The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-E1 Review

For anyone who's interested, I've just published my review of the Fujifilm X-E1 camera.

Fujifilm X-E1 Review

My overall impression of this camera is that, while they share much of their internals, it's not built to complement the X-Pro1 (which is really built for pros), but rather for what I like to call "photo enthusiasts". That is, those who like photography, and may shoot a lot, but don't really care about the details of the equipment. At least that's my take on Fuji's intentions with this camera.

As always, please feel free to ask a question or leave a comment on the site! I'm always happy to get some feedback there. :)

Last edited:

David Schneider

As for the XE1 being for "photo enthusiats," my Canon 5dmk2 quit in the middle of a studio session just today. Took out my XE1 and just continued on as if nothing had happened. Quality is equal, jpg's are great so don't even need to convert raw files. I could have gone with my Hasselblad H3d2-39, but it would have been overkill for this client.

In addition, the XE1 with it's smaller size was a joy on 4 week, 4,000 image trip to Europe. Traveling very light, the pop-up flash of the XE1 (lacking on larger X-Pro1) was surprisingly handy and smaller size of the XE1 was welcome when you are wearing it virtually all day, every day.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a "photo enthusiast." I think to get the best out of the XE1 or X-Pro1 one needs to be well versed in at least the basics of photography. These cameras are not for those that want a nice point and shoot. And I am one who "cares about the details of the equipment."

Why does the XE1 have to complement the X-Pro1? It's a separate camera who's files are exactly equal to the X-Pro1. Does the BMW 3 series have to complement the BMW 7 series? My tuxedo doesn't complement my regular suit. This isn't paring a wine with dinner. It's just a tool to get you a great file. You like the X-Pro1 better. Sweet. That's how your feel. It works better for you and I'm glad Fuji made two models that we both can enjoy in our own way. But it doesn't make one better than the other, just different. And, again, files will be the same.

As with all cameras, the most important piece of equipment is about 6" or 15cm in back of the lens.

Hey David.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you didn't read my review...at all.

I've basically said a lot of what you've mentioned above. In my review, I try to make it clear that it's not the camera for me, but that it's still a great camera.

Also, by calling it a camera for "photo enthusiasts", I'm suggesting that that is what Fuji's marketing department is envisioning, not of what I think the camera is capable. (Perhaps re-read my OP?) I've seen plenty of iPhone photos that are better than Phase One photos! It all has to do with personal preference here.

I also say in my review that some people will prefer the X-E1 over the X-Pro, and so you're a great example of that! And I also say that they provide the same image quality, which you have also pointed out. Ditto with the smaller size, the flash, etc.

Any camera can be used by a professional to get professional results...that's not too difficult to figure out. Professionals know what they're doing. What's harder is getting an amateur to produce consistently great results on a camera that's advanced enough to be considered a professional camera.

I think that using a "tunnel" OVF can be very challenging for those used to SLRs or P&S cameras, and so the X-E1 is more accessible in that manner. (Yes, the X-Pro1 has an EVF too, but why pay more for a bigger camera if you're not going to use the OVF?) Again, nothing to do with what the camera can do, but rather, to whom it's marketed.

The X-E1 also has all of the automatic modes and film simulations, etc., that consumers want. Sometimes professionals use those features too, but it's mainly non-professionals who drive those features to be included.

I said that the camera is aimed at photo enthusiasts who might not care about all the technical details of their equipment. I didn't say you didn't care about those details. But what the design means is that someone who doesn't care about them can have a great experience none the less.

I also never said that the X-E1 should complement the X-Pro1. I just said it didn't. With the mirrorless market becoming more and more crowded, I find it interesting to see where manufacturers position their products. No one is talking about BMWs or Tuxedos here!

A while ago I wrote a review on the X10, and I loved it. No it's not very expensive, the image quality isn't up to par with X-Pro1 or X-E1 (let alone my Phase One back), it's a fixed zoom, etc., etc., but I still thoroughly enjoyed using it. It just worked for me. The X-E1 didn't. And I say just that in my review.

Finally, I'm not sure why there seems to be this type of deep-seeded reaction to criticisms of a product. I'm not criticising you or your choice or how you arrived at your choice. I'm delivering my observations of a particular product. I think all too often we see it as a personal attack when someone doesn't like something we've spent our hard-earned money on. We want others to affirm our decision to buy A over B.

