The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Zeiss AF lenses for Fuji X (and Sony)

Zeiss has announced new AF lenses for mirrorless APS cameras.
Three prime lenses are already in development: 2.8/12, 1.8/32 and 2.8/50 macro.
The new lenses will be available for Sony E-bayonet (Sony NEX cameras) and for Fujifilm X-bayonet (Fujifilm X cameras).
Exact prices haven’t been set yet but will hover around the EUR 1,000 mark.
Their expected arrival is spring /summer 2013.

D

d2mini

Why can't zeiss or fuji make a true 35mm equivalent?
For me, that's the standard walk-around, general purpose focal length.
Fuji's 18mm (27mm equiv) is the closest.
Leica knows this... c'mon guys.

There is already one in the road map
"Early 2013
Then in early 2013, Fujifilm will also deliver three more high performance single focal length lenses that include the XF56mm (84mm) F1.4 lens, the pancake XF27mm (41mm) F2.8 lens and the XF23mm (35mm) F1.4 lens."

ashwinrao1

Really exciting times for us X users....faster camera, better AF, nice second body option with top notch EVF, and now multiple lens options for AF....good good times!

etrigan63

Zeiss' decision has validated Fuji's X-mount. This in turn will cause other players to get on the bandwagon. I, for one, would not be surprised to hear from Mr. Kobayashi very shortly. It is not a well kept secret that the celebrated M. K is the manufacturing arm of Carl Zeiss.

johnnygoesdigital

I recently had my xpro1 for sale, but decided to wait now that zeiss lenses will be available and the excellent firmware upgrade. It really is an amazing camera! Although the Fuji lenses are amazing too, I can't wait for the 14mm.

R

Richardson Beard

I think they do, and for Fuji X, will. There is presently a Zeiss 24mm for the Sony NEX, which one would presume would be adapted. I have the same question but can so far find no mention of it as to be modified for the Fuji X. The announced lenses for Fuji X will also be built for the Sony NEX.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818647-REG/Sony_SEL24F18Z_SEL24F18Z_24_mm_f_1_8.html

Last edited:
R

Richardson Beard

I should walk the above post back a little. The referenced lens is in fact billed as a Sony lens with Zeiss Sonnar optics. I've never given the distinction much thought, but now that I do, it's not insignificant. With a lot of room for interpretation, it could certainly mean among other things that Sony has a veto over where else the same setup may appear. If it's not hijacking the subject of the thread, it would interesting for someone who has some experience in these things to wade in, and perhaps speculate on the likelihood of a Zeiss Sonnar 24mm in the Fuji X future.

etrigan63

Richard, AFAIK the Sony Zeiss 24mm Sonnar f/1.8 is exclusive to the NEX series. We may see a similar design to the upcoming Fuji XF 23mm f/1.4. It's going to have to be an amazing design as the Fuji X glass is very good.