The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-E1 with Leica lens

Hi,
I have an X-E1 with the 18-55 and was waiting for the new pancake lens to come out.but now I'm intrigued by getting a Leica 28 or 35mm m lens with the adapter. What is the focal length magnification? I would love some feedback from anyone who has tried the combination in any focal length.

Thanks!

back alley

i'm curious as to what intrigues you about a leica 28 or 35?

according to the fuji roadmap the 27 pancake might be here in june...i think it would be perfect with the xe-1 body.

sensor crop is 1.5 so a 28 would have a 42 fov...35 a 52 fov...27=40 etc.

I would really love to get a Leica M, but I hate/very bad at rangefinder focusing. I'm also mainly using this as a fun/travel camera. So it's really not worth over $6000 for a full Leica system. The 27 pancake might end up being the ideal lens to compliment the zoom. But I think getting 1 Leica lens to use on it would make the experience "cooler" for lack of a better word. It would just add that mystique of history of photography to it. It's not something that's necessary or might not make sense to everyone. And this is definitely not a "business decision." Just something that would make photography a little more fun, when I'm not on a work shoot. Plus it has an actual manual focus, not the by the wire thing...

Thanks

white.elephant

I just got my Fuji to M adapter and mounted my Zeiss 35mm Biogon on it the last two dys for some walk around street shooting and I couldn't be happier with the shooting process of manual focus with the EVF and zone focus with OVF. Also, the image quality is spectacular.

Smoothjazz

I have a Summilux 50mm lens on the X-E1 and think the combination is fantastic. The Leica lens is like magic. I also use the 90mm Summicron with good results as a short Tele, for close up shots- the EVF helps to use the longer lens, even easier than using it on my Leica M9.

back alley

i use minolta md mount lenses on my fuji ex1...focus is easy enough...image quality is good.
so far i have used the 58/1.4 lens...i just bought a 200/4.5 and have a 35/2.8 & 135 on the way.

volkerhopf

Cool,
I'll probably get a used 35 in the next couple of months. Thanks for all the info!!!
If you want to try a leica lens why not go for the 40mm Summicron. It is small, close in performance to the 35mm and best value for money! I take it with me as my low light lens all the time.

retow

I suggest to use Fuji AF lenses and M-lenses as gap fillers. E.g. a fast 50mm M-mounts as a 75mm e. or a 90mm as a 135mm e.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Josh I have both a Leica 28mm 'Cron and a pre-asph 35mm 'Cron that I use on my X-E1 all the time. Both are stunning on the X-E1. You say though that rangefinder focusing is not your cup of tea so I would have to wonder how much different it would be for you on the Fuji?

Ron (Netherlands)

Love it!

Until now I only used legacy (Leica and FSU) lenses with the X-E1 especially the 90mm and 35mm Summicrons, using the little tele 90mm and 135mm now more and more than when I was shooting with a digital M. Further I think the 3x and 10x magnification in the viewfinder makes focussing - after some experience - easier than with the rangefinder. For wide I make use of the 12 Heliar in LTM. I bought a USD 10 Chinese M-X adapter. You can also use TLM lenses using again the TLM-M adapter.

Here's one recently shot with the 35mm f 3.5 summaron - one of the cheapest Leica lenses, small, light weight, built Leica quality:

this one shot with a 35mm summicron (I have all types, but recall this was type 3):

summicron 90mm shot from the roof:

I hate having to match up the spit images in the VF of the Leica... that's what I'm referring to when I say focusing with the rangefinder. I prefer the other way to manual focus, like Nikon, Hassy, etc.