The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XE-1 or NEX 6

V

Vivek

The Native lenses will or should have better resolving power to match the format rather than lenses made for larger formats. It is easy to zone focus with any mirrorless and native AF lens--I do it often. You can shoot from the hip with any camera.
The first line is hopeful but does not always come true in my use.

The second- not at all for me.

The third- of course one can. But "hip shooting", as pointed out, is a blind endeavor compared to waist level shooting.

Naturally, it all comes down to personal preferences! Thankfully, we now have some diversity in camera/lens offering to satisfy those!

Moonshine

My only concern with the Fuji system is the lack of raw support in Aperture (that's what I use and don't want to switch as I'm finally comfortable with it!) but from what I've been reading it seems that there isn't a screaming need for it as the jpegs are so good?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The jpegs do seem excellent, and I will record Raws as backup until a decent processor emerges. Memory is cheap, after all.

emmawest72

The jpegs do seem excellent, and I will record Raws as backup until a decent processor emerges. Memory is cheap, after all.
Kit,

I m also planing on getting one very soon. I have a close frined who has passed me quite some raw files from the EX1 and I find LR4.2 to do a very good job and I'm sure it will get even better.

It's true that the Fuji Jpegs are very good. I used the S5 for several years and the Jpegs were great.

Enjoy the cam.
Cheers
Wil

djonesii

Workshop Member
Held NEX 7 in a store, was kind of impressed.

Bought the Fuji X-1 Pro sight on seen based on IQ that I have seen floating around the web. I'll use it mostly in a studio setting. I know it will not replace the Phase One P30+ and mamiya lenses, but I really do miss the DOF control.

I have a feeling, this is really just a stop gap until I convince myself that in order to get the images I want, a bigger sensor is simply required! Not sure if skipping the FF nikon will happen or not, buy now ask latter .....

Dave

AbbeyFoto

I have used a Nex 7 and a x100. Found both frustrating in their own ways. Eventually got used to the x100 and I am really enjoying it. I was tempted by the X-Pro but didn't take the plunge, but went for the X-E1 as soon as I played with one. The X-E1 with the diopter adjustable EVF suited me; better for the zoom lenses which are useful. Have to see how it works with my Leica lenses. I suspect the Fuji may be best with it's own lenses. This is where the focus peaking on the Nex is useful. At first I disliked the peaking but learnt to see past it, so to speak. I also found the movie button all too easy to press; solved that by taping a small ring around it. With that frustration out of the way I need to try it again. I must say I find the Nex 6 a tempting replacement for the 7 for reasons others have mentioned - 16Mb seems to make more sense at this sensor size and it does look good with the new zoom lens!

As always no camera is perfect and I unable to come down on one side or the other at the moment. If legacy M lenses need a flexible compact digital body then the Nex probably makes more sense. On the other hand, Fuji's jpegs are so sweet.

Guess it's good to have choices even if decisions are not easy. Chris