The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RPP supports XP1

Braeside

Haven't tried that yet Carl. I certainly have seen that sort of thing with my M8 and GXR cameras with sharp lenses and lots of detail, especially processed with Aperture they could look awful at 100% and sometimes even at normal sizes. C1 usually made a much better resulting file, and avoided odd coloured dots on specular highlights in water droplets etc.

Thanks for you input, I will put it down to the much higher resolution files that RPP is capable of producing. If it wasn't for having extra headroom for exposure misses I would be very happy with using the fine JPGs out of the camera, they are really very nice.

Braeside

Ario I will have a look at it in SilkyPix I too noticed what looked like CA in the OOF area. Perhaps the JPGs are corrected in camera for CA?

Most of the lenses specifically designed for the new camera systems are capable to transmit to their system cameras the info required to correct in camera both distortion ad chromatic aberration and such information are also attached to the raw file, as metadata, usable by the raw developers (but not by all of them).
I do not think the RPP is designed do such corrections.

Braeside

Ario, thanks, it may be something to do with the in camera noise reduction that is making the JPG OOC look different to the Silkypix developed version.

I'm not that bothered about it as hopefully this is going to be a temporary workflow until Aperture supports the camera. I can live with the JPGs for now with suitable adjustments to the in camera settings which I haven't played much with yet.

I was really just experimenting to see how much detail is lost in the JPGs v the RAW conversions, when I noticed the aberrations and was curious. Its a severe case of new camera testing syndrome.

Rich M

I'm not sure what is happening DAvid. I don't see any aliasing or artifacts at all. Are you using beta version (1520)? The regular download version from the website does not support the XP1.

Some suggested settings for a start:

White balance custom or as shot
Color leave at default "Color"
Curve type film like
exposure use Auto
Brightness 55
Compressed exposure 0.3
Gamma 2.2
Contrast 1
Black point 0.1
Saturation 30
Sharpness 0
Local contrast 25
Carl......I have been using these settings pretty religiously with great success.

Thank you.....AGAIN. :thumbs:

The only settings now I play with a bit are Compressed Exp and BP. I finally deduced how to save them as a starting point, so I am good to go (for now...).

R

archiM44

Jaggies are due to developing at 1/2 resolution.
Use one of the other alternatives above that in the interpolation box.

Braeside

Jaggies are due to developing at 1/2 resolution.
Use one of the other alternatives above that in the interpolation box.
Yes I was using VNG, and still got some jaggies.

I got a reply from the author of RPP:

These are interpolation artifacts from VNG. It's not the best way to interpolate in general, but it's the only one which I could make work for this sensor so far.
They should not be visible in most of cases when you print or downsample for web, but sometimes can be a real problem.

The sensor also produces rather strong aliasing which doesn't help at all and takes a lot of efforts to clean out. You can see price of such filtering in your Silkypix example - it lacks microdetails almost completely and looks rather plastic for my taste.
The author was actually comparing OOC JPEG with RPP, not with Silkypix, but the principle is the same.

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

I wonder if this is why Capture One Pro and Adobe are taking such a long time to develop their software in support of the XP1?

C1Pro already support the new Nikon 800E which was offered for sale just after the XP1.

Braeside

Possibly Dave,

For a laugh the other day I tried to open a .raf file from the XP-1 on my iPad using the PhotRaw app, which supports the other Fuji X cams. It did open the file, but it was a kind of monochrome image, most weird, the pixels were in the right places, but colours wrong as you might expect with the unique colour sensor pattern this new camera uses.

I have reprocessed more photos with SilkyPix today and they look very good, much better than RPP at present. (No artefacts, yet can pull out a lot more detail than in the OOC JPGs).

I wonder if this is why Capture One Pro and Adobe are taking such a long time to develop their software in support of the XP1?

C1Pro already support the new Nikon 800E which was offered for sale just after the XP1.
Looking at the rather poor quality of the files developed with a "beta" version of ACR and published by DPR last week, this seems to be the case.
Hopefully sooner or later they will find an acceptable compromise between avoiding artifacts and rendering fine details.

Terry

Some interesting comments on the problems in working with this type of sensor by the author of PhotoRAW at his blog
Thanks for sharing. Frustrating for developers and users waiting for solutions. Fuji needs to get on top of this. They obvious know the tricks to demosaicing the output.

But now I know I can have raw support on the iPad. Go figure.

edit: hmmmm the iPad app does not really get very good reviews.

Braeside

Actually Terry, the iPad app is not too shabby IMO. I use it quite a bit with my GXR files and they do look great processed in it. Of course it isn't a racehorse by any means, but a lot better than nothing, and he seems faster than Aperture at supporting new cameras as well.

Nice to see Sandy here too!

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Sorry Bill, I don't know what happened to that link above. Here is the link for the profile and a link for the most recent RPP beta with XP1 support. Use "as shot" for white balance in RPP. The profile goes in Library>Application Support>RPP>Profiles

https://files.me.com/scho/y3c2an

A new profile that might be a little better:
https://files.me.com/scho/t9wrw1

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/RPP64_1520Beta.zip
Carl

I downloaded both RPP (latest) and your profile but I have no RPP folder in the Library/Applications Support folder. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Woody

Carl

I downloaded both RPP (latest) and your profile but I have no RPP folder in the Library/Applications Support folder. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Woody
You should look into the User's Library which if you use Lion is normally hidden:
while you are in the Finder, hold down Option (Alt) and hit the “Go” menu in the menubar. As long as you are holding down the Option key, the Library will appear in the drop-down. Just select it and it will open up on your Library folder.
Ario