The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF20 flash?

Zerimar

Hello,

I just recently acquired the X-E1 with 35 f1.4, and so far I love it! Enough so that I was thinking of selling my Canon Eos system and replacing it with the Fuji and then having the Fuji X to compliment my Hasselblad H.

I would need to adapt the X system for events, and was thinking I may add an X Pro camera to use a 2 camera setup, and was looking into the flash options and noticed there is not much online about the XF 20.

Does anyone own this? If so how do you like it? Also could you post some photos of it attached to your camera and some sample shots of what it's done for you?

corposant

Hi Rick - fellow LA shooter here. I use my X in the studio with triggers and really like the output (haven't used a DSLR for a while - just the X and my RZ).

I am curious to see if anybody uses the Fuji flash. The XF20 is kind of weak as far as flashes go, compared to using a strobist (i.e. non ETTL) setup.

Are you going to use it at live events, like weddings?

Zerimar

As far as event's go, I rarely shoot weddings, and if I am I usually am second shooting. I know I would not sell a DSLR setup if I shot weddings regularly.

The main event's I shoot either involve setting up studio lighting on location with a background and take well lit photos using pocketwizard triggers, or I shoot 'party' events such as beer festivals, for an event company that loves wide angle shots of people having a good time.

I am mainly waiting for an announcement of an X-Pro 2 and the release of the 10-24, 24 f1.4, and 56 f1.4 before I truly can jump ship with Canon and hop aboard Fuji.

corposant

If you are shooting with studio lighting, make sure the camera is not in "silent mode" - for some reason that disables the hotshoe (so you can't use PWs). Don't ask me why - I just turn the operational volume setting to zero.