The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Promising new Mac RAW app for Fuji X Trans

Pelao

A raw converter that would not have Highlight Recovery is not for me.

Even if LR is my main tool the integration with C1 is very easy for me.

Also to watch for with 3rd party tools is how the preserve metadata.
Uwe,

My main software is LR. IT looks like I will have to get C1 to get the best RC for my Fuji. Can you offer any ideas on the best way to integrate the two applications?

Thanks
Stephen

sandymc

My point was, the intention of the beta is not just to find bugs, it's to find out what additional features are important to users. AccuRaw can't ever compete with LR or C1, nor was it ever intended to. But it can be useful to photographers that want a product focussed on accuracy of rendering - both color and demosaicing - as a supplement to Photoshop/LR/C1/Aperture or whatever else.

Sandy

ustein

Contributing Editor
>AccuRaw can't ever compete with LR or C1, nor was it ever intended to. But it can be useful to photographers that want a product focussed on accuracy of rendering - both color and demosaicing - as a supplement to Photoshop/LR/C1/Aperture or whatever else.

Seems a good step in the right direction then.

>Can you offer any ideas on the best way to integrate the two applications?

1. Import files into LR4
2. Open these files in C1 and do basic processing
3. Develop from C1 into a temp folder (for C1 exports). We use mainly JPEGs because all the heavy lifting was done in C1. Of course you can use also 16 bit TIFFs.
4. Sync that folder in LR 4
5. Add all final touches in LR
6. Export image as DNG to my master folders (DNG keeps all edits)

I posted also this article some time ago:

http://www.outbackphoto.net/lightroom/2012/8/13/using-other-raw-converters-as-lightroom-pre-processor.html

Pelao

>AccuRaw can't ever compete with LR or C1, nor was it ever intended to. But it can be useful to photographers that want a product focussed on accuracy of rendering - both color and demosaicing - as a supplement to Photoshop/LR/C1/Aperture or whatever else.

Seems a good step in the right direction then.

>Can you offer any ideas on the best way to integrate the two applications?

1. Import files into LR4
2. Open these files in C1 and do basic processing
3. Develop from C1 into a temp folder (for C1 exports). We use mainly JPEGs because all the heavy lifting was done in C1. Of course you can use also 16 bit TIFFs.
4. Sync that folder in LR 4
5. Add all final touches in LR
6. Export image as DNG to my master folders (DNG keeps all edits)

I posted also this article some time ago:

outbackphoto - Lightroom Artistry - Using other Raw Converters as Lightroom Pre-Processor
Thank you - and best wishes for 2013!

archiM44

I also import into LR4 and process in C1 but haven't as yet found an elegant way to send files from LR to C1 without causing occasional crashes of C1. John Beardworth's open directly program doesn't send a single file to C1 but the whole folder and C1 doesn't always like that.
I now import into C1 and backup the files into the appropriate folder in my images folder and then synch that into the LR library.
I have also tried working the combination using Media PRO, but two catalogs can only lead to a mess.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me on a good workflow

aleksanderpolo

Sandy, I saw a sample processed by your AccuRaw on another forum. IMO it is doing a better job than C1 in that sample. Just want to say thank you for your effort and contribution and what a fine job you are doing. :)

Godfrey

My point was, the intention of the beta is not just to find bugs, it's to find out what additional features are important to users. AccuRaw can't ever compete with LR or C1, nor was it ever intended to. But it can be useful to photographers that want a product focussed on accuracy of rendering - both color and demosaicing - as a supplement to Photoshop/LR/C1/Aperture or whatever else.

Sandy
Sandy,

Do you see advantage to using AccuRaw for other cameras' raw output? The Fujis are seriously problematic, I'm sure it will really help raw conversion processing there, but my cameras are the Leica X2, Ricoh GXR, Leica M9 and Olympus E-1. LR 4 seems to do a very good job with these, I'm curious as to how AccuRaw will compare.

I've missed info on what to do to obtain a beta copy for evaluation.

thanks
Godfrey

sandymc

Godfrey,

AccuRaw is intended to be a "technically accurate" raw converter, both as regards color rendition and demosiacing. As you know, existing raw converters take a number of decisions out of the hands of the user in favor of giving results that will look good immediately, with as little effort as possible in post. So, e.g., there are hue twists to make the sky a more vivid blue, the grass more green, etc - "Hollywood color". Which is great in many situations, and you can understand why companies do that, and why users like it. But sometimes what you really want is a neutral starting point, and fine grained control over of demosaicing parameters, color rendition, etc.

