The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XE-1 or NEX 6

Moonshine

Both these new cameras look really interesting and based on the few reviews out there which out of the two would you choose and why?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

etrigan63

I had an X-E1 on pre-order but decided to switch to a NEX-6 instead. Here are the reasons why:

1. Focus Peaking - I have astigmatism and no amount of diopter adjustments is going to compensate for that. Focus peaking was amazing on my NEX-7.

2. High-ISO Performance - the NEX-7 was great, but I was not satisfied with it's high-ISO noise characteristics. 24mp on APS-C is still too tight. 16mp is the sweet spot these days. That may change in a year, but for now...

3. Hybrid-AF - This is a biggie as it combines the strengths of both focusing systems while overcoming their respective weaknesses.

4. 21st Century Thinking - We live in a connected world. Sorry Graham, all digital cameras are computers masquerading as cameras. This one has "come out of the closet" so to speak. I welcome this. Functionality via software upgrade instead of whatever dribbles the manufacturer sends out in firmware. This market is going to be huge.

For the record, I have an SLT-A99V on order as it appears to meet all of my pro needs and I get to use sweet AF Zeiss glass in the process. If the rumors are right, we may see a price drop in both cameras even before they hit the shelves in the US. Got to love competition!

Rayto

I recently went through this for both myself and with a friend. I'm already in the Fuji camp with an X100 and am extremely pleased with it. Here's a few of my thoughts:

I expect both to be very good cameras. Well built and hopefully without quirks.

I give the lens nod to Fuji. For me, the line makes more sense. I shoot primes and a 35 and 50 equivalent is fine for me. The 35 will be out next year, until then I have the X100 if needed. Fuji's lenses are good across the line, the same can't be said about Sony's. There's the Zeiss 24/1.8 at $1,000+ when you can find one for sale and the new, untested, 35/1.8. I like the new kit zoom but I prefer the Fuji speed and optics in their kit zoom.

I have the advantage of shooting a NEX-7/CZ24 for 3 weeks this summer. I did not purchase it as a result of the evf had too little eye relief, the transition from rear display to evf was quite slow and the CZ is heavier than it needs to be. While I could live with the control set, I'd take Fuji's in a heart beat. Metering in the X100 is superb, somewhat better than my experience with the 7. Auto white balance in the 7, under artificial light, was poor. Metering to me is important.

AF speed at this point is an unknown. The pdaf approach Sony is taking is the same as Canon took with their mirrorless interchangeable. The Canon is not quick, I have yet to see a definitive test on the Sony. However, my expectations is it will be snappier than the Fuji with the current lenses. Once the zoom, the 14 and the 23 are out, who knows.

I prefered the NEX-7 in hand to my X100. I expect I would prefer the NEX-6 over the XE.

There's a lot of concern about post in the X Trans world. First, most of the issues are with Lightroom and the fact Aperture does not support X Trans. For LR users, render in SilkyPix and import to LR. For Mac users, render in RPP, which has an Aperture plug-in, and import. There are those who won't/can't leave their chosen app. I was never like that, when I shot Nikon I rendered in NIK, never LR. For me, the raw issue is a non-issue. And the jpegs are to die for.

Last is how I feel about the camera and the company. Fuji is a quirky company with a very small, but profitable camera business wrapped up in a profitable multi sector company. Sony is an unprofitable camera business wrapped up in an unprofitable multi sector company. Fuji knows film, $160,000 video lenses, Hasselblad and Phase 1 bodies and lenses and some specialized optics. Sony has a superb sensor business.

As far as the camera, to me the Fuji exudes charm and a bit of classic elegance. The Sony is a nice functional mass market camera.

Cost wise, with the CZ and the kit zoom, versus the 35/1.4 and the kit zoom, it's about the same. Though with different optics, the Sony can be a lot less coin.

I have an XE on order with the kit zoom and the 35/1.4. My friend is still on the fence.

