The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X Pro 1 vs NEX 7

jonoslack

I see absolutely no reason to own this camera if one already has an M9. Same size body, not full fame, probably slower to focus than you can do manually with an M. Yes, hi-iso is better but the focus issues would seem to null and void that. Take a deep breath, put away the credit card, relish in the amazing gear you already own, and wait to see what Leica have up their sleeve in a month.....
HI There
I completely agree . . . although the arrival of a quality f4 zoom might change things (assuming that Leica don't come out with something similar).

. . . and if you already have some M lenses (or R lenses), then a NEX is a better option because of the focus peaking.

Of course, if you have neither M lenses nor an M9, then things are different, and I can see the attraction - Fuji have obviously done a grand job in lots of areas, especially external controls, lenses and Image Quality.

monza

I have shot Ms for many years and owned an M8 for a while. No way I can focus as accurately and as fast as the X-Pro1...not even close. Maybe others just have better skills, but I've owned M Leicas since I was 18, and there have been a few decades that have passed by since then. :)

I'd be more than pleased with just the 18-72mm f/4 and the 35/1.4. Very interested to see how the OVF will work with zooms...

V

Vivek

Assuming that the X Pro 1's TTL flash is not as good as that of the Sony ;), how does it compare with that of Leica's TTL flash?

Or these cameras are not supposed to be used with anything other than available darkness? ;)

V

Vivek

Robert, That is a good point. However, devious minds need them.;)

See Carl's post here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/405835-post185.html

While TTL is of no use, a flash would help in situations like that (not for that image, that one is just fine).

If by any chance there is near UV sensitivity (without any modifications), then a flash would be handy (again TTL is no use here).

Lowligh + fill flash, there are many possibilities in visible light photography.

I am really surprised that every other site that has a "review" has nothing to say about the flashes or the TTL. Don't Fuji ship them no flashes? :confused:

jonoslack

I have shot Ms for many years and owned an M8 for a while. No way I can focus as accurately and as fast as the X-Pro1...not even close. Maybe others just have better skills, but I've owned M Leicas since I was 18, and there have been a few decades that have passed by since then. :)

I'd be more than pleased with just the 18-72mm f/4 and the 35/1.4. Very interested to see how the OVF will work with zooms...
HI Robert
Perhaps it depends on what the subject is - or possibly simply on practice. Sure - for faces at 6 feet AF works pretty well, for small objects with high contrast backgrounds it may not be the case. Manual focusing with an M gives one the feedback to KNOW what is in focus, and not having that feedback is (for me at least) a real problem with most optical AF systems. Phase detect is better because the focus points are much smaller and more discrete, but it can still be a problem. Focus peaking also allows one to see what is in focus.

I have several AF camera systems, but I always get a better hit rate of in focus shots with my M cameras.

Focusing on film M's was a whole different ball game, as you didn't get the instant feedback to help you learn what was in focus.

Paratom

HI Robert
Perhaps it depends on what the subject is - or possibly simply on practice. Sure - for faces at 6 feet AF works pretty well, for small objects with high contrast backgrounds it may not be the case. Manual focusing with an M gives one the feedback to KNOW what is in focus, and not having that feedback is (for me at least) a real problem with most optical AF systems. Phase detect is better because the focus points are much smaller and more discrete, but it can still be a problem. Focus peaking also allows one to see what is in focus.

I have several AF camera systems, but I always get a better hit rate of in focus shots with my M cameras.

Focusing on film M's was a whole different ball game, as you didn't get the instant feedback to help you learn what was in focus.
I only have had an X100 for few days but if the AF is same as the x1-pro from my first experience is that my hit rate with the x100 AF is pretty good. There are very few exceptions where the camera focused on the background by fault. But this was maybe 5% or less.

For me it seems at least equal to my hitrate of the M9. M9 you allways know where you focus, the X100 is sometimes a little quicker.

Overall I am surprised how much the X100 (and I expect the x1-pro to be the same) feels like shooting a Leica M rangefinder.

However I agree that a x1-pro doesnt make much sense to complement a M9 (IMO).

If we go back to the original question x1-pro vs Nex7: I can only say that I have more fun shooting the Fuji(x100) than shooting the Nex. I can get good result with both but I think I slightly prefer the Fujy color and noise behaviour. I like the optical viewfinder with frames, and the user interface of the Fuji.
The Nex-on the other side allows you much more choices regarding lenses. So if you need all those different focal lengths and zooms and tele and third party lenses I would prefer the Nex.

If I didnt have (and like) a M9 I would immediatly order a x1-pro after my first experiences with the x100.

monza

Robert, Fuji sell a bigger, more powerful and versatile (very cheap, IMO) flash- the Fujifilm EF-42.

Any experience with that (TTL part) on XPro1 or X100?
No, I haven't used any external flash with either camera

dhsimmonds

I bought my X1Pro at a Pro photographer's show in Southampton where some good offers (discounts) were available on a number of different camera brands with all the usual manufacturer's representatives on hand with their wares including Fujifilm UK.

Not only did I get the XP1 at a good price, the professional platinum service was thrown in and you get a book of vouchers offering very useful discounts on all lenses and accessories including the EFX-20 flash. The local dealer was on hand to take your orders including any of the accessories ie flash, grip, protective filters, case all discounted using the vouchers.

