The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ttl flash, ergonomics, xe1

dmeckert

Hi all.

Currently hefting a Nikon d800 around, but I'm looking to switch it up a bit. It's amazing, but for one of my jobs, it's just too heavy.

The job is easy as pie, but tends to be for multiple hours using the camera constantly. And despite youth being on my side, I'm prone to tendon injury.

My main questions are as follows:

1) how easy on the hands is the ex1?

-I know it weighs a ton less, but if the hand position is cramped it won't be much of an improvement. I realize it's an individual thing, but I'm looking for a general impression.

2) how consistent is ttl flash exposure in changing outdoor conditions?

-My d800+sb900 misses less than half a dozen shots a day out of 500-800 pics, and it's close enough that jpegs are recoverable without worry.

thanks for the help,

David :)

David Schneider

I have Canon 5Dmk2 and Hassie H3D2-39. I bought the XE1 for four week trip to Europe. I LOVE the camera. Almost never ever use the raw files since the jpgs are so darn good.

Controls are obviously a bit more cramped since it's such a smaller camera, but not a problem for me.

I generally use manual flash outdoors so can't say how ttl flash is, although when I've used the pop-up flash instead of an on-camera flash I've been pleasantly surprised. Bought a tiny manual Sunpack flash to keep in my pocket when I don't want something larger.

XE1 stinks at focusing on moving subjects. There are things you can do to help it for sure, and I've done them and been happier, but it's no sports/action camera. I have to say, for more static subjects the focus is a tiny bit slower, but more dependable than my 5dmk2. When it locks, it locks.

If I was starting my studio today I'd just get the XE1 and the Fuji lenses. In all my studio test the files from the Fuji XE1 and lenses meet or exceeded the Canon and L lenses. The 1980's Nikon Series E 100mm lens, obviously manual focus, cost about $60 on eBay and is equal to the Canon 70-200 f2.8L II at 150mm and better than my Canon 25-105 at 105mm.

I use the XE1 as a back-up system to my Canon gear. The XE1 and three lenses, charger, batteries, little Sunpack flash all fit in a lunchbox type camera bag. My Canon gear needs a rolling bag and weighs many times more.

David Schneider

dmeckert

interesting. that's quite an endorsement for the xe1's image quality.

i don't require lightning fast AF most of the time as long as it locks on without noticeable delay. this gig involves static subjects, and most of my personal stuff involves fashion/beauty/editorial/portraiture.