The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A couple of Fuji X-E1 questions

Paul2660

I recently purchased the X-E1 and have used it on a few shoots. It came with the 18-55 zoom lens and I have upgraded both the camera and lens to the latest firmware. There are a couple of issues I have noticed and just wanted to get others opinions.

1. On the LCD or EVF views, is there any way to have either of the displays show the image as it effected by shutter speed and aperture? You get the small exposure gauge on the left, which so far seems very accurate, however I would much rather have the LCD and EVF display the view as it will be exposed. I am coming over from the Sony Nex-7 and that is the standard way the Sony works as most other live view displays. Once the image is taken with the Fuji, you get a few second view that shows the correct exposure, but I would prefer to have this view before I take the shot.

2. On focus, the latest firmware has the focus peaking. However when you are viewing an image and increase the magnification to 100%, trees seem to take on a blurred look like you have used way way to much noise reduction. Basically you can't tell anything about focus. With the peaking you can get a OK idea, but I am surprised that the view is so soft. When I look at the files in either LR or Capture one, they are in focus, but I can't figure out why the view on the camera is so soft. Is that normal or do I have a setting wrong.

So far I have used both LR 4.4 and Capture One on the raws and both seem to do a OK job. Capture one seems to have a problem with pine needles and with LR 4.4 I seem to get a strange haloing on some tree limbs, like a combination of CA and over sharpening haloing. I have CA applied and have backed way down on the sharpening in LR. With Capture One, by using a local adjustment layer on just the areas of the fine with pine needles, I can still get a very good detailed image. The clarity of the files at 800 is very clean, much cleaner than shots taken with my Sony Nex-8 at 800.

Paul Caldwell

ReeRay

Paul

Using the compensation dial will achieve the view you are seeking. I set my X-E1 at centre weighted or spot and adjust exposure using the compensation dial and keeping an eye on the histogram. Works fine.

Have not upgraded to the new firmware so can't hep here.

Ray

monza

2. On focus, the latest firmware has the focus peaking. However when you are viewing an image and increase the magnification to 100%, trees seem to take on a blurred look like you have used way way to much noise reduction. Basically you can't tell anything about focus. With the peaking you can get a OK idea, but I am surprised that the view is so soft. When I look at the files in either LR or Capture one, they are in focus, but I can't figure out why the view on the camera is so soft. Is that normal or do I have a setting wrong.
This is due to the magnification combined with resultant camera shake and the refresh rate of the EVF.

Paul2660

Ray and Monza,

Many thanks for the info.

I was used to the live feedback from Sony, Nikon, Canon. Fuji feedback is a bit different, and I would prefer the liveview exposure feedback not the histogram exposure bar to the left, but it's what it is.

On the view at 100%, being due to refresh and EVF, I am curious if the higher res screen on the X-pro shows a bit more detail? To be honest the focus peaking is pretty critical especially with a wide like the 18mm.

Still overall very impressed with the Fuji, the 18-55 is a very good lens and seems a great fit for the resolution of the sensor.

Paul Caldwell

Ray and Monza,

Many thanks for the info.

I was used to the live feedback from Sony, Nikon, Canon. Fuji feedback is a bit different, and I would prefer the liveview exposure feedback not the histogram exposure bar to the left, but it's what it is.

On the view at 100%, being due to refresh and EVF, I am curious if the higher res screen on the X-pro shows a bit more detail? To be honest the focus peaking is pretty critical especially with a wide like the 18mm.

Still overall very impressed with the Fuji, the 18-55 is a very good lens and seems a great fit for the resolution of the sensor.

Paul Caldwell

The EVF or LCD will display the view as it will be captured, if you partially depress the shutter button.

The EVF screen resolution on the X-Pro is lower than on the X-E1, if I'm not mistaken (that's one of the reasons I sold my X-Pro and went to the X-E1). The X-Pro does have a higher res rear LCD, though.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Since I wrote the post, I have really come to like the X-E1. I still would prefer real time updates to exposure like Sony does on the LCD, just personal preference. but I have learned that if you record both Jpg and raw then on playback you get a much larger image preview. About 3x larger, much easier to see the small details.

I have become more used to using the EVF for details checking focus etc.which is excellent and just use the LCD for framing. With the focus peaking that came with the latest firmware, the manual focus is so much easier. I find that I really wish NIkon or Canon would do this, of course with Magic Lantern on the Canon 6D you can get close. Nikon IMO it would really help as the camera is pulling is quite a bit of resolution.

I have pretty much quit carrying the Nex-7 and will sell it, but keep my glass waiting to see what Sony comes out with full frame.

Paul Caldwell

The Ute

This is probably a dumb question but I was wondering if anyone has printed
20x30 or larger using the X-e1 ?

How was the quality at that size ?

Thanks in advance.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
This is probably a dumb question but I was wondering if anyone has printed
20x30 or larger using the X-e1 ?

How was the quality at that size ?

Thanks in advance.
I've made a few b&w 16 x 20's and they are perfect. I have a few 20 x 30's out at the printer but won't have them for a week. At this point, I'm sure they will be real nice.

The Ute

I've made a few b&w 16 x 20's and they are perfect. I have a few 20 x 30's out at the printer but won't have them for a week. At this point, I'm sure they will be real nice.

Thank you. I'd appreciate hearing from you again when you actually get to see
those 20x30's.