The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M to Fuji X

anthonysemone

Just got an X-E1 and the Fuji M to X adapter. I really like shooting with lenses in FF equivalent of 28 to 50. I don't know squat about Leica lenses, other than that most of them are priced waaaayyyyy beyond my paygrade :D

What would you all recommend as a first, reasonably priced option for an M-mount lens to the X-E1? Zeiss ZM? Voigtlander?

TIA,

tony

Godfrey

Just got an X-E1 and the Fuji M to X adapter. I really like shooting with lenses in FF equivalent of 28 to 50. I don't know squat about Leica lenses, other than that most of them are priced waaaayyyyy beyond my paygrade :D

What would you all recommend as a first, reasonably priced option for an M-mount lens to the X-E1? Zeiss ZM? Voigtlander?

TIA,

tony
Same format as I use with the GXR-M.

My standard kit is CV 21/4 for wide, CV 40/1.4 for a longish normal, and M-Rokkor 90/4 for a modest tele. For a "one lens day" the CV Ultron 28/2 or Color Skopar 28/3.5 are also excellent.

How well the XE-1 sensor does with these lens designs I cannot say.

G

My experience is with X1-Pro but having the same sensor I believe is applicable to the XE-1 as well.
Wide lenses (35mm and below) in general do not perform very well due to the absence of dedicated micro lenses and long lenses are difficult to focus due to the low refresh rate and missing stabilization.
In the middle I had satisfactory experience with all Leica lenses, with the 40 mm Rokkor with the 40mm Nokton and with the 50mm/ 1. Nokton and 50mm/1.5 Nokton.
In general the best choice with this camera is to use native dedicated lenses, only if you already have M lenses it may be reasonable to invest a small amount of money buying an adaptor.

ReeRay

I use an array of M mount lenses on my X-E1 including Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander and Konica Hexanon covering the range of 35mm - 90mm. All perform excellently but the out and out favourite is my Voigtlander Nokton Classic MC 35mm F1.4 which can be found at very reasonable $$. This lens does tend to barrel but the dial in correction facility deals with this perfectly.

wosim

TIA,

tony
I am very satisfied with the Voigtländer Ultron 1.9 28mm and the Nokton 1.4 40mm - the last one really tiny and tack sharp - on my Leica M9.

Information to nearly any M-mount lens I collect here:
https://sites.google.com/site/wosimsphotography/links-testberichte-reviews

Maybe it's helpful for you.

white.elephant

My experience is with X1-Pro but having the same sensor I believe is applicable to the XE-1 as well.
Wide lenses (35mm and below) in general do not perform very well due to the absence of dedicated micro lenses and long lenses are difficult to focus due to the low refresh rate and missing stabilization.
My experience is similar. I shot my beloved 35mm ZM Biogon on my X-Pro 1, and while the lens drew exactly as I expected, in a lively way, and I was easy to focus and use, there was smearing in the corners of the frame.

In the center, all was as I had hoped for, however.

white.elephant

I use an array of M mount lenses on my X-E1 including Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander and Konica Hexanon covering the range of 35mm - 90mm. All perform excellently but the out and out favourite is my Voigtlander Nokton Classic MC 35mm F1.4 which can be found at very reasonable $$. This lens does tend to barrel but the dial in correction facility deals with this perfectly.
How were the corners?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Tony, sorry to be so late chiming on on this thread.

I first need to say something about the cost of using Leica lenses. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE! Are they worth it? I'll leave that debate for another thread, another time, but for now I will leave you with the thought that not all of the Leica lenses cost a fortune. There are plenty of used lenses available on the market right now that are both stunning and are reasonable priced - for a Leica lens, that is. :)

I am particularly fond of the 35mm Summicron, the pre-aspherical versions. I've owned one of these lenses for more years than I care to count and am still stunned by it's performance. It is small, fast, sharp, has a glow wide open that is to die for, and it is hard to argue with a 35mm focal length for use in most every situation. Older versions of this lens can be bought for around $1,000. This lens on your X-Pro is going to give a focal length very close to what a 50mm lens would provide on a full frame 35mm camera.

A 50mm Leica 'Cron has a near 75mm focal length equivalent. Again, a very useful focal length. You can pickup a used 50mm 'Cron for relative peanuts. Even the old collapsable versions work like a champ on the X sensor bodied cameras.

For portrait work, the Leica 90mm focal length works a champ on the X cameras. Personally, the later ASPH versions of the 90mm do nothing for me shooting people, they are simply too dang sharp. I much prefer and use myself an older 90mm Elmarit with it's f/2.8 fastest setting. For a good portrait, your going to be shooting at f/2.8 or f/5.6 even as your fastest setting just to get sufficient depth of field. Why pay for speed in a lens that you don't need?

Of course, my personal favorite lens all around be it on Leica or on one of my X bodies is the Leica 28mm 'Cron. Fast, wide, small, and amazing resolution on Fuji and Leica. I believe one of the best lenses ever made in the 28mm focal length. These will cost you though. Even used, you will be hard pressed to find a beater for less than about $3k.

Which brings up the subject of why? Fuji's own lenses for the X series are pretty fantastic, and very reasonably priced. I am a big fan of the Fuji 14mm f/2.8, which gives an equivalent focal length of 21mm. LOVE this lens, but I love creating wide images. Priced at $900, it is FAR less expensive an alternative to the Leica 21mm Summilux I replaced with it! Fuji's 35mm f/1.4 is also a lens I own and love, and it was only a paltry $600 brand new.

Bottom line, don't judge based upon high cost. Judge with your eyes looking at the finished images....

anthonysemone

chuck,

sorry for the long delay in responding to your detailed response. I'm pleased to hear that the 14/2.8 is giving you such good results. I've been looking carefully at that one and I reckon that its price point, it'll be a really good alternative. I too enjoy shooting wide, so I think I'll rent this from LensRentals and see what I can do with it. The of course there is also the Touit 12/2.8 that has gotten some good looks from folks.

thanks again, tony

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Tony,
I haven't tried the Touit 12mm f/2.8 yet, but it is awful hard to do better than Zeiss glass. From what I have read online (just like the rest of us!) it looks to be an excellent lens. I already bought the 14mm Fuji and couldn't be more pleased, but if I were you why not rent them both from Roger at LensRentals.Com and do your own shootout? I've used a 21mm equivalent for so long that is the right ultra-wide focal length for me, but an 18mm equivalent mite be a better choice for you?

It is SO nice to have options! :D

anthonysemone

+1 on the options, Chuck. I've decided just to save up for the Fuji 18; at a 450$ price advantage compared to the Touit 12, with my eyes, I doubt I'd ever see the difference that amount of money might make. :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Tony,
I haven't tried the Touit 12mm f/2.8 yet, but it is awful hard to do better than Zeiss glass. From what I have read online (just like the rest of us!) it looks to be an excellent lens. I already bought the 14mm Fuji and couldn't be more pleased, but if I were you why not rent them both from Roger at LensRentals.Com and do your own shootout? I've used a 21mm equivalent for so long that is the right ultra-wide focal length for me, but an 18mm equivalent mite be a better choice for you?

It is SO nice to have options! :D
Originally I wanted to buy the Touit 12 but because of not so great reports I will now choose the Fuji 14. Also this is a much more useable WA for me with effective 21mm.