The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-E1 Review

fotografz

ANY camera can be pro level if it is in the hands of a professional photographer. The only real distinction any more is that a pro has to deliver, and deliver consistently. So, the choice of tools is important in making sure that happens.

The other point of what and how you shoot plays a big role. I use a Leica rangefinder for paying work, but not all paying work. I shot a whole campaign for a medical clinic with people at work ... where the M digital was the right tool for discreet, available light work.

It would be less likely I'd use a M for dancing at a dark wedding reception hall even though I probably could, because a 35mm AF DSLR is more of a sure thing. "Sure thing" is partly why I get paid.

I'm not married to any tool or brand of tool ... I'm after getting the shots. Like my lighting tech once exclaimed after looking at some finished work ... "He does it every time." No big deal, it comes with the territory ... every time.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
To add whatever tool gets the job done in the most effective way that does not get in the way of the shooter is usually the best tool for the job. I cant rely solely on the Fuji nor a Leica M to do that. Some aspects of my work yes i can surely do that but when money is on the line. I'm grabbing the most versatile tool regardless of what brand or kind that is. Like Marc i'm married to a woman not a tool. If the tool dont work I'll drop it off a cliff for one that does.

fotografz

If the tool dont work I'll drop it off a cliff for one that does.
Something I considered doing with the A99 during the last shoot :eek:. However, I have to admit liking it for most other stuff, and I kept a A900 for when an OVF is the better solution.

Question: I absolutely hate the A99's set up for review. Either you can have it with full time EVF and no auto LCD review (you have to press the LCD review button), or full time auto review on both ... which is really disorienting to have a still image come up in the viewfinder while in the heat of shooting. This really gets in the way of jobs like weddings, or any "of the moment" type work.

How do these Fujis work in that regard?

Thanks,

Marc

Guy Mancuso

They come up on the LCD when you take your eye away from the EVF. But if you hold your eye on the EVF it comes up there, I think. I turned review off as it makes shooting faster.

I think you have some options though, lets see what others have to say. I only have used it for a few things so far. Just got it like 2 months ago

monza

Options for review are:

Off, 1.5 sec, 3 sec, or continuous (review persists until cancelled by pressing shutter button; goes back to live view.)

Choose Off/1.5/3/Continous by going into the menu, to the 2nd 'wrench' setting, and select IMAGE DISP.

If review is ON, press the View Mode button to cycle between these three settings:

a. shoot with EVF, review on EVF (with nothing on the LCD)
b. shoot with LCD, review on LCD (with nothing on the EVF)
c. Eye Sensor (shoot/review with EVF or LCD depending on if your eye is at the viewfinder)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Options for review are:

Off, 1.5 sec, 3 sec, or continuous (review persists until cancelled by pressing shutter button; goes back to live view.)

Choose Off/1.5/3/Continous by going into the menu, to the 2nd 'wrench' setting, and select IMAGE DISP.

If review is ON, press the View Mode button to cycle between these three settings:

a. shoot with EVF, review on EVF (with nothing on the LCD)
b. shoot with LCD, review on LCD (with nothing on the EVF)
c. Eye Sensor (shoot/review with EVF or LCD depending on if your eye is at the viewfinder)
I never have figured out just why they have these options in the first place. I have mine set the same way you do Guy, this stuff all turned off so the camera shoots faster. When you want to see what your shooting, I mean it isn't like it takes rocket science to press the image review button?

I guess it is all part of that "got to get the shot" training. Hard to get "the" shot when all those that aren't keep moving slowly past your screen! :cussing:

Guy Mancuso

LOL yes I have review off and agree Chuck. I will just chimp with the play button when needed. I do keep the eye sensor on as sometimes Ill use the EVF and than other the LCD for shooting that is. My problem is reading glasses and shooting with the LCD is a PITA.