Pelao

Both cameras are basically computer driven.

It would help to know what you shoot, and how you shoot. Both are likely to be excellent and a lot will come down to personal preference.

I would go Fuji because I like the controls, overall UI, lenses and output. So for me an easy one.

I don't much like EVFs; I don't think they are ready to replace optical, so I have an XPro 1.

V

Vivek

Fuji is a camera, foibles and all.
NEX is a computer masquerading as a camera IMHO.
When TTL metering debuted, every camera became a computer even before digital sensors came about.

The best camera has the best computing power and will not have a flickering EVF, slow recording times, frames/sec captures and fake retro look. :D

As for the original question:

NEX6 all the way. This would replace my NEX-C3, 5N, and 7.

Another camera, er a slow computer that I would like to have is the Leica MM.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The NEX 6 seems to be the new sweet spot for high end mirrorless camera with built in EVF for today. I owned and sold a NEX 5 because it was not up to my requirements and also missed the integrated EVF. The NEX7 never rand the bells for me because of the 24MP which is not what I am looking for in a small high end P&S.

The Fuji - both XP1 and XE1 are not where they should be IMHO. While some are happy with them and the IQ coming out I know I would not, especially with lack of support in RAW converters, lack of lenses I am looking for and especially the still slow AF - thanks god Fuji could not deliver a X1P when I was in buying mode half a year ago :D

For me today it would clearly be the NEX 6!

Photomorgana

To me it's Fuji XE1.

Number one reason is - dedicated Exposure Compensation dial on top. I shot MF legacy lenses 95% of the time, so it's a must for me. (You can see what it is and adjust it while looking thru EVF without interruption.) also lenses with A-dial are cool and fun.

Yes peaking is nice, but not as crucial with EVF as opposed to LCD only cameras. (I had no problems with GH2 focusing MF lenses)

I also prefer the looks and build quality of XE1 (base on my experience with 5n, it looks like it went to hell and back, maybe its because i dropped it a few times)

I believe jpeg should be also better on fuji. (Yet to know for sure)

The only thing I'm worried about is a grip, hope it will suffice.

If I were buying into a system to use it with native lenses only I'd be looking into E-P5 and XE1, not NEX. Just my opinion.

etrigan63

I truly need the focus peaking. I switched from NEX-7 to OM-D and I have a much harder time manually focussing with the OM-D. RRS is making a grip for the X-E1 that allows access to the battery/card slot.

Moonshine

Is it true that images from the Nex cameras look extremely digitalized?

It seems that the Fuji may have the better IQ...

Still can't decide as both cameras look really good, so it comes down to image quality, for me I guess.

Moonshine

When TTL metering debuted, every camera became a computer even before digital sensors came about.

The best camera has the best computing power and will not have a flickering EVF, slow recording times, frames/sec captures and fake retro look. :D

As for the original question:

NEX6 all the way. This would replace my NEX-C3, 5N, and 7.

Another camera, er a slow computer that I would like to have is the Leica MM.
Could you elaborate? Why the Nex 6 over the XE1?

V

Vivek

Now that I have the camera (NEX-6) in hand for the past few days, I share my impressions of it.

Basically, I wanted a NEX-5N with a built in EVF. The control dials, etc in NEX-6 are in the right place and are useful. The EVF does not hesitate. The grip itself seems better suited for me than the NEX-7- ie., the handling is better for me.

The plastic body (unlike 5N) is stronger and isn't prone to cracks.

I feel that the responsiveness of the camera, customization and such will improve with a FW update. There are some quirks which does not hinder the overall use though. I have to find the yet to be available flash adapter to use Sony TTL flashes because of the hotshoe design change. Maybe there will be 3rd party knock offs soon.

The new PDAF with certain (updated) AF lenses appears to show promise. Faster AF.

Video capability, when needed, is top notch and without overheating and such.