I didn't get the flash although it looks a very neat little unit, as I would need at least the 42 guide number and a 58 would be better on the rare occasions that I use flash.

Gbealnz

Let's hear who chose the X Pro 1 over the NEX 7 and why.

Pluses - minuses
So........did you get the answer you wanted, and which did you buy?
I'm in the same boat right now, tossing the Fuji against the Sony. No real clear winner, from the postings, lots saying the Fuji was nice, and some saying the Sony was too. Hard to differentiate, and I suppose at the end of the day personal choice is the biggest driver.
In my case, I want to try them both, but will whittle it down to just the one.
Gary

Terry

They are both really nice cameras. I've chosen the Fuji right now over the Sony. For me the Fuji feels right.

The controls are in the right spot - the quick menu covers everything I would want
I like the OVF and the choice to also use EVF
The image quality is very nice and excellent lenses certainly help

The Sony produces very nice images as well. It is easy to use and there are lots of good things to say. We are living in a time of great choices.

I will have two systems. Fuji plus either Sony or m4/3. Right now m4/3 is winning because I can fill my lens gaps better.

Gbealnz

Cheers Terry, helps when the answers are from users with both cameras, or experience with both.
Right now the dealer I know says the biggest issue with the NEX is the lens quality, the only one worthwhile being the 24mm (Zeiss). Fuji on the other hand seems sorted in this respect.
My main reason, apart from GAS, is that with glasses I am fining the DSLR finders easier to see through than the R/F finders (I have a digital M as well).
Regards
Gary

dhsimmonds

Terry, if Fujifilm adhere to their future lens roadmap, maybe the gaps will be slowly filled. I well remember when Olympus were the only 4/3rds range of cameras in town and they published their roadmap for future lenses in overlapping chart form.

It seemed as if it could never happen but now the range of olympus lenses for 4/3rds is very complete. I really hope that Fujifim can make it all happen for us as so far they are excellent lenses.

If third party lenses designed for the Fuji X mount appear, things could speed up a bit. Already we have seen publicity for a Chinese F0.95/35 lens with an X mount, and it's still very early days.

V

Vivek

After having tried (and continuously using it) the NEX-C3, I will say this.

If only Sony had introduced a NEX-7 with the sensor characteristics of the C3 (or the 5N or the upcoming F3), Fuji X-Pro-1 would not be in contention at all despite the beautiful colors it produces.

It is interesting that one of the biggest sensor manufacturers in the world do not appear to be competitive when it comes to cameras and photography. :confused:

The price point, versatility, accessories and adaptability- all these things are in favor of the NEX-7 but for the shortcomings with the sensor.

Terry

After having tried (and continuously using it) the NEX-C3, I will say this.

If only Sony had introduced a NEX-7 with the sensor characteristics of the C3 (or the 5N or the upcoming F3), Fuji X-Pro-1 would not be in contention at all despite the beautiful colors it produces.

It is interesting that one of the biggest sensor manufacturers in the world do not appear to be competitive when it comes to cameras and photography. :confused:

The price point, versatility, accessories and adaptability- all these things are in favor of the NEX-7 but for the shortcomings with the sensor.
Vivek - it isn't about the sensor for me. I'm happy with the output from the NEX 7. In this case it is about the camera and the shooting experience. If Sony put the 5N sensor in the NEX7 it wouldn't change anything.

V

Vivek

Terry, Of course, it is different strokes for different people.

For me, when I use a system, I look for these:

1. Spare body (even if it is not as capable as the primary camera).

2. Decent flash system.

3. One of the salient features of the mirrorless system cameras that got me spoiled on this is: Adaptability and usability of manual focusing lenses.

..a list of of such yadayadas.

I do think that Fuji has a superb sensor and that delivers stunningly colorful images. Even my favorite and very simple Silkypix works on its files! :)

Paratom

I dont own the x-pro 1 but the x100 and the Nex 5n and 7.

1) I dont find the 24/1.8 the only usefull lens for Nex. The kit lens (at least my sample) is very good for a kit lens, and even the 18-200 Sony and also the Tamron are quite good for such lenses)

2) User interface is a lot different between the Fujy and the Nex. I think one really has to have it in hand , better is to use it to decide which one works better (personal thing).

For my part I prefer the Fuji user interface (I expect the x-pro to be similar to the x100 I own).
Its OVF+EVF vs EVF, and its theplacement of buttons and the menue structure.

If I didnt have a M9 I would immediatly buy a X-pro 1.

AF-speed...I have small kids so I do know about moving subjects. IMO -even if there differences - m4/3, Nex or Fuji are all too slow for usefull continous AF. The only thing that would help is a Nikon or Canon DSLR ala 1d/3d/D700/800, 7d/5dIII.
And the mirrorless are all fast enough for the other stuff. thats just my opinion.

Rich M

Vivek - it isn't about the sensor for me. I'm happy with the output from the NEX 7. In this case it is about the camera and the shooting experience. If Sony put the 5N sensor in the NEX7 it wouldn't change anything.
Vivek......I agree with Terry on this one. It is all about the intrinsic quality of the shooting experience.

As good as the NEX7 feels in the hand, the Fuji is always the camera being used.

R