The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RPP supports XP1

Godfrey

I've used PhotoRAW for some time now. It is quite good at its job, but it is very slow operating. Which makes sense when you consider the hardware environment. Raw conversion processing is a very heavy consumer of memory and processor power, the iPad has limited RAM for any app to work with.

Braeside

I tried the new beta with 2/3, it still looks bad on edges, with steps and false colour, and as you say the developed file is reduced in pixel dimensions.

I have sent feedback to the RPP author.

The other really annoying thing with RPP is the half res preview in the application, why can't you get a slower full scale preview I wonder? Hopefully the author can perhaps try some other algorithms for this sensor, as PhotoRaw has done apparently, though I have not been able to try it yet on my iPad, but will once it is released.

Last edited:

scho

I'm trying Sandy's PhotoRaw app that now supports the XP1. Image quality of the processed raws look very good, but I need to find a better way of moving files around between camera, desktop, and iPhone (no iPad yet). I moved the raws to the iPhone with file sharing in iTunes on my desktop and after processing in PhotoRaw just saved jpegs and then emailed them back to my desktop. I couldn't get direct transfer to Photoshop working, but that may be a networking problems on my system. I uploaded an OOC jpeg and the PhotoRaw processed image to my DPR gallery and there is a full size image comparison in this thread.

Braeside

You could try PhotoSync App which transfers wirelessly between iPhone/iPad/Mac.
Also tried Sandy's PhotoRaw last night on iPad 3 and it did a good job, though pretty slow doing the initial conversion as expected. It is useful for the occasional Raw shot I may want to process on the iPad but wouldn't be part of my main workflow.

Sandy, how about a Mac version of PhotoRaw? - You wouldn't have the same constraints in terms of speed and memory.

sandymc

Also tried Sandy's PhotoRaw last night on iPad 3 and it did a good job, though pretty slow doing the initial conversion as expected. It is useful for the occasional Raw shot I may want to process on the iPad but wouldn't be part of my main workflow.

Sandy, how about a Mac version of PhotoRaw? - You wouldn't have the same constraints in terms of speed and memory.
David,

Interesting thought, but too much competition on the Mac - on the commercial side you have Lightroom, Aperture, SILKYPIX and C1, etc, and open source/free side there's already RPP, RawTherapee, etc

Just no room for yet another player.

Sandy

scho

Thanks David. I tried PhotoSync, but same problem with my network. The only reliable pipeline I have from the iPhone to my computer is via Photo Stream which works well with jpegs. I just save a PhotoRaw processed image as a jpeg on the iPhone and it instantly shows up on my computer in the Aperture Photo Stream library.

Braeside

Carl, I think Photostream downscales or limits the size of photos doesn't it? Sorry to hear that PhotoStream did not work out for you.

scho

Carl, I think Photostream downscales or limits the size of photos doesn't it? Sorry to hear that PhotoStream did not work out for you.
David,

No, I exported full size jpegs from PhotoRaw and they showed up in Aperture's Photo Stream library with no re-sizing. I can still use PhotoSync for sending raw files to my iPhone for processing with PhotoRaw and it is quite fast.

Braeside

Very good Carl, I must be getting mixed up with PhotoStream, possibly it is when you look at a PhotoStream on an iOS device that they get resized, but not the other way round.

I made a comparison between RPP (2/3 and VNG interpolation options) and Raw File Converter (the Silkpix version bundled with X1-Pro) using an hand held shot done with the Fujinon 35/1.4 and my own test panel.
The file was developed with zero sharpening in any case and than sharpened in CS6 with Smart Sharpen with default parameters. The file interpolated with the 2/3 option was previously upsized in CS6.
Attached are approx 100% crops in the following order 2/3, VNG, Silkpix.
I note the following:
-VNG is in my opinion the best option among the three in terms of preserved details
-Silkpix has removed somehow the moirè which was present in the original file (see the spring in the middle)
- The file developed by Silkpix is a bit smaller, probably because of some distortion correction done in background.
-The in-camera white balance is interpreted by the two raw developers in a different way.

[/url]
ARI_20120522_144212DTP-2.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
ARI_20120522_144212VP-2.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
ARI_20120522_144212SSP-2.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr[/IMG]