David Schneider

JR,

I did read your review. I think it's fine. We agree pretty much. What I disagreed with much more was your post. "My overall impression of this camera is that, while they share much of their internals, it's not built to complement the X-Pro1 (which is really built for pros), but rather for what I like to call "photo enthusiasts". I couldn't tell if you were trying to say you felt the XE1 needs to complement the XPro1 or you were saying it was intentionally built not to complement the XPro1.

I have no problem with anyone criticizing the Fuji line. Heck, I have a list of things I'd like them to work on myself. Unlike many reviews I've seen you have some experience with both models so your observations are more useful than someone who just gets a body in the mail and writes a review.

I guess there's no way to define "photo enthusiast" and that's the problem. Frankly, I don't care very much about X-tran or CMOS or CCD sensor as long as I get the results I need. Yes, I do know what the differences are, but that's why we pick up one camera or another for a particular type of photography. I don't care how image stabilization actually works; I just want to know where the button is to turn it on or off. So I don't care about all the technical details about equipment. But I do understand what your point is about the target market for the X series. I do think the target market may have been larger than expected in that you've got users moving from dslr's and those who might have longed for a Leica M in addition to the person moving from p&s to something more capable.

Have to say, I think an amateur can get pretty darn consistent results with a p&s or dslr today if you are just talking about a well exposed file. Add to that instant gratification, instant review of an image in the lcd, etc. and they can get results that make them happy. But " consistently great results" is what a professional has to do to stay in business.

Yes. I think most professionals don't use the film simulations that much. Most professionals probably see the final result in their mind before they release the shutter, then give it some attention in Photoshop to get the result they envisioned rather than be saddled with a particular film simulation. But I think there's nothing wrong with using an automatic mode as long as you know when and how to over-ride it.

What I see when it comes to criticism of the X series is people want the camera to do everything possible under the photographic sun. They want medium format quality at ultra high iso with amazing focusing ability in a lightweight, small form package with inexpensive lenses and a build that will last for a generation. Well, maybe the tooth fairy will bring them the perfect camera, but it's not here yet. And the closest thing to it is a high quality dslr as it does most things very well. I've also seen some reviews that I had the feeling the reviewer panned a camera just because he had big fingers and couldn't get to easily make adjustments on the camera.

Bottom line is we agree on most things. Sometimes we write something and it's harder to clarify than if we had a face to face conversation. Sorry if I'm splitting hairs or dissecting some obscure line of mishnah.

I think we're in vehement agreement!

Again, my comment re. the X-E1 for photo enthusiasts and not professionals is my take on where Fuji's marketers are positioning the camera. That's why I said it doesn't complement the X-Pro1. The marketing department clearly markets the X-Pro1 to pros, and overall, I don't think they intend the X-E1 to compete or be complementary with the X-Pro1 - they're aiming at a slightly different segment.

But again, that's my speculation on Fuji's intentions, not my opinion of the camera's capabilities.

Hope that clarifies things! :)

I'd also like to just add that this whole published camera/equipment review thing is quite new to me! I'm always looking to improve and give my readers more of what they want...whatever that is.

I think I can offer something that a lot of other review sites don't, and that's personal opinion. I tend not to go into too much detail on technical specs and pixel-peeping comparisons with other gear, but instead talk about my overall impression, the feel, the je ne sais quoi that can't be conveyed by technical specs and numbers.

There are plenty of other resources for tech specs and whatnot, but to me, those numbers have very little value if the camera isn't a joy to use...and that can only be described by personal (and subjective) opinion.

That said, if readers want something else or if I'm not doing a good job of providing that editorial view, I'd love to know what it is I can do to change!

David Schneider

But I think it's safe to say if Fuji decides to discontinue one of these models, it's the X-Pro1 that's going to be laid to rest.

At least in ads in (so called) professional photography magazines (Rangefinder, PPA) I really haven't noticed a difference in the ads for either camera. I was talking to a guy from Hasselblad in NYC and we were talking about the high number of non-professionals who use rather expensive and high end medium format digital cameras. His estimation was at at least 1/3 of the market is made up of non-professionals and without them the majority of the medium format market would be in danger of collapsing. The point is aiming marketing at professionals is not just marketing aimed at professionals.