No worries of UV or IR bleeds. The NEX-6's UV/IR cut filter is as good as the ones in the other NEX'.

Lenses are still a problem for Sony. Hopefully, the Zeiss lenses announced would start showing up soon.

Since I use a lot of small manual focus primes (pen F, Leica and such), this isn't a big problem and the manual focus assist (with fast response) comes in handy here. To a lesser extent, focus peaking (under select circumstances and with certain lenses), when needed comes in handy and is there.

Let me add here that one thing that I find very useful- the tiltable LCD (though not as versatile as the swivel ones of Panasonic cams) is there in the NEX-6 and is sorely absent in Fuji cams.

Last edited:

Shashin

Well, a big factor of one over the other is the native lenses. Which would you prefer?

I would lean toward the Fuji for high ISO performance. But likewise, raw support would make me think. Still, that Fuji sensor is special.

V

Vivek

I strongly feel that the ability to use any adapted lens is the strong point of any liveview/mirrorless camera system. Before Sony showed up with their NEX it was the m4/3rds (it may appear that one has to thank Samsung for their NX that might have prompted Sony to hurriedly put together the NEX-5, sold without even a bod cap).

Native lenses with AF are nice but CDAF is slow.

So, it boils down to the camera's usefulness/versatility.

"Hip shooting" (aka "blind shooting") is no more and it is waist level shooting in a small format camera.

Also, the NEX has the potential to evolve beyond APS-C, still having this adaptability of lenses due to the short camera registry.

Accessories are also important (and are costly while going from one system to the other). Flashes from Sony alpha offer full compatibility. Batteries/charger remain the same.

3rd party extension tubes (Kenko) and such also strengthen a system.

Sure, Fuji's sensor remains special, as of now. Sony have recent patents that come to the same Fuji idea (in a different way, of course). Something to look forward to in the near future on a full frame NEX.

This is region specific, I think:

Currently, here in the Netherlands, the XE-1 lists for 999 Euros while the NEX-6 is 699 - 75 (cash back) = 624 Euros.
Want a back up? The choice is clear.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Fuji has the best sensor, also at high ISO, the best native lenses and for us traditionalists, the best user interface. In this country, Fuji also has the best customer service by a huge margin. They repair cameras overnight or even while I'm waiting if there's a crisis, even flying in parts from Japan in a couple of days.

I haven't switched back to Fuji yet, but most things point in that direction at the moment.

Shashin

Fortunately, there is no problem adapting any lens to a mirrorless, whether Fuji or Sony. The Native lenses will or should have better resolving power to match the format rather than lenses made for larger formats. It is easy to zone focus with any mirrorless and native AF lens--I do it often. You can shoot from the hip with any camera.

Of course the system argument is simply a personal choice. Many photographers are happy with limited systems. If this is for street photography, both systems will work well.

Buy the cameras that gets you excited about taking pictures. No technical specification can compete with that.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Buy the cameras that gets you excited about taking pictures. No technical specification can compete with that.
And that explains why I like the Fuji so much. It's just such a great camera to use and sparks creativity in me and its the first camera I reach for when I travel or leave the house on any given day. It has the same level of appeal to me as my Leica M's did.

Paratom

I dont know about the xe1 and the Nex6, only x-pro 1 and Nex7 and 5n.
Here my personal feeling:
With both systems you can get great results.The user iterface feels quite different.
Pro Fuji:
+great primes available
+Fuji color (I prefer it over Nex color, but matter of taste)
+classic user interface (f-stop on the lens, exp comp wheel for thumb)
+in case of the x-pro1 ovf option
contra Fuji:
-limited lens choices (but becoming more)

Pro Nex:
+ besides maybe AF it feels very fast/instant; the FUji never feels slowm but the Sony feels even faster for me
+Focus Peaking (Which IMO works ok but not perfect for al light/subjects)
+ even smaller

I think it comes down a lot which user interface you prefer and I would definatly try to spend some time with both in a store.