The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom Support now available!

Sapphie

It's out!

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.1 update includes these enhancements:

• The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
• Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
• Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
• Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
• Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
• Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

Mac: Adobe - Lightroom : For Mac : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Win: Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Lee

Sapphie

Initial impressions are that Adobe have done a really great job. The JPEGs are very good but I think RAW will now be my preference. Some of my JPEGs now look 'over sharpened', whilst sharpening in LR can be increased to 40+ and the files look great and more natural to my eyes.

My other initial finding is that, if you have been shooting auto-dr, you will know that the camera raises the ISO, effectively underexposing to preserve the highlights and then using some magic to bring up the shadows. With the X100, LR just read such RAWs as they were, so would look underexposed. With the X-Pro 1 it is adjusting the tone curve so that the images look similar to the JPEG in this regard.

Exciting times!

Lee

archiM44

Also available of course the Adobe Camera Raw plugin via update to Photoshop CS6 or stand alone plugin. Don't know if it will work with earlier versions of photoshop.
Also the Adobe DNG converter which might well be a temporary workaround for those using Aperture, Capture One, or any program which accepts DNG files.

scifitographer

here's my first raw file processed with lr4. so far i'm happy with the files i've played with. the white flower petals were too hot on the jpg, the raw file looks much better.

Rich M

It's out!

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.1 update includes these enhancements:

• The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
• Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
• Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
• Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
• Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
• Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

Mac: Adobe - Lightroom : For Mac : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Win: Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Lee
Thanks Lee........and JUST when I was learning to love RPP :D

R

archiM44

Also available of course the Adobe Camera Raw plugin via update to Photoshop CS6 or stand alone plugin. Don't know if it will work with earlier versions of photoshop.
Also the Adobe DNG converter which might well be a temporary workaround for those using Aperture, Capture One, or any program which accepts DNG files.
Nope, RAF files converted in Adobe DNG Converter cannot be opened in Aperture or Capture One (in Capture One I get a red monochrome file)

Braeside

Does the LR Raw converter apply the lens distortion correction? I notice the Fuji SilkyPix does, but RPP does not?

Sapphie

Thanks Lee........and JUST when I was learning to love RPP :D

R
I think RPP can give great results but I don't think the X-Pro support is really more than a beta at the moment and, of course, there are many benefits from using LR.

I will keep an eye on any RPP updates, though, for sure.

Lee

Braeside

Just upgrading my old copy of LR3 now! - I had hoped Apple would update Aperture to support the camera, but so far nothing.

Braeside

Hmmm, not terribly impressed by LR's rendering of the .raf files. The green foliage is like a painting compared to even the OOC JPG. They seem to be applying some serious smoothing to the files. RPP shows the true detail that is there, but suffers from colour aliasing on edges and lines with VNG at present. Hope Adobe can improve this a lot.

Sapphie

Hmmm, not terribly impressed by LR's rendering of the .raf files. The green foliage is like a painting compared to even the OOC JPG. They seem to be applying some serious smoothing to the files. RPP shows the true detail that is there, but suffers from colour aliasing on edges and lines with VNG at present. Hope Adobe can improve this a lot.
Hi David

If by 'painting' we are thinking of a sort of soft, mushy appearance where some of the detail has been 'blurred away', I have seen this sometimes in the JPEGs, particularly for distant foliage. Whilst this would be 'out of focus' anyway, I do think that RPP brings out more detail.

When I tried the new LR this morning this was the first thing I looked for and I thought it was better than the JPEG though maybe not quite as good as RPP. Having said that, this was at 4.30 am (don't ask!) so it is possible I was seeing things or not. I'll have another play tonight.

Lee

Braeside

Hi Lee, yes soft mushy detail in the foliage, smoothed out. The camera JPGs are actually better. I'll post some samples later, at first I thought I had got the files mixed up.
RPP has tons more detail, but artefacts which spoil it. Silkypix is giving more detail that LR4 for me, though not as much as RPP. I'm rather disappointed by LR4's rendering to say the least, I had expected to be blown away by it. Its not just me, I see similar comments on another forum. Of course, there may be something that I'm not doing right in LR4, but out of the box it isn't very impressive at the pixel level.

Terry

Hi Lee, yes soft mushy detail in the foliage, smoothed out. The camera JPGs are actually better. I'll post some samples later, at first I thought I had got the files mixed up.
RPP has tons more detail, but artefacts which spoil it. Silkypix is giving more detail that LR4 for me, though not as much as RPP. I'm rather disappointed by LR4's rendering to say the least, I had expected to be blown away by it. Its not just me, I see similar comments on another forum. Of course, there may be something that I'm not doing right in LR4, but out of the box it isn't very impressive at the pixel level.
This does not surprise me because it seemed that the studio RAW files at DPReview were not as good as the jpeg files.

Sean Reid seems to be doing OK with the RAW files. Would be interesting to see how he is processing the files in LR4.

johnnygoesdigital

Silky pics is great as a raw converter, just adding another step from finepix is not really a bother either. Eventually, i'll use LR4, but for now this works great!

Braeside

This does not surprise me because it seemed that the studio RAW files at DPReview were not as good as the jpeg files.

Sean Reid seems to be doing OK with the RAW files. Would be interesting to see how he is processing the files in LR4.
Hi Terry, admittedly I am guilty of severe pixel peeping here, but the effect of this smearing-painterly effect is most evident on fine structures like distant foliage on trees, where you have a great deal of potentially small detail at all scales.

Looking at a nice close-up macro shot of some texture it looks OK, but the acid test for me is landscapes with distant trees and bushes. (I no longer subscribe to Mr Reid's site so have no idea what subjects he has been shooting in his tests).

For now I am pretty happy with JPGs from the camera, unless I blow the highlights, or want to do some severe processing like for example with IR shots. SilkyPix is generally fine for bringing out decent files for me, and if RPP didn't produce such an amount of colour artefacts and diddly edges it would beat the resolution of Silkypix.

Its also interesting that RPP is the only one to not correct the lens distortion automatically, particularly noticeable if taking a shot with the Fuji 18mm lens.

What I am really waiting for is Aperture support, just because that is my normal raw workflow.