The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RPP supports XP1

Terry

Carl - what do you see in the RAWs vs. the jpegs? Meaning is the there much left to eek out of the files?

scho

Carl - what do you see in the RAWs vs. the jpegs? Meaning is the there much left to eek out of the files?
Terry,

I don't really know yet as I'm still trying to get some decent processed raws. RPP is usually very neutral with default parameters and I'm not that skilled in using it to get output comparable to LR or C1 which I'm more familiar with. I want to eventually go back to a raw only workflow but that will have to wait for LR/C1 support.

scho

Here is a comparison of an OOC jpeg with a raw processed in RPP. Colors not right in either image. Guess I need to make a good profile once ACR is ready.

OOC jpeg

RPP raw

Edit:

Made custom ColorChecker icc profile in RPP and re-processed the raw file with this profile:

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

The link doesn't work and there is no mention on their website of support for the X-Pro1 or a beta version.

Bill

scho

The link doesn't work and there is no mention on their website of support for the X-Pro1 or a beta version.

Bill
Sorry Bill, I don't know what happened to that link above. Here is the link for the profile and a link for the most recent RPP beta with XP1 support. Use "as shot" for white balance in RPP. The profile goes in Library>Application Support>RPP>Profiles

https://files.me.com/scho/y3c2an

A new profile that might be a little better:
https://files.me.com/scho/t9wrw1

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/RPP64_1520Beta.zip

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

Thanks Carl. I downloaded the app and the profile and I'll give them a try today. Appreciate the help.

Bill

scho

I re-shot the ColorChecker target and made a new profile that seems to be better in terms of WB uniformity.

New Profile

Last edited:

scho

For those who want to make their own profile for RPP, here are some instructions that I gleaned awhile ago from an old thread at DPR (I think these were comments from Iliah Borg).

Profile construction with RPP

open a raw file containing the shot of a CC24 target.
switch RPP to Raw RGB TIFF 16 bit mode
set your preferred everyday tone mapping - film-like curve or any particular gamma
un-check Zoom to fit, use Shift-drag to scroll if necessary
set white balance from second grey patch N8 (location D2) by Cmd-drag followed by Cmd-R
adjust exposure compensation so that the whitest patch N9.5 (location D1) reads about 250 in the green channel
go to Window and choose Camera Profiling
check both Enforce White and Enforce Black
start selecting patches from the topmost row, A
select the dark brown patch, Lighter-than-Dark Skin, location A1; avoid selecting shadowed or damaged areas of the patches, do not include patch framing
move the selection to the next patch (you can just drag it), Darker-Than-Light Skin, location A2
continue with the row, when finished drag the selection to Orange patch, location B1 (for normal target orientation it is found under the Lighter-than-Dark Skin patch)
continue through the rows until you are done with the Black patch, N2, location D6
click generate and save profile
new profile will be available under Profiles in main RPP menu

If I can add, I would recommend due care while shooting the target; specific instruction are detailed in the RPP user manual, pg. 32 and 33.

Braeside

Thanks for the profile work Carl.

I'm trying RPP today and am not getting getting good results at all. The output files have many aliases on edges and colour artefacts abound. I don't get that effect with the OOC JPEGs or developed with SilkyPix. I have selected VNG interpolation (only choice apart from half).

I must be missing something, is it a limitation of a non donation?

Any advice welcome.

scho

Thanks for the profile work Carl.

I'm trying RPP today and am not getting getting good results at all. The output files have many aliases on edges and colour artefacts abound. I don't get that effect with the OOC JPEGs or developed with SilkyPix. I have selected VNG interpolation (only choice apart from half).

I must be missing something, is it a limitation of a non donation?

Any advice welcome.
I'm not sure what is happening DAvid. I don't see any aliasing or artifacts at all. Are you using beta version (1520)? The regular download version from the website does not support the XP1.

Some suggested settings for a start:

White balance custom or as shot
Color leave at default "Color"
Curve type film like
exposure use Auto
Brightness 55
Compressed exposure 0.3
Gamma 2.2
Contrast 1
Black point 0.1
Saturation 30
Sharpness 0
Local contrast 25

Braeside

Thanks Carl. I am running that version and have tried your suggestions.

It may just be this particular picture that has fine detail on straight edges and distant lettering that is causing the colour aliasing and edge steps I am seeing. It was just a quick snapshot yesterday and is so awful I hesitate to post it, but will perhaps take some screen shots at 100% to show you what is happening. There is a small possibility the camera is faulty of course, but more likely operator error here!

Braeside

Screen shot (100% view)
Left OOC JPEG Right RPP developed

Do you see the colour aliasing on the blinds in the window and the lettering on the notice? Also a general raggedness to edges.

Further up this image is a flagpole and the edge is quite rough compared to the JPG or the developed RAW in SilkyPix.

I know I am pixel peeping, but my GXR RAW files appear better than this at 100%.

I see a lot of green pixels emerging everywhere in the RPP developed shots.
I'm going through all my X1 pics developed with RPP and so far I have not seen anything like that.
Do you get it with a any particular lens only?

Braeside

Hi Ario, I only have the 35 at present so have nothing to compare it against. I do have an L mount adaptor coming so can try some Zeiss lenses then.

It may just be the details in that particular photo, I know with the GXR I sometimes get bad aliases on certain photos.

Here is a 100% crop of the squirrel, this time sharpened in RPP before export to TIFF. I think it looks fine. I'm probably being completely silly about all of this and really need to get outside to take some shots. Excuse is the weather and having a bad cold.

35mm at F1.8

I promise - no more squirrel shots.

Edit: The odd strip at the bottom is my desktop pattern - should have cropped it better!

scho

Looks like moire from the XP1 sensor (no AA filter). I see this occasionally in images with high frequency detail. Can you remove it in tiff files using C1 moire correction slider?

David, I do not think that sharpness is an issue but if you compare the two shots you will see that not only on the fur of the squirrel but also at the border of the small stones on the ground there is a lot of green emerging, sort of chromatic aberration.