The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware 3.01 problem

TimWright

I spent the day out doing some street photography with my Xpro1 using the 18-55, 35 and 14mm lenses. On 3 occasions I had the camera completely lock up on me and had to pull the battery to reset it. All firmware is up to date. Never had a single issue before this update.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ouch. That does not sound good Tim. I haven't had any issues with my X-E1 since updating, so it may just be something simple with the quick 3.01 fix. Fingers crossed they get it tuned up and working right soon!

TimWright

Number of people are reporting the same thing. I also noted some strange behavior with autofocus which other people also found.

thedruid

Fuji released version 3.1 within 24 hours of problems reported with version 3.0 on X-Pro1, just download the new firmware. There should be no issues with the XE-1.

retow

Oh boy Fuji, they are on the path of becoming the Alfa Romeo of the camera industry. Constantly over promising and under delivering.

raist3d

Oh boy Fuji, they are on the path of becoming the Alfa Romeo of the camera industry. Constantly over promising and under delivering.
Wait, hold on. Fuji is on the path to become Alfa Romeo because ONE of their firmware upgrades doesn't quite work 100% bug free in ONE of their cameras?

Doesn't that strike as a bit of an extreme conclusion? The firwmare upgrade did deliver much improved AF.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately such behavior of a company could easily be the beginning of the end for people who trust in their products.

Kind of sitting First Row, Leg-free and watching ..... kind of amusing since thanks god I have other cameras to rely on currently ;)

retow

Wait, hold on. Fuji is on the path to become Alfa Romeo because ONE of their firmware upgrades doesn't quite work 100% bug free in ONE of their cameras?

Doesn't that strike as a bit of an extreme conclusion? The firwmare upgrade did deliver much improved AF.

- Ricardo
Shutter blade issues with the X100, no diopter correction of the XPRo`s VF, X10 white orbs issues, inaccurate and hunting X-Pro and X-E1 AF (improved now, but still not satisfactory), MF by wire no fun to use, MF distance scale inaccurate, watercolor smearing, recent FW upgrade. That is an Alfa alike pattern with early adopters as beta testers. A great looking product with nice design and haptics, and sometimes a pleasure to use, provided however, all stars line up perfectly. But in the end, great to look at, performance so so, and not all as rosy as it could be under the hood. The low used prices and difficulty of selling them in the marketplace resemble the formerly famous car make.

Ron (Netherlands)

Until now I never upgraded (don't use X lenses so probably don't need the fixes) Anyhow in order to be able to use the latest firmware, do you have to install all the previous upgrades first?

David Schneider

Unfortunately such behavior of a company could easily be the beginning of the end for people who trust in their products.

Kind of sitting First Row, Leg-free and watching ..... kind of amusing since thanks god I have other cameras to rely on currently ;)
My friend was a sub-contractor for repairs of Canon cameras. When the 20D came out there were huge problems. He was picking up van loads of cameras to repair everyday. Seems like Canon is still selling cameras to these same purchasers and more today.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems to me that a few folks here just don't like Fuji - whatever floats your boat ... :chug:

For the rest of us that don't think that the world has come to an end and Fuji are the evil empire, I'm just pleased that they made the significant upgrades to the firmware and seem to actively be continuing to do so. Ok, so they had a couple of teething problems but I'd rather that than firmware stagnation which is what I see pretty much everywhere else.

It seems that Fuji are damned if they do make upgrades and damned if they don't. The masses clamor for upgrades as soon as possible which Fuji seem to be responsive to. However, they've run into a couple of issues by releasing sooner rather than later. They do seem to be working hard to address them asap and I'm fully confident that there will be a fix very soon. That's a lot more than can be said for most of the other manufacturers in my experience.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It seems that Fuji are damned if they do make upgrades and damned if they don't. The masses clamor for upgrades as soon as possible which Fuji seem to be responsive to. However, they've run into a couple of issues by releasing sooner rather than later. They do seem to be working hard to address them asap and I'm fully confident that there will be a fix very soon. That's a lot more than can be said for most of the other manufacturers in my experience.
I would say, Fuji are damned if they make upgrades which turn out to be faulty again and again. Better would be to either take more time or to just do no longer upgrades for older cameras and lenses and rather improve HW. Not everything can be fixed in FW.

Seems ridiculous why they could not come up from the beginning of their glory new X system with AF performance and smoothness like Olympus m43 ??? That would have eroded lot of issues upfront.

Just a matter of getting their act together from the start.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Seems to me that a few folks here just don't like Fuji - whatever floats your boat ... :chug:

For the rest of us that don't think that the world has come to an end and Fuji are the evil empire, I'm just pleased that they made the significant upgrades to the firmware and seem to actively be continuing to do so. Ok, so they had a couple of teething problems but I'd rather that than firmware stagnation which is what I see pretty much everywhere else.

That is a whole lot more than some of the manufacturer's products IN MY BAG! :ROTFL:

retow

I actually like them, was an early adopter to the X100 and still have a XE-1 with 3 primes and the wider zoom (and a X-Pro 1 in the closet ready to sell). However, I criticize them for stopping short of making a really great camera with the X-Pro1. It is certainly a good camera, but with too many avoidable technical limitations. Slow AF, inaccurate AF, hunting AF, significant shutter lag. And in some situations one is wrestling with all 4 in the order described and long gone is the shot.