So AccuRaw is really is niche product for users that value a starting point that is as close as possible to what the camera saw.

It just so happens that fine grained control over the demosaicing process makes AccuRaw useful for the Fuji X-Trans, but really AccuRaw is designed for all cameras.

The beta for the current version is now over, but the beta for the next version should start in a week or two. PM me your email address if you want to be involved.

Regards

Sandy

Sandy,

Do you see advantage to using AccuRaw for other cameras' raw output? The Fujis are seriously problematic, I'm sure it will really help raw conversion processing there, but my cameras are the Leica X2, Ricoh GXR, Leica M9 and Olympus E-1. LR 4 seems to do a very good job with these, I'm curious as to how AccuRaw will compare.

I've missed info on what to do to obtain a beta copy for evaluation.

thanks
Godfrey

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

I am highly interested in your RAW converter, especially for Sigma X3F files of the Foveon Sensor. I mainly use LR4 for my workflow with my different cameras, but there is no LR4 compatibility for the SD15, SD1 Merrill, DP2 Merrill.

sandymc

No Foveon support, sorry.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I am highly interested in your RAW converter, especially for Sigma X3F files of the Foveon Sensor. I mainly use LR4 for my workflow with my different cameras, but there is no LR4 compatibility for the SD15, SD1 Merrill, DP2 Merrill.

J

jknights

I guess/hope we are near to another beta being released for AccuRAW.

I have CapturePro 7.0.2 which is much better than Lightroom or ACR with respect to rendering of the image more cleanly (no/much less painterly effects).

However the cataloguing part of the program is a disaster as it doesnt work very well at all as it keeps crashing on my Mac.

I have CapturePro 7.0.2 which is much better than Lightroom or ACR with respect to rendering of the image more cleanly (no/much less painterly effects).

However the cataloguing part of the program is a disaster as it doesnt work very well at all as it keeps crashing on my Mac.
I still use LR4 as main tool because the LR catalog has certain functions not (yet?) available in C07, but with exception of very few crashes at the very beginning, I think mainly due to Open CL, my experimental CO7 catalogs are running smoothly on both my two mac's (only few hundred pics so far).

Last edited:

archiM44

I had this same problem with the catalog, but Phase One support with VERY much patience during 22 back and forth contacts! helped me solve it.
I have never experienced such support from any software company.
It now works well (5000 images including large medium format files so far and growing)
They sent me a script which toggles open CL and that has worked.

woodyspedden

I had this same problem with the catalog, but Phase One support with VERY much patience during 22 back and forth contacts! helped me solve it.
I have never experienced such support from any software company.
It now works well (5000 images including large medium format files so far and growing)
They sent me a script which toggles open CL and that has worked.
How about sharing with those of us who also need these solutions?

Thanks

Woody

archiM44

How about sharing with those of us who also need these solutions?

Thanks

Woody
Woody,
I didn't think it would be a good idea to have someone else run a script on their machine when that might do more harm than good, and figured it would be better to point the way to Phase One support and have the crash report from the console utility sent to them so they could analyze the specific problem.
In my case they said it was crashing in the image core, whatever that may be.

J

jknights

I still use LR4 as main tool because the LR catalog has certain functions not (yet?) available in C07, but with exception of very few crashes at the very beginning, I think mainly due to Open CL, my experimental CO7 catalogs are running smoothly on both my two mac's (only few hundred pics so far).
Looking to do an import of all my images (120000).
I still have to scan my negatives and slides from the previous 25/30 years prior to digital!

I currently have Lightroom but while it does a fair job cataloguing the Develop module doesnt work for me at all!!

archiM44

Looking to do an import of all my images (120000).
I still have to scan my negatives and slides from the previous 25/30 years prior to digital!

I currently have Lightroom but while it does a fair job cataloguing the Develop module doesnt work for me at all!!
I was advised by Phase One support not to import the whole library at once.
At the moment I am keeping it down to 5-10000 images at a time with no problems.
I import as a referencing catalog and don't import images into the catalog.
A good reason for not importing a great amount of images at a time, is that generating previews takes some time and if anything goes wrong a lot of time is lost