The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-Pro1 Raw Processing

ustein

Contributing Editor
We normally use LR4.1 for all our images. But in the case of the X-Pro1 we find that Silkypix (some version comes with the camera) gets better results.

- more detail
- no false colors from aliasing
- no smudging in foliage

What is your take?

PenSon

If you have a Mac you should try the RPP software that works very nice with raw files from Fuji.

Trygve

ustein

Contributing Editor
I know Silkypix from the past and they use Fuji algorithms. Normally I don't care but here Fuji has the edge as they invented this new layout.

I briefly checked RPP but this is just too bare bone for my taste.

Last edited:

Sapphie

I don't know why but I jut can't seem to get on with SP ...

As for RPP, I think it is the best for detail, such as foliage. It is only really intended for initial processing - I use it with WB 'As Shot', a film simulation such as 'K64', alter the exposure using Compressed Exposure if necessary, interpolation on VNG, maybe some saturation, contrast boost, then save as TIFF for further processing in LR.

If you have donated you get various 'helper' functions like being able to go forwards/backwards to the next image in the folder and to be able to open the TIFF directly in LR.

I do wonder if I ought to try SP again though ...

Lee

ptomsu

Workshop Member
General question WRT Film Modes on X Pro 1:

Can the film modes be also used in RAW? Or better asked doe they come down to the RAW file as a special WB setting from start?

Thanks for letting me know

Peter

Godfrey

General question WRT Film Modes on X Pro 1:

Can the film modes be also used in RAW? Or better asked doe they come down to the RAW file as a special WB setting from start?

Thanks for letting me know

Peter
My impression based on the other Fuji cameras I've had is the the film modes are image processing output into JPEGs only.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I wait for LR4 to improve and till then I preprocess in Silkypix and then do the rest in LR. Works very well for me.

Sapphie

The RAWs can subsequently be 'developed' into JPEGs based on the film simulations, different sharpness or NR settings etc but only by the in-camera RAW converter. This is actually a really good utility but has no PC or Mac equivalent. SP has 'tastes' etc but they are its own (or user defined) and not related to the Fuji film simulations.

Lee

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The RAWs can subsequently be 'developed' into JPEGs based on the film simulations

Yes, but I don't want to use my camera as an editing tool.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>The RAWs can subsequently be 'developed' into JPEGs based on the film simulations

Yes, but I don't want to use my camera as an editing tool.
+1

Would prefer to apply film settings in LR - either during import or individually after import.

Peter

ustein

Contributing Editor
In the end I don't care much about the film settings because you can make your own in Lightroom.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is one of the frustrating aspects of the Fuji. I love mine to bits but I hate having to use multiple raw converters with my various camera systems. LR/ACR does a great job with D800 files and non-tech cam Phase One files. For Fuji - ok, but I often end up using the jpg as my starting point because they render so nicely. I've tried SilkyPix and it's ok but isn't a viable alternative to LR but does render files nicely (just like Nikon Capture NX2 does with Nikon NEFs vs LR) but it isn't a productive tool for me. As regards RPP, I've read the threads here and downloaded the latest builds etc but it's a science experiment in my experience. Some people seem to get decent results from it but I find it sucks badly when I try (and I fully concede that this is almost certainly my lack of experience with it - but how difficult should it be?).

Fuji / Adobe should bang heads together and get the Fuji/SilkyPix demosaic algorithms implemented together. I'm sure that Adobe will get the job done eventually but right now it is a frustrating moment in time.

Love the camera system though :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I've tried SilkyPix and it's ok but isn't a viable alternative to LR but does render files nicely (just like Nikon Capture NX2 does with Nikon NEFs vs LR) but it isn't a productive tool for me.

No, it is not a replacement. I use it as a pre-processor. Here are my steps:

1. Browse through the pics in Silkypix
2. I have a default that requires only very few changes in Silkypix
3. Change WB, Exposure and Highlight recovery per image
4. Export in the background into a temp folder
5. Sync folder with LR (if wanted I could even automate that and maybe I should)

Actually I export as JPEG from Silkypix. Before you complain think of this:

1. The heavy lifting is done in SP
2. The JPEGs I generate are way less compressed than from camera (means if if you complain you should not even think using the camera JPEGs)
3. You could use 16-bit tiffs if you like

All the rest is done in LR. If I like the images I create a master DNG that includes the generated SP JPEG and all LR settings.

If you really look then the workflow is not that much slower than all in LR. But I like the results better than the raw from LR right now.

Is it ideal? No. Is it a problem? No.

Main issues are actually that SP does not transfer the IPTC metadata and keywords.

I think I found my peace with X-Pro raws for now.

Ok, you need to learn a bit SP. Takes you max 3 hours or you ask me :)

Sapphie

Uwe

Which version of SP? The free one that comes with the camera? Do you use any particular 'taste' setting as a starting point?

I don't suppose you have any direct contacts with Adobe to find out whether they are working on an improvement or not?

Lee

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
I use the new version 5 for Mac but tried the free version too. Worked fine but cannot create 16bit TIFFs.

archiM44

View attachment 62071
The free version can save to 16 bit tif's by configuring the "setting for developed image" to do so.
I downloaded the new version 5 for mac, but changing settings in the program gives a strange jumping behavior to the screen image on my iMac.
Maybe you have a solution for this.
However, since the processing results are not different as far as I can see, and I only use it for the first processing, I think 5pro is overkill.
By the way, as always your images here and on your site are a pleasure to look at and truly show what many cameras are capable of in the right hands.
regards
maurice

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The free version can save to 16 bit tif's by configuring the "setting for developed image" to do so.

True, I looked in the wrong place (which means it was not really intuitive :)). So we are fine with the free version I guess.

>but changing settings in the program gives a strange jumping behavior to the screen image on my iMac.

Maybe I ignored it.