The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on the 18-55 lens?

soboyle

Waiting for delivery of the X-E1 kit with 18-55 lens. The kit isn't shipping here in the US yet as far as I can tell. But wanted to get feedback on the 18-55. Some of the preliminary reviews I've read sound good.

Braeside

I just received my 18-55 today Shaun. Of course the weather has been terrible - mist and fog and drizzle all day. I took a few snaps around the house at high ISO mainly, but from what I have seen so far it seems very nice indeed. The OIS works well. Focus speed is snappy. Manual focus is smooth, as is the zoom. Feels very solid and well built and a bargain compared to other high quality zooms. This isn't your normal 'kit zoom'.

I shan't post any samples at this time if you don't mind, but there are quite a few floating around on the web now anyway.

This will be a pretty nice setup for a travel and walk about.

Edit: The bokeh is rather nice too - Good job Fuji. :thumbs:

Cheers

soboyle

David -
mist and fog and drizzle all day
Those are the best days to be out ;-)
Thanks for the report, sounds good so far.

soboyle

Nice!
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."
Around these parts foggy days are few and far between, so I rush out with camera in hand when we get one.

scifitographer

i haven't had time to shoot lately due to my work schedule, so i didn't bother ordering the lens yet. thing should calm down after thanksgiving, so i hope to order next week. in the mean time, i can't wait to see everyone's photos and reviews of it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Waiting .... Impatiently. I ordered the kit plus a 14mm and the wait to add the X-E1 & zoom plus the 14mm to my X-Pro1 outfit feels like an eternity at the moment, especially after reading the X-E1 body reports.

David Schneider

In planning stages of a nice little trip for 2013 and plan on leaving the medium format and Canon gear behind to travel fairly light. X-E1 with zoom plus 14mm seems like a good choice. But wondering what will be the "longest" lens that can put on the X-E1 and X-Pro1 bodies, whether in planning stages by Fuji or out there presently?

GrahamWelland

I'm using a Zeiss ZM 85 with the adapter as my long lens. It works well and isn't too large. When Fuji come up with an AF offering beyond 60mm I'll certainly add that.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm using a Zeiss ZM 85 with the adapter as my long lens. It works well and isn't too large.

You mean the f/4 version. I like it a lot.

Where the heck are these cameras/lenses?!!!! Come on Fuji, let us spend our money! I really want one of these Kits! Looks like the perfect travel camera.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
My X-E1 and kit lens will arrive tomorrow—I have on-sold the kit lens to another member, because I am disciplining myself to the 30 and the 60. Of course, I might buy one later!

GrahamWelland

Ooh ooh ooh ... I'm first on my dealer list so maybe, just maybe, it'll be here too. :thumbs:

That said, I'm definitely most interested in the 14mm too.

They'll all be here soon enough and we'll quickly forget the wait. It feels like ordering Leica gear all over again.

Don't hate me...I opened my Ipad on Sat at 8am and Safari opened to Samy's Camera's website. (i had been doing research on used lighting gear two days before that) So just for kicks I searched for the X-E1 kit. It said in stock. I guess they had 1 in stock because as soon as I bought it, I checked again and it said only pre-order...It's coming form LA to NY, I did ground shipping. So I'll let you all know if it's the real deal on Friday! I hope I'm not screwing myself for the next new camera that comes out by giving this info, Haha. But they seem to get some stock when other people don't have any. I got one D800E through NPS and a few weeks later checked Samy's site and they had 2 more available, so I bought those as well. No one else had them in stock at that time.

GrahamWelland

Well, the good news is that the X-E1 kit arrived today so undoubtedly they're in general circulation. Battery is charging ...

I went with the silver body. The lens construction seems identical to the other Fuji lenses although this time the hood is plastic. Curiously I notice that the aperture dial has no markings on it which seems a little unusual I suppose. That said it is fly by wire and doesn't have dedicated stops (you can turn it a full 360 degrees) so that kind of explains that.

Peter Leyenaar

I picked up the 18-55 last Friday as a kit with the fujifilm X E1 at Vistek in Calgary, they had 4 kits,2 silver , 2 black , another sold as I was buying mine, also bought the 35mm and the 60, the 18-55 and the 60 required a firmware update.
All these lenses are outstanding, and so is the Fuji X E1, it was the Fuji X10 that motivated me to go the Fuji direction, also shot Fuji mf in film and had an S-5.

GrahamWelland

I'm going to have to reconcile the difference in size & girth between the X-Pro1 and the X-E1. My X-Pro1 has a RRS L bracket on it and feels huge compared to the diminutive X-E1. The balance is different too as the lens is more significant on the X-E1 vs X-Pro1.

The 18-55 on the X-Pro1 is wonderfully balanced. Ditto the 35/18 on the X-E1.

Last edited: