The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 12mm Touit for Fuji

Paul2660

Has anyone used this lens on a X-Pro1 or X-E1? I have found a few reviews, but all were sponsored reviews and results were as I expected i.e. greatest lens ever.

Also would appreciate any feedback on Fuji's 14mm.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell

archiM44

I have both, used on XPRO-1.
Was planning to sell the 14, but haven't since the fields of view are quite different.
Results from both are excellent and I couldn't make a choice based on image quality.
The Fuji is smaller and the manual focus with depth of field scale is quite useful.
Provide me with an email address (mine is [email protected]) and I will be happy to send you some RAF files from both via "we transfer"
regards, maurice

Paul2660

Thanks to both of you for the info. I am leaning towards the 14mm mainly due to price. But I may rent both to try out from lens rentals.

Paul Caldwell

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Paul, that sounds like the best solution by far! Why not just try both, and find out which works for you. Both are going to be great lenses, from what I am hearing from others that have used the Zeiss. You would not be going wrong with either choice. I shot a 21mm on my M's for so many years that the 14mm Fuji was a natural choice for me, but I will admit there are times I do wish for an even wider lens.

Paul,

I did a review over at the Fuji forums (and I don't think I raved that the Touits were the greatest thing ever) - you can check it out here:

12mm and 32mm Zeiss Touit: A Photo Review - Staff Product Reviews - Fuji X Forum

What I did see in respect to the 12mm is that the performance was very similar to the Fuji. But in the final analysis, I like the manual controls of the 14mm much better and don't really see a reason to go with the Zeiss unless you need or want those extra two degrees. If you do, then the Zeiss is great.

Chad

photocrasher

Has anyone compared the 12mm Zeiss to the Cosina Voigtlander M 12mm?
I haven't compared it to the 12, but I do own the CV 15mm. I feel like the Zeiss has better contrast, and love the AF on my X-Pro 1. If I didn't already own the 15 I'd probably pull the trigger on the Zeiss, but it's a harder sell with the 15 sitting in my bag. Both a great choices.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am posting here as a placeholder; I should get my X-E1 this week, and I want to try the CV 12/5.6 on it (and use the in-camera vignetting, colour cast, and pincushion controls (although having used this lens on the M-module where it performed very will, I doubt any distortion correction will needed).

And I will read your review of the 14, Chuck; this time around, I am going 12/14, 27/2.8, and 56/1.2 as my three-lens kit. I have macro and tilt covered with Oly lenses and the new Hawk's helicoid adapter for a really close view.

DavidL

12mm is too wide for me, actually 14 is but it's such a great lens I went and got one. I'm from a wildlife background and used to just carry a fixed 24 and or 35 along with all that big heavy stuff. So my lens of choice would be a 16mm (24) but there ain't one yet. Maybe the 16-55 f2.8 will replace my 14 and 18-55 but I digress. From what I hear you'd be happy with either.
David

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Kit, you won't be sorry with the 14mm, it is a great lens choice for a quality optic. Also, do NOT discount that new 23mm f/1.4. It is a real stunner! We will have a first look review up on it shortly, soon as I can get the prose written ;=) The bottom line though is it is a great lens… possibly even sharper than any of the others. It will cut your eyeballs for sure with the excellent micro contrast.

Back on topic, I took a real hard look at the Zeiss Truits in the store. Even shot several test frames with each to examine in more detail at home. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed at what I saw. Maybe it is my type of work, but I don't see any advantage to the 12mm Truit over the 14mm f/2.8 Fuji. In fact, I prefer the drawing signature of the Fuji. Fuji is clearly on a tear with the X mount lenses. There isn't what I would call a "dog" in the lot, and all of them are reasonably priced for a value laden optic. I also find it impressive that even the now discontinued X-E1 continues to enjoy firmware update support. Hence, adding extended value to that body and the whole Fuji lineup.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Chuck, thanks for that heads-up re. your review. I have shot quite a few frames with the new (actually, this is my second X-E1) and I am loving it. This is a completely different camera to my first X-E1, frankly. Not to hijack the thread, but the firmware updates (the key ones being adding peaking and improving AF) completely change the experience of using this camera. And its ergonomics and UI are just excellent. I have not shot a single frame with the GX7 bodies since this arrived...

