The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wet sensor cleaning on X-E2

Paul2660

Has anyone done any research on what would be needed to wet clean the X-E2. In the past on my X-E1 I was using the Visible Dust Orange 1.5 swabs and just the standard sensor clean. Since the X-E2 has the phase detect on the sensor, I was curious if others felt that this might be an issue for wet cleaning.

The Fuji X-E1 did OK with dust till this fall when I was using it more and started to change out lenses a bit. The Visible dust sensor clean and orange swabs worked fine on it.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Figured I would post my results. I went ahead and used the orange swabs from Visible dust and their solution that is recommend for that type of swab. No problems.

Only had a few spots after about 4 months or so.

I did notice over on the Fuji x forums a lot of mention about people getting X-E2's with dust under the outer sensor cover. Most are sending these back to Fuji.

Paul Caldwell

Charles2

Most (all?) sensors have a layer of glass over them. Whether part of the sensor semiconductor has phase detect circuitry should be irrelevant to cleaning.

Paul2660

I agree most if not all sensors have a cover glass however since most camera companies besides Phase one/Leaf don't even mention wet cleaning in their manuals I have found it prudent to follow the advice of the company making the cleaning materials.

There have been several users of the Sony A7r that have scratched the cover glass or sensor when wet cleaning. Not sure if Sony has a cover glass over the A7r sensor or not.

Paul

photocrasher

I have cleaned several Fuji cameras (and models) using wet cleaning methods and not experienced any problems. I use Eclipse cleaning solution and the type 2 swabs from Photographic Solutions.

You'll want to have enough of the solution so that the tip of the swab is moist, but not so much that it is dripping off. Sometimes flicking the swab against a desk corner will help to get any excess fluid off.

Hope this helps.