The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Grayhand

X-E1, 55-200

This one was printed 1 meter high on canvas.
Pin sharp even if you pressed your nose into the print!
I started to use the Fuji as a "scout" camera before bringing out my Mamiya system and the P45+.
It has a very similar signature to the pictures from the P45+ so very soon it became a camera used for its own merits!

And the canvas print was quickly sold :)

Ray

Sapphie

X-E1, 55-200

This one was printed 1 meter high on canvas.
Pin sharp even if you pressed your nose into the print!
I started to use the Fuji as a "scout" camera before bringing out my Mamiya system and the P45+.
It has a very similar signature to the pictures from the P45+ so very soon it became a camera used for its own merits!

And the canvas print was quickly sold :)

Ray
Ray

This is beautiful. Would you mind sharing your processing technique for the canvas print? Which raw converter, sharpness settings etc?

Thanks
Lee

Grayhand

Thanks Lee, glad you did like it!

You ask a loot of my memory :)

But:

:lecture:

I bring all Fuji RAW-files trough PhotoNinja.

There I mostly just fix horizont, crop and add maybe 8-10 of detail under Exposure and detail.

And then to Photoshop ->

Then make a copy of layer and open it in Nik collection and HDR Efex Pro.
Then I give it often a quit hardt reatment. adjusting for hard HDR contrast, much more than I really want + I might add heavy vingeting.

Next step might be to open remaining layer in Silver Efex Pro.
Here I also give it a hars treatment with lots of character. I often use Wet Rock. And might add burn edges, rather heavily.

Back to PS

Now you put Silver efex on top of the layer stack and make it transparent by "poking it in the eye"

Then you adjust HDR to maybe 50% and then "unpoke the eye" of Silver.

Now come the artistic touch in to play!

Adjust the opacity of the Silver layer to taste!
Then adjust the opaciti of HDR- layer back and forth until it feels interesting.
Then back to adjust Silver layer.

Reapeat until you feel a proper level of nausea.

If the print is intended for Canvas, then I normally goes for a higher level of nausea.

Then you are don!

(But it is important that you work under the printing profile for your Canvas in PS.
Then you see directly on screen what you might expect to get from the printer.
If not you might be disappointed because the Canavs can normally not produce the gamut you have on your screen.
It will likely look much darker and more murky than you expected)

I have learned that it actually helps to resize a canvas picture to about 300P even if I am printing on Canvas.
Gives you a better level of sharpnes in small details.
For that I use ON1 Resize, works like charm!

And check it only in 50% zoom if you intend it for print.
That normaly give you a realistic feeling of how the print will look.

Only irritating thing is that the subtle layer of micro contrast get lost in the process to convert it to proper size for web and to Jpg.
But I use the Bicubic for smother transitions when rezoning.
If you use some sharpening here it often just looks over sharped and with heavy contrast.

Generaly I dont care much about following a rigorous recept.

But this is a common way for me to start with a Fuji Raw.

The ting is that I really have no ide where I will end upp when I get going in PP.

But the main thing is not to care about what others might think or even what you your self might think!

Wait until you feel that the trip is over, then you look at the result.

Works for me!

School over for today :toocool:

Ray

Last edited:

Grayhand

In other words:

You adjust HDR for contrast.
But here you often pay a price in oversaturated colors.

So you fix the high color saturation in Silver.
That gives you the desired level of contrast without over saturation.

The bonus is that you can get some interesting side effects!

Ray

Grayhand

The summer house

X-E1, 55-200

Using the same PP as earlier described, adjusted for a slightly different result.

Ray

Sapphie

In other words:

You adjust HDR for contrast.
But here you often pay a price in oversaturated colors.

So you fix the high color saturation in Silver.
That gives you the desired level of contrast without over saturation.

The bonus is that you can get some interesting side effects!

Ray
Ray

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I didn't intend to test your memory to this extent!
I try to be fairly conservative in my PP efforts (read that as very minimal!) but clearly for somebody who knows what they are doing you are getting great results.

Lee