DavidL

What I've come to like in the X-E1 is the electronic viewfinder. As an "Oldie" it's a new thing to me and I love the fact I can see my exposure and depth of field, to some extent. OK I'm sure they will get better but for now I'm just enjoying something new and would like to see an improved version in the X Pro2.
David

Ron (Netherlands)

Hmm, not exactly a review, but more a statement about not liking a camera, and hardly substantiated - by comparison of personal feelings towards using a 'pro' camera (what is a pro camera anyway?). Further referring to what Fuji would describe as a pro camera or not as an argument for your statement made me think you were weakening the seriousness of your 'review' :) no offence really: I really am interested in other members opinions about the quirks of a camera and what they like about it and not.....

Last edited:
Ron, in all seriousness, can I ask what would constitute a "review" to you (seeing as you think this is not one)?

I generally want to avoid long lists of technical specs and pixel-peeping 100% crop side-by-side comparisons. There are way too many other sites out there that do a great job of that. I want my reviews/write-ups/whatever-you-want-to-call-them to have a personal touch - an actual human opinion from someone who's really used the camera.

For this review, given how similar the X-E1 and X-Pro1 cameras are, I didn't want to repeat myself from my X-Pro1 review (to which I refer at the beginning of the write-up). For that reason, I didn't go into image quality, speed, etc., because they are identical to the X-Pro1.

I do disagree with your analysis of my review, however. I don't say that I don't like the camera. In fact, I say that it's a great camera, but that it's not the camera for me. The only substantial difference between the X-E1 and the X-Pro1 is the viewfinder, and it's this difference that has me choose the X-Pro1.

This has nothing to do with a "pro" label, and I never said that I would only use a "pro" camera. What I said is that *I* would buy the X-Pro1 over the X-E1. Given that they're nearly identical cameras (save the viewfinder), and how little the price differential is, I would just go for the X-Pro1.

But I also say that the X-E1 could be a great compromise for a lot of people and that some photographers (and I've met a few) would prefer the X-E1 for all the reasons I mention in the article.

Bugleone

The problem here is that this is not a review but merely a superficial and negatively toned impression........(As it happens I don't use a fuji camera, am never likely to do so and have never seen any fuji camera in the 'flesh')

This impression of the XE-1 foundered with the early mention of the phrase "photo enthusiast", which is effectivley a curse to any camera! Your impression simplified comes across as;

............" I have the status of being a pro photographer who uses artistic and photographic skills and I would not use this camera because it's mainly 'for' people who like having cameras but have no skills or abilities to make successful images..."

The problem here is that this is not a review but merely a superficial and negatively toned impression........(As it happens I don't use a fuji camera, am never likely to do so and have never seen any fuji camera in the 'flesh')

This impression of the XE-1 foundered with the early mention of the phrase "photo enthusiast", which is effectivley a curse to any camera! Your impression simplified comes across as;

............" I have the status of being a pro photographer who uses artistic and photographic skills and I would not use this camera because it's mainly 'for' people who like having cameras but have no skills or abilities to make successful images..."
A) The only time I used the words "photo enthusiast" is here, on GetDPI, in regards to my impression of to whom Fuji is marketing this camera, and at the very end of my write-up to say that it would be "a welcome gift". Hardly a kiss of death! This has already been discussed above.

B) Your 'paraphrase' of my write-up couldn't be further from correct. I'm quite clear that the X-E1 is not a bad camera and that the only significant difference between it and the X-Pro1 is the viewfinder, and that I far prefer the optical viewfinder in the X-Pro1 over that of the X-E1. I also say that other's prefer the X-E1.

C) What's the point of saying "I don't use a fuji camera, am never likely to do so and have never seen any fuji camera in the 'flesh'"? Why is that relevant to anything?

If I'm wrong, and I do come off as sounding like I wouldn't use a camera simply because it isn't the most expensive or doesn't have the "pro" designation, then I've clearly missed the mark in my writing and need to clarify my impression...because THAT is not it.

