The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF speed Fuji X100(s) vs. Ricoh GR

Hi

does anybody has both cameras and can share his experience with AF speed and reliabilty and good and bad light of both cameras?

I use currently the X100 and want to decide whether I add a Ricoh GR or upgrade my X100 to the Fuji X100s.

Thanks

Millsart

X100s is faster, X100 is on par with the GR, although I found my GR to not always be that accurate on lower contrast subjects and in lower light levels.

The MF and snap focus features are great, and many love them, but I tend to prefer reliable AF which is one of the main reasons I ended up returning my GR.

eekimel

I rented both an X100 and X100S for an A-B comparison before opting to buy a used X100. Focus definitely faster on the X100S -- write speed for raw files also significantly faster.

X100s is generally faster although in good light they are pretty close. The GR takes a bigger speed hit when the lights go down.

I've owned both (currently have the GR) and in my opinion the GR excels in situations where you want to take a photo quickly as opposed to focusing quickly.

I'm referring here to the auto snap function where AF functions normally with a half press but a full button mash will give you near instant capture at a user preset distance. This is a brilliant implementation but it heavily favors street type shooting - or really, any moments where you just want that instant snapshot. Now that I have access to this feature I find myself using it often.