Frankly the whole reading glasses period is my biggest frustration just being a photographer. Its constantly a issue, on , off, on head, around neck, on floor, thrown across the room, left on computer, in my mouth and frankly sometimes I would like to stick it where the sun don't shine. ROTFLMAO

Ulfric Douglas

The first company to build in a typical DSLR review behaviour will win many sales : all it takes is to treat the EVF & LCD as two separate entities which can display at the same time with different behaviours. Take your eye from the EVF to check the LCD showing the review while the EVF is still showing the live view. Not rocket science.
So far NONE of the makers of MILFs have bothered to do this, I consider it basic laziness.

Paratom

The first company to build in a typical DSLR review behaviour will win many sales : all it takes is to treat the EVF & LCD as two separate entities which can display at the same time with different behaviours. Take your eye from the EVF to check the LCD showing the review while the EVF is still showing the live view. Not rocket science.
So far NONE of the makers of MILFs have bothered to do this, I consider it basic laziness.
I fully agree. Sometimes it is not easy to understand what they think!

fotografz

I never have figured out just why they have these options in the first place. I have mine set the same way you do Guy, this stuff all turned off so the camera shoots faster. When you want to see what your shooting, I mean it isn't like it takes rocket science to press the image review button?

I guess it is all part of that "got to get the shot" training. Hard to get "the" shot when all those that aren't keep moving slowly past your screen! :cussing:
That how I have the A99 set ... review off, and press the review button to check the LCD.

However, while not rocket science, it IS a PITA when shooting fast and you have been used to a quick, split second glance ... plus, half the time I'm shooting in near dark conditions and have to find the button ... something that'll become muscle memory eventually I guess.

IT GETS IN THE WAY ... SO IT SUCKS, and is AMATEUR HOUR type stuff.

In my humble opinion.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Btw just hooked this up to my strobes via a PW and it syncs at 1/125. 1/250 shutter I was getting the curtain shadow. Good enough for my uses. Actually having the same issue with my D800e with 1/250th being a issue both with PW and with a sync cord. Now that one bugs me as this is my primary. I'm not getting a heavy shadow but a faint darkening at the bottom of the frame. It's not my Dynalites either as I powered down to fastest flash duration as well.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
That how I have the A99 set ... review off, and press the review button to check the LCD.

However, while not rocket science, it IS a PITA when shooting fast and you have been used to a quick, split second glance ... plus, half the time I'm shooting in near dark conditions and have to find the button ... something that'll become muscle memory eventually I guess.

IT GETS IN THE WAY ... SO IT SUCKS, and is AMATEUR HOUR type stuff.

In my humble opinion.

- Marc
Ha! Couldn't agree more Marc. That BS is the main reason I sold my A77. I can't stand my camera trying to tell me how I am going to shoot, or getting in my way trying to "save" me from myself! If I want to screw it up, that's my right.

Next thing you know, they will have some little voice (available in ten different languages, male and sexy female voice options too!) trying to lecture us on everything we just did wrong that last shutter press.... :dh2:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Btw just hooked this up to my strobes via a PW and it syncs at 1/125. 1/250 shutter I was getting the curtain shadow. Good enough for my uses. Actually having the same issue with my D800e with 1/250th being a issue both with PW and with a sync cord. Now that one bugs me as this is my primary. I'm not getting a heavy shadow but a faint darkening at the bottom of the frame. It's not my Dynalites either as I powered down to fastest flash duration as well.
Guy, I'm not sure which model of PW you have, but some of them will actually do high speed sync on your D800. Not so sure it would work on the Fuji though.

Pocketwizard® - Wireless transmitters and receivers

Guy Mancuso

It's the new PlusX with my Dynalites not the Nikon SB 910. I read somewhere and can't remember where someone else was reporting the same issue with there D800e. Given the sync cord and the PW had the same issue, I'm afraid it points to the cam. Which sucks, I'm tempted to add another D800e after next months big gig anyway. I have a good one but I still feel my sensor is every so slightly off on the left side also.