The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's up with Fuji resale values - esp the X-E1

soboyle

Considering moving from the X-E1 to the X-E2 for the advantages of the new body. But after looking at resale values of the X-E1 I'm reconsidering it. The X-E1 is selling for about $400-450 used on sites like fredmiranda. That is a huge drop in value in the one year this camera has been out. It represents a great bargain if one is looking to buy, but if selling, not so good. Perhaps its the huge number of new X-E1 bodies sold by Fuji. The original X-100 is holding value very well, still selling for $600-800, but the X-E1 has fallen through the floor.

Dale Allyn

Well, body-only can be purchased new from B&H (incl. SD card), Pictureline, etc. for $599, so used isn't going bring much more than you indicate. It does represent a great value, but the updates provided in the X-E2 are significant to many (I bought the X-E2 because of certain improvements I was waiting for and felt were lacking in the X-E1).

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I bought my pristine X-E1 for $350..., after doing due diligence comparing its performance to the X-E2's (after the recent firmware updates for the X-Pro1 and the X-E1).

Lenses are forever; camera bodies are the disposables/consumables these days. X-Pro 1 bodies are going for ~$650-700. I checked the EVF specs between the two X-E models, too; looked the same to me.

I put food on the table for 10+ years with two Nikon Photomic head bodies and three lenses. That was then; this is now.

Shaun: love your work. Cheers, KL

photocrasher

I've been in the industry since 2000, and one thing that I've consistently noticed as digital has become the norm is that resale values on cameras seem to get lower and lower.

I would say this is partly because as life cycles come to a close on a model, the manufacturer usually drops the price to move inventory. Combine this with the fact that newer models usually have better technology, and there are literally more cameras in the marketplace than people to use them, and it is no wonder that you're seeing what you are.

All that being said, my personal opinion when buying a body is that I use it and will be happy with whatever I can get for it at the end of my time with it. The glass is your real investment, and in all reality will hold value much better than any body ever will.

soboyle

Yes, agree with what Kit and photocrasher said. Picked up the 23 1.4, and what a lens that is. But in the case of the X-E1, Fuji helped the rapid value drop by slashing prices on the X-E1 kit, much more than they needed to imho. The X-E1 is still a great camera, I'm holding onto mine until I see where Fuji is heading with their future camera bodies. They seem to be tinkering with cmos sensors in some of the bodies. Will be interesting to see what the X-Pro2 looks like.