The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some Fuji X-E1 impressions

raist3d

I am trying out a Fuji X-E1 with zoom kit lens for a few days. If it works, I will have to sell my K-5 and Pentax Q, as I would like to have this as a single camera system for both paid work and my street life work.

This doesn't mean I don't like the K-5 or the Q. I love the Q in fact, and the Q may very well ultimately give me pause, but if i can see the Fuji covering for both, that is very appealing to me- to have *ONE* system.

Anyway some impressions along with some shots:

- AF is much better than I was expecting
- Fuji Zoom OIS is phenomenal- also much better than I expected
- For some reason seems I can hit the aperture ring a bit more often than I want by accident
- Love the Fuji JPEG engine and all the tweaks you can do on it.
- Aren't Pro Via (std) and Astia film simulation modes flipped? Wasn't this the case with the original X100 ages back? Why?
- No idea what the "AF-c" mode does (maybe time to finally check the manual)

The camera DR/ISO seems neck and neck with the K-5's sensor. But seems the Fuji may be able to keep detail a notch better- though not sure how that would compare with the K-5IIs without the AA filter. Seems like even if it's the same, at least you don't get easy color moire.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

simort

Ricardo,

being a Pentax user myself (K7) and considering a shift to Fuji, I am very much interested in your opinions on the X-E1. Could you share with us your impressions, especially as regards AF speed and accuracy in low light?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

raist3d

Ricardo,

being a Pentax user myself (K7) and considering a shift to Fuji, I am very much interested in your opinions on the X-E1. Could you share with us your impressions, especially as regards AF speed and accuracy in low light?

Thanks a lot
AF speed - it's better than I thought. Not as fast as the Olympus OMD-5. Hard to explain how fast it is without having a good reference point.

AF accuracy- pretty good.

AF on moving subjects- not so good. A medium to slow walk can be captured.

Manual Focus in general of non static subjects- meh. Not so good.

Comparing a K-5 and this camera- there are many areas you can compare them but some key areas where you can't. I would say they belong to different classes of camera.

The Fuji yields more detail (than a K-5 or K-5II non s). The K-5 seems to still do better in high ISO. Both can have very nice tonality, vibrant color. The Fuji JPEG engine is better in general terms.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Well, it's happened. I am switching to the X-mount as the system for both paid work and personal work. This means I am selling the K-5 and after that, the Q.

It's also means a few more things:
- I broke a vow, and I will deserve/get all the flak that goes with that. Ptomsu, go ahead :)

- I am looking at this as a "this is it." Done. I held to the K-5 for quite a while and the Q actually. The only reason I am going here is because I can eliminate two systems and use one.

- This should not mean- in any shape or form- I think the K-5 or Q (which I love and still love) are bad cameras. Or that the Fuji X is "a better camera" - may be a better camera *for my needs* but I do think the Pentaxes are *fantastic* cameras.

The only reason I am looking here is because I can carry small and have the "K-5 image quality with me everywhere." Once the pancake lens for the Xmount comes out, the X-E1 will be pocketable even in a jeans pocket I can see. It's that peculiarity what makes it work for me- even though I will miss the Q completely silent shutter.

This wasn't a decision I just "made on a weekend"- otherwise I would have bought an X-E1 several months ago.

- Raist

raist3d

I will be posting some rolling impressions, once I am done with the purpose of this thread, I will post in the respective "fun with" and "street shots with" threads. My intention is not to hijack the already established threads.

From today:

Some thoughts:
- image quality/sharpness- yup, it's there. Walks the line between typical Bayer Sensor and Sigma Foveon.
- Camera AF and "latency" is a bit annoying. I want to the camera to respond faster and just feel a bit sluggish. It's not catastrophically so, but those trying to decide between Olympus OMD_5 and Fuji, and want the speed, go OMD-5. Image quality is to me, imho, a bit better (no, I don't buy "it's the same" or "so close it doesn't matter"- it depends what you are doing. The OMD-5 IQ is still pretty good).

- I really want Fuji to allow to "pump the shutter" while pressed in 1/2 pressed mode and snap shots away. They currently do not do this. The OMD-5 can. The Olympus 4/3rds 620 can. The Pentax K-5 can. Fuji, please try to fix this asap.

- You really want automatic image preview off if you are taking shots in a hurry.

- Battery life to my surprise is a bit longer than I expected. I have been shooting for a couple of hours and still on battery 1.

- Ricardo

PS: Oh before I forget: got X-E1 with zoom lens and XF35mm F1.4 prime.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ricardo, give a try to setting up hyper-focal distance with that 35mm and use it in full manual mode. Judging from your framing above, I'd set it at about six feet for tack sharp. My X-E1 is a completely different camera in manual focus mode. It's actually quite quick and very responsive.

