The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

x-Pro1 wide angle for shift adapter

Tony

Hi,
I have a Kipon shift adapter and I am looking for a wide angle lens with a nikon mount and aperture ring. I really want something with a 35mm equivalence in the range of 18-24mm. I would be using this lens to photograph architecture and landscapes. I have tried the 24mm Nikon AFD and I was pleased with the results and I know the 20mm version will work but the focal length is a bit long. I am considering the nikon 14mm prime, the samyang 14mm, Tamron 17mm RMC, and the Zeiss 18mm (which will be a bit long but could be a good compromise).

Does anyone have experience with a super wide on a shift adapter? Are there any lenses I might be overlooking? Thanks for your help.

Tony

cmcmillan

I have used some of my older wide angle Nikons on Micro 4/3 bodies with a shift adapter. I can offer some other lens choices based on my experiences that may also apply to you despite being on the Fuji X System.

I've tried the Nikon 24 & 20mm lenses. As you have found, they're good, but too long. I do have a Nikon 15mm MF Rectilinear lens. But it's really heavy and kind of tricky to use on a shift adapter. I've found that my Sigma 14mm was also too large and heavy.

My go to lens has been the Nikon 18mm. Which I think is also Rectilinear in the older MF designs. There is a modern AF-D f2.8 model too. All the older ones are f3.5/f4.0. All versions have an aperture ring.

I've been very happy with my copy, despite being a 'user' copy, it's optical performance has been great for me. I think I've had it about 7 or 8 years or more now. Hadn't really used it on DX Nikon, preferred to use my 15mm. Used it a bit on FX Nikon, and the last two years or so on Micro 4/3 with shift and also tilt adapters.

Info on the 18mm Nikon:
Nikkor 18mm f/3.5s Super wideangle Lens

I am not sure what the current online or KEH prices for them are. You'd probably be able to get the older MF versions a lot cheaper than the AF-D versions.

Chris

Tony

I have used some of my older wide angle Nikons on Micro 4/3 bodies with a shift adapter. I can offer some other lens choices based on my experiences that may also apply to you despite being on the Fuji X System.

I've tried the Nikon 24 & 20mm lenses. As you have found, they're good, but too long. I do have a Nikon 15mm MF Rectilinear lens. But it's really heavy and kind of tricky to use on a shift adapter. I've found that my Sigma 14mm was also too large and heavy.

My go to lens has been the Nikon 18mm. Which I think is also Rectilinear in the older MF designs. There is a modern AF-D f2.8 model too. All the older ones are f3.5/f4.0. All versions have an aperture ring.

I've been very happy with my copy, despite being a 'user' copy, it's optical performance has been great for me. I think I've had it about 7 or 8 years or more now. Hadn't really used it on DX Nikon, preferred to use my 15mm. Used it a bit on FX Nikon, and the last two years or so on Micro 4/3 with shift and also tilt adapters.

Info on the 18mm Nikon:
Nikkor 18mm f/3.5s Super wideangle Lens

I am not sure what the current online or KEH prices for them are. You'd probably be able to get the older MF versions a lot cheaper than the AF-D versions.

Chris
Thank you Chris for the reply, I am going to research that 18mm and possibly give it a try. I just ordered a Samyang 14mm to test. Thanks again.

rdelbar

Hi,
I have a Kipon shift adapter and I am looking for a wide angle lens with a nikon mount and aperture ring. I really want something with a 35mm equivalence in the range of 18-24mm.
Does anyone have experience with a super wide on a shift adapter?
I have a Kipon shift as well as a tilt/shift adapter (and then 7 more) for Nikon F-mount lenses. I use them with three wide-angle lenses.

My favorite is the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 RMC. The widest in my collection, but with some noticeable blurring towards the edges of the FF image circle. Step it down to f/8-f/11 and it is very useable.

Next is a Nikon AF-D 20mm f/2.8. Probably the sharpest of the trio, with a well-delimited image circle, but with some hard to correct distortion (critical for some architecture work).

Last but not least: a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8. Quite good, but generally not wide enough to my taste.

All three lenses by the way work well with my Metabones Speed Booster too.

I have reported my findings with the Kipon and other adapters across various forums dedicated to Fuji X cameras. This information will be added shortly to my new fujixtras.blogspot.com blog. Details of my Speed Booster testing are already up there.

I hope you enjoy this versatile adapter!

Tony

I have a Kipon shift as well as a tilt/shift adapter (and then 7 more) for Nikon F-mount lenses. I use them with three wide-angle lenses.

My favorite is the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 RMC. The widest in my collection, but with some noticeable blurring towards the edges of the FF image circle. Step it down to f/8-f/11 and it is very useable.

Next is a Nikon AF-D 20mm f/2.8. Probably the sharpest of the trio, with a well-delimited image circle, but with some hard to correct distortion (critical for some architecture work).

Last but not least: a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8. Quite good, but generally not wide enough to my taste.

All three lenses by the way work well with my Metabones Speed Booster too.

I have reported my findings with the Kipon and other adapters across various forums dedicated to Fuji X cameras. This information will be added shortly to my new fujixtras.blogspot.com blog. Details of my Speed Booster testing are already up there.

I hope you enjoy this versatile adapter!

Thank you for your reply. I actually read your post over at the x forum while researching the subject.

Cheers.