The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Off camera flash with XE-1?

DavidL

Anybody used the Fujifilm EF42 Flash with X series Fuji's, I'm thinking of getting a XE-1. In doors I always use a speedlight, preferably with off camera cord (I'm old), for reportage type pics.
Thanks in advance, for any responses.
Think Canon of camera cords may work, anyone tried?
David

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm using the EF42 with Vivitar off camera flash cable. It works fine for TTL in combination with the flash adjustments in the X-Pro1/X-E1 and also the flash itself. You need to use them together if you want more than +/- 1ev compensation.

I'd pick a less tightly curled up flash cable next time but the Vivitar (or Canon) cable works. I like the fact that the Vivitar cable locks on to the flash.

One complaint about the flash is that the on/off switch is a little too loose and can flip on in the bag.

tbhv55

Anybody used the Fujifilm EF42 Flash with X series Fuji's, I'm thinking of getting a XE-1. In doors I always use a speedlight, preferably with off camera cord (I'm old), for reportage type pics.
Thanks in advance, for any responses.
Think Canon of camera cords may work, anyone tried?
David
I've read that the Canon cable works fine, although I've never tried it (I rarely use flash). However, unless you use a Fuji TTL flash then, of course, you'll be shooting manual flash only.

I also remember reading something about some (older?) flash units having very high voltage which can fry the camera. :eek: My knowledge is very sketchy about this, so please don't take this as any kind well-informed comment.:D Suffice to say that - should you decide to use a non-Fuji flash - some research would be advisable, in order to avoid any potential risk to your camera. (Apologies if I'm telling you something that you already knew.)

DavidL

Here's my update.
Got an EF42 and third party canon off camera cable, which works. Flash is a basic OK gun, not worth the RRP of £199 but I paid £140ish from Amazon, which was better. Gives accurate exposures with and without a third party Canon OC-E3 cable. Main issues, for me, is shutter speeds, you can't set a minimum shutter speed in Aperture priority, think you can in Auto iso so will have to go to manual. Also maximum flash sink is 180th so fill flash on a sunny day will be an issue.
Nikon still remains the favourite system I have used.