Z1 or Zthou or even a GPZ1100 Eddie Lawsen model might just end up in the garage.... :O I sold my last big Suzuki after a close shave with the law... :O Modern bikes are sjust so smooth you really dont notice the speed... I can get the same thrills on the Z at 80mph that needed twice that on a modern racer... :) Not trying to put you off! Norway is wonderful! bust just be warned... traffic cops are judge and jury here... :O no taking it to court.. your license can be gone at the side of the road...

Getting the thread back on topic and ny way of excusing this idle chit chat.. ;) here is a one off custom bow I picked up while in Scotland... shot wit X-T1 and 56mm :)

seakayaker

Re: First Milkyway shot with the X-T1

I took this Friday night near Caprock Canyon in Texas. This is my first use of the X-T1 and 18mm to shoot the Milkyway. While driving to Caprock Canyon I came across an open field with a windmill that fed a small tank for cattle... thought it might make a good foreground for the Milkyway.

Jim wonderful images, especially enjoy the face above the windmill in the milky way!

fmueller

Wow. That brings back some memories, had a similar vintage Kawasaki 650 back in the day. Except mine had wire wheels, single disc in the front and a drum in the back. Put some number plates on it and I used it as a my first club racer. Had to run it the 750 production class and had one guy accuse me of having made impermissible mods because it ran so well.

You have kept yours very nice. Original owner?

1981 Z650SR
Shot with XT-1 and 56mm

A 100 year old bridge...

While that is nothing by European standards...

This bridge is over 100 years old. It's called the Carpenter's Bluff Bridge. It spans the Red River connecting Texas with Oklahoma near Denison, Texas. It has only one lane and a pedestrian walkway (which is now so rotten you can't use it).

I made my way there last night to photograph it against the night sky from a sandbar on the Red River. Light pollution was an issue but still, it was worth the 75 mile trip. It got me out of the city and kept me busy til about 2am.

Here is a link to a video that will show you how narrow this bridge is as well as how rotten it is in some places: Carpenter's Bluff Bridge - YouTube

Fuji X-T1 18mm f/2 ISO 1000 13 second exposure

Nathan W. Lediard

Had a fun family shoot yesterday with each member of the family bringing their car along.. ranging from a 50's chevy sidestep pick-up to a 2014 Porsche... more to come but here is the Porsche, X-T1, 18-55 (52mm @ f8) Lit with 2 profoto D1s with Magnum reflectors :)

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Wow. That brings back some memories, had a similar vintage Kawasaki 650 back in the day. Except mine had wire wheels, single disc in the front and a drum in the back. Put some number plates on it and I used it as a my first club racer. Had to run it the 750 production class and had one guy accuse me of having made impermissible mods because it ran so well.

You have kept yours very nice. Original owner?
Cool :) Well at the time of of it's launch Kawasaki did advertise the Z650 as the best 750 :D
Not original owner no, I am only the fourth owner and there are only a few subtle mods.. I was looking for a z650 to do some cafe racer mods to, but this one popped up and its too nice to take the hack-saw to. So this will be staying as it is :)

Goofing around yesterday while my wife was at a conference and I shot this:

Nothing special at all, until you zoom in. I never imagined I'd be able to see my reflection in a spider's eyes!!!!

Pretty frigging cool if you ask me. Excuse the lack of post-processing and what-not. Quick 'n dirty and wanted to share.