Got to agree though, on autofocus it is a DOG....

raist3d

Chuck- will start trying that at some point. Do keep in mind- I want this camera to work for a wedding! I think it can but it's just a bit annoying to use because of what I mentioned. At least the AF does work into lower light than I expected which is real good news.

Took this about 30 mins ago:

- Ricardo

momo

Chuck- will start trying that at some point. Do keep in mind- I want this camera to work for a wedding! I think it can but it's just a bit annoying to use because of what I mentioned. At least the AF does work into lower light than I expected which is real good news.

Took this about 30 mins ago:

- Ricardo
wondering if this is straight out of camera or something you did, the b&w, in post?...really beautiful candid/portrait...

raist3d

wondering if this is straight out of camera or something you did, the b&w, in post?...really beautiful candid/portrait...
It's from RAW, LightRoom RC 4.4, a bit of crop, contrast +50, highlights -18, clarity +64. No local changes, but global all of them.

You could setup the JPEG engine to give you something very close to this out of the box. Since I am still familiarizing myself with the camera, shot it in RAW.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, it's happened. I am switching to the X-mount as the system for both paid work and personal work. This means I am selling the K-5 and after that, the Q.

It's also means a few more things:
- I broke a vow, and I will deserve/get all the flak that goes with that. Ptomsu, go ahead :)

- I am looking at this as a "this is it." Done. I held to the K-5 for quite a while and the Q actually. The only reason I am going here is because I can eliminate two systems and use one.

- This should not mean- in any shape or form- I think the K-5 or Q (which I love and still love) are bad cameras. Or that the Fuji X is "a better camera" - may be a better camera *for my needs* but I do think the Pentaxes are *fantastic* cameras.

The only reason I am looking here is because I can carry small and have the "K-5 image quality with me everywhere." Once the pancake lens for the Xmount comes out, the X-E1 will be pocketable even in a jeans pocket I can see. It's that peculiarity what makes it work for me- even though I will miss the Q completely silent shutter.

This wasn't a decision I just "made on a weekend"- otherwise I would have bought an X-E1 several months ago.

- Raist
Hey Ricardo!

I actually fully understand where you are going. And I am meanwhile also looking into the X-System. Which would mean for me selling the OMD and lenses :)

Please keep sharing your information

and much fun / success with the XE1

Peter

raist3d

Hey Ricardo!

I actually fully understand where you are going. And I am meanwhile also looking into the X-System. Which would mean for me selling the OMD and lenses :)

Please keep sharing your information

and much fun / success with the XE1

Peter
Thanks. And well in your case I can tell you right now: think long and hard why you would jump from an OMD to the X-E1 (in current form). Unless you are really pursuing an extra notch in image quality, or the OVF of the XPro1, or the pocket-ability of the X-E1 (when the pancake lens is out in the late summer) or better ergonomics, I would say don't swap the OMD-5 for an X system.

The critical issue here is that the OMD is just faster at AF, responds faster. For landscapes this is a non issue. For other kind of shooting, you will notice the difference right away. It's not that the current Xmount is catastrophically bad, but the OMD just feels notably better on that.

Eventually the improvements Fuji made on the X100S will come to the amount, but that's like 8-14 months away (that's my guesstimate). Of course, if you intend to sell the OMD to get an X100s that's a different story- the X100s apparently is also hyper fast. I would have gotten one but I can't get past shooting only 35mm focal length equivalent. Tried that for a weekend with my Olympus 4/3rds e-620 and hated to have to do all shots in that focal length. It's just not me.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Ricardo, give a try to setting up hyper-focal distance with that 35mm and use it in full manual mode. Judging from your framing above, I'd set it at about six feet for tack sharp. My X-E1 is a completely different camera in manual focus mode. It's actually quite quick and very responsive.

Got to agree though, on autofocus it is a DOG....
I also forgot to add- if I set it hyper focal I lose the bokeh. The two shots I like the most here have some bokeh.

- Ricardo

Rich M

Ricardo.....beautiful shots all.

If you are shooting this camera one handed at times, I find the Thumbs Up for the X-E1 to change the entire camera dynamic.

R

raist3d

Rich- thanks for the recommendation. However, I want to keep the X-E1 as small as possible, so I don't see myself buying an attachment for it.

- Ricardo

krist8

Hi everyone:
My first post here, although I have been visiting for quite a while. I bought X-E1 back before Christmas, still learning and experimenting with it. I also have a Nikon D80 which is now set aside. I only have the 18-55 zoom, but bought an adapter for my Nikon lens (35mm f/2 D). Hope to buy a used Nikon 55mm f/2.8 micro.

@Ricardo
I like all you photos here, especially the B&W conversions. I am just an amateur, so do not own any of these high price LR or PS software. I am just wondering if you would try the in camera conversion provided by Fuji, what will come close to your conversion here, i.e, B&W with red filter, will it come close? Could you please post one and compare. Thanks.