Bugleone

In preparing any review or technical appraisal, (as I know to my cost!) it's vital to keep away from 'subliminal damnation' and by including phrases such as "photo enthusiast", "consumer friendly" & "hard not to at least like it" etc, you have administered crushing backhanded compliments, frankly! In addition, your "....I'm a pro so this is not for me" comments are at the very least unhelpful. To someone like me who has never seen the camera let alone had the chance to handle and inspect it, but who would like to, the impression given is that this is NOT for serious image makers whether pro or otherwise......After all is said; that's the reason I read your 'review', ie, to find out about something that interests me.........

My comment that you have quoted in 'C' was to ascertain that I am not offended by your damning a camera that I have spent money on, or that I have any allegiance to, so I'm trying to be constructive here,...I'm not a slapped fanboy!

fotografz

Personally, I am interested ... not in all the critiques of the critiques this thread seems to have triggered, but in this class of camera. I am in the market to buy one because I opted out of the M240 I ordered, and decided to concentrate on M Mono work with a rangefinder.

The above situation leaves me without a smallish color camera for certain applications ... applications that do not warrant spending $7,000 on a M240 body. However, just because I may scale back the camera, I am NOT about to suddenly alter my way of shooting as a professional photographer, or the situations I may use such a camera for. I do not have an enthusiast/professional switch on my brain.

So, I for one appreciate someone actually expressing a personal opinion about certain features. If a reviewer simply delivers neutral data in prose form with some photos, I can get that faster from reading the specification page and looking a "fun with" thread. One is free to filter out certain opinions based on having different criteria than the reviewer, but still appreciate someone actually having an opinion based on their use.

I like, want, prefer someone to say that the "inclusion of an adjustable diopter is more consumer friendly" ... because it IS. Anyone who has gone through all the BS of adding a screw in diopters on a Leica M will appreciate that information, in that context as a reminder. In fact, if I wrote the review I'd warn inexperienced buyers what a major PITA not having an adjustable diopter in some of these cameras can be ... because it IS!

I also really appreciate the reviewer's opinion regarding the lack of a hybrid OVF/EVF ... and I'd probably make the same distinction between both cameras ... the X-E1 being more of an "enthusiasts" camera. Not because Fuji is marketing it as such ... I couldn't care less what Fuji's target marketing may be.

My opinion on this viewfinder subject is based on direct experience in trying to use a EVF only camera for various Professional applications ... namely the Sony A99, and Sony NEX cameras. Just because a Pro can use an EVF camera in some specific situation, doesn't mean it works in all the various situations one may professionally encounter, or expect such a camera to perform in. In the case of EVF only cameras I am of the opinion that none of them are Pro level :shocked: ... yet. Not because a Pro can't use one to shoot professional, for pay photography. That isn't the point. The point is that pro camera can NOT get in the way when the chips are down, and these EVF only cameras DO get in the way ... often at the most critical moment. :banghead:

Despite all the "you get what you see" advantages of an EVF, the disadvantages in certain "must have" situations makes it not ready for prime time. I was reminded of this ... again ... at last Friday's wedding gig. I had to let my second shooter use my A900, and had to shoot with the A99 ... at one point I considered smashing the freaking thing on the concrete :angry: ... not because I don't know how to use it, I've had the camera for quite awhile now ... for one thing (one of many), because the refresh rate was to slow, and at the dark wedding reception the viewfinder was streaking. There is a host of other BS I had to over-come ... but this isn't a review of the A99.

My thanks to the reviewer for his impressions and opinions ... and IMHO next time get more aggressive with them, because beating around the bush doesn't help anyone in collecting various reviews about a possible purchase ... and who cares what critiques current owners may have of your review ... they already made a decision and are free to express their opinion by way of counter points based on their experiences ... preferably by writing their own review. ;)

- Marc

Paratom

I think I have written it somewhere else before:
One of the biggest advantages in the X-System I found was/is that OVF/HybridVF. Thats why I really did not understand why so many prefer the xe1 over the x-pro1.
I sold my x-pro1 for other reasons, but if I would get back in it would allways be the x1-pro again.
I have used EVF again over the last days with the X-Vario, and for me all EVF I have tried are still a compromise. Specially if the light gets bright and harsh OVF is much better working for me.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well obviously you're not interested, but then, you don't have to read it, do you?
I actually referred not to the original topic of this thread, which is interesting, but the direction it was moving since some pretty long time .....