The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Impressed with X-E1 and 18-55

DavidL

I've been looking for a system with a good standard zoo mat a reasonable price and plumped for the Fuji. This is probably the best standard lens around at it's price, especially when bought as part of a kit.
I think the focus improved by updating to the new body firmware version 1.05, although it could be I'm getting used to the camera, I've always shot on DSLR's so there is an adjustment for me to make. The lens is more than I'd hoped for from a kit lens and I can't really fault it in real world shooting. OK it could be faster to focus and the aperture ring is a bit loose, but optically I'm really happy.
I haven't got into RAW processing, but have read all the issues. I eventually came across someone who said the latest fuji free converter V 3.2.13.0 was an improvement over the original so will give it a try. It's available here
RAW FILE CONVERTER update for Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (ver.3.2.13.0) | Fujifilm Global
So it looks like I'll be selling all my Pentax gear and making this my work camera of choice. I used it as a stop gap when I moved into retirement and to finish off a remaining contract I had. I was on Nikon prior to that, mainly for the flash system. Now I only have to supply Alamy and please myself.
Thanks to those on this forum whose experience I plugged into to make my decision.
David

tbhv55

So Devon is becoming Fuji Land ;)

David
I'm another "Fujista" in Devon:). I've used the x100 for a couple of years now, and have been considering the X-E1 for some time. It would be purely extravagant indulgence, so I could do with finding some reasons not to buy it...;). With that in mind, I'd be very interested to hear your views on the X-E1 - particularly your biggest criticisms! Thanks...
Tim.

David Schneider

David,

It maybe splitting hairs, but the 18-55 is a "kit" lenses, not a "standard" lenses. The 18-55 is much better, however, than the usual kit lens. It is a great lens. The 35mm, which I do not own, would be the standard lens and it is considered to be fantastic.

I should be receiving my 55-200 next week so I'll try the new firmware then. Some are seeing faster focusing. In any case, when the XE1 does focus it is very accurate.

DavidL

I'm another "Fujista" in Devon:). I've used the x100 for a couple of years now, and have been considering the X-E1 for some time. It would be purely extravagant indulgence, so I could do with finding some reasons not to buy it...;). With that in mind, I'd be very interested to hear your views on the X-E1 - particularly your biggest criticisms! Thanks...
Tim.
Initial use and an issue.
Not sure how I'll get on with the aperture ring as it's easy to move, something to be aware of. Also noticed I have switched it on accidentally when putting it in my bag. Other than that pretty happy.
Something to check is the built in flash, my first body (Black) "Locked up-froze" when it was used. It's a fault seen by others. Good old Mifsuds swapped it immediately for a chrome body as they hadn't got a black one available. So I'm really retro now. Did prefer the look of the black body but, to me, a camera in the hand is better than a camera at repair. Nice to have a good local dealer.
David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Initial use and an issue.
Not sure how I'll get on with the aperture ring as it's easy to move, something to be aware of. Also noticed I have switched it on accidentally when putting it in my bag. Other than that pretty happy.
Something to check is the built in flash, my first body (Black) "Locked up-froze" when it was used. It's a fault seen by others. Good old Mifsuds swapped it immediately for a chrome body as they hadn't got a black one available. So I'm really retro now. Did prefer the look of the black body but, to me, a camera in the hand is better than a camera at repair. Nice to have a good local dealer.
David
Well, I think it is intentional that the aperture ring moves easily, as it is only a virtual aperture ring - right?

Never ever had an issue with that, simply see in the VF what aperture currently is on.

tbhv55

Not sure how I'll get on with the aperture ring as it's easy to move
Presumably, it's click stopped, but you're saying that the detente on each click isn't strong enough? If so, I wonder if that applies across the whole range of x-series lenses?

Good old Mifsuds swapped it immediately for a chrome body as they hadn't got a black one available.
Yes, I've always found Mifsuds good to deal with, and of course they're conveniently close.

So I'm really retro now.
:D:D

DavidL

Presumably, it's click stopped, but you're saying that the detente on each click isn't strong enough? If so, I wonder if that applies across the whole range of x-series lenses?

I would like it to be a little stronger, I've not used the camera for long enough to say it's an issue but just something to be aware of. ptomsu said above he has never ever had an issue with it. He's used it more than me and you don't here much comment about it, so probably not really an issue
Retro Dave My new title maybe?:D