The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple Aperture supports X-Trans

Braeside

Well, I must say I am favourably impressed so far. Thanks Apple, you got there in the end, and 100 times better than the god awful Adobe effort was way back.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say I am impressed with the RAW converters from Apple. I would say I like it better than what I see from Adobe .....

raist3d

Funny. Looks to me that latest LR version is way better than Apple's rendering ...

Lee
Hardly so. Both have their own set of issues. LightRoom still has some color crawl, even in the latest version.

See below and observe carefully the red diagonal of the light. It's small but it's there. There's a bit of red crawl into the yellow.

LR 4.4 left, Aperture Right.

- Ricardo

douglasf13

Aperture also doesn't have the odd smearing issue that LR has. Trees in the distance often look smeared in LR, even without pixel peeping. Aperture does have its own weird, chromatic issues going on in trouble areas, but that's a worthwhile tradeoff, IMO, as it isn't usually as noticeable.

douglasf13

I just posted this on another forum, but LR still seems pretty far behind the other converters when it comes to some areas of fine details, like foliage, although all of the converters have occasional issues with other things, like artifacts. I'm becoming convinced that I'm seeing issues with foliage in LR at pretty modest sizes, not just large crops.

Below is a test shot of the whole scene. This was just a throwaway shot, and obviously not meant to portray absolute sharpness, since it is in a moving vehicle through a windshield, but it has a lot of different areas that can show issues, and I think it is still a good photo to use in for a LR vs. Aperture comparison:

Below is a crop from LR 4.4 at "screen" size. In this case, it would be a crop from an image that would fill about a 20" monitor, so not all that huge. The settings of this are all default, except for sharpening, where I changed the detail to 8 (there's a lot of opinions about what the best LR sharpness settings are, but they all look pretty similar at this size.)

Same crop from Aperture at default settings:

And now a 100% LR crop:

Aperture 100%:

There's a pretty striking difference in foliage at 100%, but I think there's even a difference in foliage detail at a "regular" screen size, too. The Aperture crops seem more detailed in the foliage, and they don't have that painterly look. They look more normal.

What do you think?

douglasf13

Ha! Don't worry, I don't even answer my phone when I drive. I just had my camera next to me and fired a couple of quick shots aiming forward without aiming, just curious if the AF would lock. I'm certainly not driving around taking photos regularly. LOL

Ron (Netherlands)

There's a pretty striking difference in foliage at 100%, but I think there's even a difference in foliage detail at a "regular" screen size, too. The Aperture crops seem more detailed in the foliage, and they don't have that painterly look. They look more normal.
What do you think?
Indeed LR still makes the images look like watercolor paintings...

and..fwiw...iPhoto recognizes the fuji raw files

Sapphie

Funny. Looks to me that latest LR version is way better than Apple's rendering ...

Lee
I think I was mistaken, not sure what I was looking at the other day, maybe some JPGs processed by other s/w in my test folder by mistake. Today, at first glance, Aperture rendered RAWs do look better in the foliage areas.

BTW, new update for Iridient Developer is available that supports X-trans via the Apple RAW library, so I guess the images will look similar to Aperture.

Lee