I can report that using the CV12/5.6 on the X-E1 (and the excellent Fuji M-mount adapter) is a painless experience. MF is a breeze and zone focus is likewise a snap with this lens. I have not added any in-camera adjustments (vignetting, colour cast, and pincushion controls), but I may when I make the time. These controls only affect the jpgs in any case, of course (but the jpegs are so convenient to use and are lovely).

I will get the Fuji 14 in time, but for now, using the X-E1 with the 27/2.8 pancake with the CV12/5.6 and an old Rokkor 50/1.4 is working very nicely. How good are the MF aids on this camera!!!

Dale Allyn

I know your post was directed at Kit, Chuck, but I find it helpful as well. I'm considering the 14mm, as it's been part of the draw for me to build a new Fuji kit.

I prefer primes for landscape work (and many other things), but I'll also be curious how the new 10-24mm performs. I'm thinking that if it's stellar, it will make a fine wide for mountain hikes, providing a bit more control for composing in the viewfinder (as I always prefer), and avoiding cropping in post.

As you say, I feel Fuji are really doing a nice job on most fronts. I'm a bit "anxious" that they're not showing a reasonably fast prime in the 75-90mm range. This has me looking at the Voigtland 75mm f/1.8, but I'd rather have a native Fuji.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Dale, I will be very interested in that lens as well; I had two copies of Nikon's excellent 14–24 over the years I was into that FF system, and I am sure that Fuji's offering will be close to it, if not better, based on the other lenses' performances.

Stephen (cameraquest) writes (about the 75/1.8):
SUPER SHARP is not what most people find pleasing in portraits, especially if those most people are female. Granted, opinions will vary, but that is mine.
Assuming he is talking wide open, or near it, I wonder how it perfoms stopped down? (I wonder, because this is how you will use it for landscapes, or is another purpose what you have in mind?

The 75/2.5 has a lovely form factor, is smaller and lighter, and IIRC is sharp wide open. Great to have the choice.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Dale, I will be very interested in that lens as well; I had two copies of Nikon's excellent 14–24 over the years I was into that FF system, and I am sure that Fuji's offering will be close to it, if not better, based on the other lenses' performances.

Stephen (cameraquest) writes (about the 75/1.8):

Assuming he is talking wide open, or near it, I wonder how it per foams stopped down? (I wonder, because this is how you will use it for landscapes, or is another purpose what you have in mind?

The 75/2.5 has a lovely form factor, is smaller and lighter, and IIRC is sharp wide open. Great to have the choice.
Kit, I had the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L II, and the EF-S 10-24mm (for the APS-C sensor) and liked them both.

I have read that the 75mm f/1.8 is gently "soft" or less contrasty wide open and at close distance (purposefully, supposedly), and really pops when stopped down a bit and distance increases. I don't know about all of this, as I've not tested it, but I do find it interesting.

I've enjoyed walking around Bangkok at times with 85mm f/1.2 L or 135mm f/2.0 L and shooting people as well as general "street life scenes", fruit, street food, whatever. Of course the 24-70mm f/2.8 L always served me quite well, too. This Fuji kit is discrete, where those bits were not. I'm looking forward to taking my X-E2 to BKK next month and see what I get into.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Dale, I very much look forward to seeing your BKK images. Please let us all know about that 75, if you do get the faster one.

Dale Allyn

Thanks, Kit. I'm thinking very seriously about trying the 75mm f/1.8. I've promised myself to build the kit slowly (because I'm one to prefer larger sensors, so I want to be sure I'm committed to this format), but I'm definitely getting the itch to have something a bit longer than my current two-lens kit. I don't think it would be difficult to sell the 75 if it didn't work for my needs, since there are so many Fujis and now the Sony A7/r market – at least until Fuji answer my call for the native fast prime. ;)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Both lenses have been favourably commented on over at the Leica User's Forum, if you follow THIS thread. I could not look at the images (my membership there has lapsed). And apparently Sean Reid reviewed both over at his paid site (my subscription ran out there two weeks ago!). If you do get the ƒ1.8 version, I will be very interested in your reactions. My preference for the smaller ƒ2.5 is weight and handling. Good luck!