The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji Adapter Tease

V

Vivek

I look forward to the generic adapters, including the M mount, along with c-mount and pen F mount and such adapters.

The overpriced "dumb" adapters (filled with the same air) are of little importance when it comes to the mirrorless arena, IMO.

or would this adapter have a "chip" in it?

Braeside

I bought a cheap adaptor on eBay, just received it and it won't focus to infinity with my M lenses :-( I had expected if anything it would err on the safe side and focus beyond infinity! I have asked if they will replace it, but test the adaptor first...

Millsart

Does it come "chipped"?
Do you mean able to read the 6 bit code on some Leica glass ??

Given there are no contacts on M-mount glass, I'm not sure what being chipped would really serve.

I guess they could make the camera able to recognize a given adapter and set the guidelines to match that focal length and VF mag, however, that would mean you'd have to buy another adapter for each lens, and seeing how nothing with the XPro comes cheap, I can't see too many people wanting to go out and buy a handful of them, especially if Fuji doesn't add some sort of liveview with focus peaking

Terry

I thought the 6 bit coding had copyright (or some other) issues and why Zeiss and Voigtlander couldn't code their lenses. Not sure what applies to reading the codes.

Millsart

Does it come "chipped"?
I thought the 6 bit coding had copyright (or some other) issues and why Zeiss and Voigtlander couldn't code their lenses. Not sure what applies to reading the codes.
Didn't some newer VC, or was it Zeiss start to have the empty little impressions that the user could fill in themselves ?

Makes me think that the reading of the code itself may not be copyrighted, just having it. Sort of typical Leica silliness IMHO, especially sending in lens to get coded for big money when really all you need is a sharpie marker.

Anyways, given the XPro has 6 lens slots, I would guess each adapter can be recognized, rather than an adapter also being able to read 6 bit code.

Braeside

Still trying to get the eBay seller to understand that the problem I have with his adaptor is not that it focuses 'beyond infinity', but that it cannot even get to infinity...

The good news is that I did manage to put a whole bunch of my M mount lenses on the XP-1 to test them (at medium distances only). None had any visible colour shift in the corners, in fact less so than on my GXR. The corners were pretty good, not quite as good as the GXR on some, but perfectly fine for most work.

Saying that, focussing MF lenses on the XP-1 is truly awful compared to the GXR. The fixed magnification is unsuitable for some focal lengths, combined with the slow refresh rate of the EVF makes things painful and jumpy. They really need to look into a better way, focus peaking and gain up on the EVF with faster refresh and a choice of magnifications.

I will hang on to my GXR for my M mount lenses for now, and enjoy the great Fuji AF lenses on the XP-1.

Still trying to get the eBay seller to understand that the problem I have with his adaptor is not that it focuses 'beyond infinity', but that it cannot even get to infinity...

The good news is that I did manage to put a whole bunch of my M mount lenses on the XP-1 to test them (at medium distances only). None had any visible colour shift in the corners, in fact less so than on my GXR. The corners were pretty good, not quite as good as the GXR on some, but perfectly fine for most work.

Saying that, focussing MF lenses on the XP-1 is truly awful compared to the GXR. The fixed magnification is unsuitable for some focal lengths, combined with the slow refresh rate of the EVF makes things painful and jumpy. They really need to look into a better way, focus peaking and gain up on the EVF with faster refresh and a choice of magnifications.

I will hang on to my GXR for my M mount lenses for now, and enjoy the great Fuji AF lenses on the XP-1.
Totally agreed.
What is still intriguing me is this mysterious Fuji Adapter: why should Fuji be interested in producing a simple mechanical adapter in competition with Novoflex, Fotodiox, Kipon.... and many others and why they did announce it so early (and it is not available yet)? The widely rumored relationship with Leica is an additional promising element in this regard, we will see.

Braeside

That is some good info for Manual lens users. Thanks David.
The camera is tempting though.

Michiel
Thanks Michiel. Yesterday I finally got around to viewing some of the XP-1 photos on my 27" iMac, as up till then I had just been using my MBP 13". Wow! Those files are nice, so clean I can hardly tell what ISO they are shot at. So far I only have the 35mm Fujinon lens, but is superb. I am selling my ZM C Biogon 35mm now! (I will keep the CV 35/2.5 skopar though).

V

Vivek

Didn't some newer VC, or was it Zeiss start to have the empty little impressions that the user could fill in themselves ?

Makes me think that the reading of the code itself may not be copyrighted, just having it. Sort of typical Leica silliness IMHO, especially sending in lens to get coded for big money when really all you need is a sharpie marker.

Anyways, given the XPro has 6 lens slots, I would guess each adapter can be recognized, rather than an adapter also being able to read 6 bit code.
No nothing to do with the Leica optical barcodes at all. However, in that post you basically answered what I suspected.

I think (look at the top right "teaser" photo Robert posted) the adapter comes with a built in chip and electrical contacts (body side). You preset the lenses in the cam and choose the one you mount (in the cam) on the adapter. The chip basically fools the camera into believing that there is a Fuji lens attached. This is like fooling a Nikon camera with a chip attached to a manual focus lens or anything. This would allow for better metering, color corrections and such. That would be the advantage provided my speculation is correct.

ashwinrao1

I'm hoping that a chipset would allow for some better manual focusing algorithm...i.e. adapter is regognized, and enables focus peaking or improved MF implementation is some other regard. 6 bit coding recognition is doubtful in my eyes, due to copyright...