The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why do you use mirrorless?

Paratom

I just wondered why there seem many people using mirrorless cameras nowadays.
Each time I take my DSLR I experience how nice it is to look through an optical viewfinder, how fast AF can be (including continues AF). For years people have switched from dx-sized DSLRs to full-frame DSLRs with the argument that ff-sensors are better.
I use both kinds of cameras, but sometimes I ask myself if it is not easier to take good images with a DSLR.
Is it really the size/weight issue that people don't want to carry around a DSLR-sized camera?

Godfrey

In no particular order...

Size, Weight, Noise
Compatibility with M-bayonet mount lenses
Reduced vibration
Live histogram
Same image quality as same format DSLR cameras.

G

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I just wondered why there seem many people using mirrorless cameras nowadays.
Each time I take my DSLR I experience how nice it is to look through an optical viewfinder, how fast AF can be (including continues AF). For years people have switched from dx-sized DSLRs to full-frame DSLRs with the argument that ff-sensors are better.
I use both kinds of cameras, but sometimes I ask myself if it is not easier to take good images with a DSLR.
Is it really the size/weight issue that people don't want to carry around a DSLR-sized camera?
I like RF. Much faster than AF. That plus the compactness.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Same here. Size & weight advantages.

I can't cram fifty pounds of gear into a two pound bag that I can carry anymore, so now I just cram two pounds of gear into a jacket pocket. Heaven!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For me its size and weight as a travel, backup cam. Plus its fun
Ditto. I much prefer using my Fuji X series cameras than my Nikons.

I still use my medium format gear as my premium outfit but there are many many situation where the Fujis are more convenient and the quality of the images are more than good enough these days. The Fuji glass is excellent too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If I am anything here on this forum as a leader per say my main message to anyone shooting photography is its always about the fun of it. Its what brought me into the business when i was a teenager and it will last until they drop the box lid on me. These damn things are just flat out fun to shoot and I love it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really love mirrorless (OMD, XP1, etc), as was pointed out here in depth!

Interestingly enough the longer I use different mirrorless systems, I found again more desire to use "normal" DSLR - D800E, 5D3 etc. - mainly because of great lenses available for the different systems and the exceptional IQ one gets - for FF DSLR mirrorless is still NO competition IMHO! Also still nothing can compete with a great FF DSLR OVF!

Well, I love the image quality of my X-E1, it is fun to use. And most importantly, the models seem to like it. I have never gotten that many positive reactions to a camera. Of course, as soon as the subject moves a lot, the AF becomes too slow.

Bugleone

I'm not a Fuji user as yet, just researching the brand to hopefully replace my Sony NEX. However, I could not help commenting;.....nobody has mentioned that mirrorless is a more 'low key' style of photography which is much less intrusive........

...........I changed to NEX from pentax dslr's and have been very pleased with that 'progress'. A bye product which came as a surprise is that you can point a NEX in any social situation and not get the aggresive reactions that come with the 'black plastic blob'.......you're just another camera clicking tourist/spectator/bystander.

Also, there's the matter of being able to use more or less ANY lens you want too.....something not available with the pentax and it's over 10 years of making DSLR's now and there's STILL NO MEDIUM WIDE FOR PENTAX!!!!!! Sony announced their 24mmf2 withing 6 months of launch and Fuji has followed suit.....

Godfrey

I'm not a Fuji user as yet, just researching the brand to hopefully replace my Sony NEX. However, I could not help commenting;.....nobody has mentioned that mirrorless is a more 'low key' style of photography which is much less intrusive........

...........I changed to NEX from pentax dslr's and have been very pleased with that 'progress'. A bye product which came as a surprise is that you can point a NEX in any social situation and not get the aggresive reactions that come with the 'black plastic blob'.......you're just another camera clicking tourist/spectator/bystander.

Also, there's the matter of being able to use more or less ANY lens you want too.....something not available with the pentax and it's over 10 years of making DSLR's now and there's STILL NO MEDIUM WIDE FOR PENTAX!!!!!! Sony announced their 24mmf2 withing 6 months of launch and Fuji has followed suit.....
I liked the DA21 Limited as my medium wide on Pentax and use the CV Color Skopar 21/4 on the GXR the same way. Not a direct 35mm EFoV replacement, but it works well.

Paratom

As I understand weight/size and fun to use are the main reasons for most people.
I am a little bit with Peter, each time I use the DSLR again I enjoy the ease of use and the speed.
But I also admit that I am having fun with the x-vario, even though I miss an optical viewfinder. (By the way - I find the x-pro 1 viewfinder the best viewfinder of all mirrorless cameras).

Shashin

Well, my first "mirrorless" was a Mamiya 6--if you don't include all the view cameras that did not have mirrors. I then used a Horseman SW612, which also did not have a mirror. I also has a Hexar AF and Widelux. I used a Nikonos V for a while. My Kodak Retina was great too. I tired an Agfa folder, but I already had a Mamiya 6 which was such a better camera.

My first personal digital camera was an E-P1. I do have a FF digital, which is also mirrorless--RX-1. Just a hair bigger than my E-P1.

Why did I buy these cameras? Because I thought they were cool.

Tim

Size and weight like Godfrey said.

I also think lens quality $ for $ is better with mirror-less than DSLR. There are more bargain lenses that yield super quality with mirror-less. Examples - the Panasonic 20mm f.17 and the Olympus 45mm m43. I think its easier to design and make a lens work better for the smaller sensors (generally) in mirror-less cameras.

Like others said, fun....

A DSLR is like driving a Camry, the OMD more like driving a Mini Cooper S. There - someone had to bring up a car comparison! :LOL:

Godfrey

Size and weight like Godfrey said.

I also think lens quality $ for $ is better with mirror-less than DSLR. There are more bargain lenses that yield super quality with mirror-less. Examples - the Panasonic 20mm f.17 and the Olympus 45mm m43. I think its easier to design and make a lens work better for the smaller sensors (generally) in mirror-less cameras.
Both of the examples you stated were for Micro-FourThirds. They perform very well indeed despite being reasonably inexpensive lenses because of the embedded lens correction processing that the Micro-FourThirds spec pioneered in production camera systems.

A good way to see the effect of the lens correction processing is to take a standard raw file made with the 20mm and process it with Lightroom and dcraw. dcraw does not implement the lens correction processing, LR does ... ;-)

That said, it's certainly easier to make short focal length lenses for mFT, NEX and fujix than for any SLR mount due to the short mount registration distance.

G

David Schneider

Original poster is correct. The DSLR is a great compromise. Quality is excellent, weight not too bad, durable, fast focusing, high iso capable, etc. etc. etc. But my Fuji XE1 is the one that goes with me on a trip, is a wonderful backup system that's lightweight, and is kind of fun to use.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's certainly true for me that if I need 100% fast reliable AF performance than I still reach for my unloved Nikons. Despite claims about having the worlds fastest AF No mirror less camera I've ever used has come close to my DSLR when it came to action or fast paced photography.

The systems are just simply different and it's a matter of deciding which trade offs you are prepared to accept. Travel, lens option fun, light weight, smaller size, discretion, etc etc all come to mind.

I've yet to find even the hint of the 'perfect' camera for everyone in every situation.