The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

fordfanjpn

Bill, still two excellent cameras, and extremely capable. And in my experience, if you are planning on working with them, two identical bodies is preferable. I like the new body too but the button and dials are very different to the X-E2's, and in the 'heat of battle' so to speak, this can make a huge difference as to whether you get the shot.
Excellent advice. Thanks a lot. I think you have convinced me to stay with the X-E2's for the time being. I do quite like them (obviously since I bought 2 of them) and I'm not sure the layout of the new camera would suit me. So I'm going to just enjoy shooting with the X-E2's for now and see what happens when the X-T1 gets in peoples' hands. If it's not a game-changer, then I'll be a happy camper. And if it is, well ...

Bill

Sharokin

Will this camera have an available smart remote that will allow you to do multi-hour exposure?
I'm recommending the X-T1 to a friend of mine who shoots long exposures.

Dale Allyn

Will this camera have an available smart remote that will allow you to do multi-hour exposure?
I'm recommending the X-T1 to a friend of mine who shoots long exposures.
I think it's still a bit early to be certain of very specific features. We should know a lot more on the 28th.

Have you seen Triggertrap? I have no affiliation with the company, and I have not used it, but I was chatting about it with a friend recently and it came to mind when I read your post.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
One feature that might sway me to this body is that outsized viewfinder. I grew up on Nikon F bodies (with the Photomic heads) and the OM 1 and 2 bodies, and no modern cameras have managed to reproduce that spaciousness in the viewing and composting experience, for me. Once the basic ergonomics are sorted, and you have the lenses you need, the number one and most important aspect of the 'making images' experience is had through the view through the finder—no? If this finder yields a significantly better viewing/composing experience, that could be a compelling argument, I feel.

Sharokin

I think it's still a bit early to be certain of very specific features. We should know a lot more on the 28th.

Have you seen Triggertrap? I have no affiliation with the company, and I have not used it, but I was chatting about it with a friend recently and it came to mind when I read your post.
Sweet! Looks like this could work. Thanks!

raist3d

Another thing that will be difficult is not to compare it with the Df. Here is a camera that is designed with "retro" controls from the start, is smaller and lighter, half the price, has current lenses with an aperture ring, features split screen for manual focusing (although electronic), can emulate a 35mm camera with legacy lenses and a Speed Booster.

It won't have an optical viewfinder and obviously not the Nikon sensor, but, but, but...
That's an easy comparison- the DF is much more expensive and got the retro wrong. When you have someone like Chase Jarvis complaining about it...

Now vs the E-M1 is a better question. I would pick this up over an E-M1 any day. The controls just look that much better and so does the EVF (but will have to see).

But that said, as much as I would love to play with one, this isn't the kind of camera I want for most of my current work.

- Ricardo

fordfanjpn

I changed my mind! (Big surprise there.) I'm thinking about reserving one. It supposedly will be available here in Japan on Feb. 15. :eek:

Bill

kweide

A very tempting system.... the large viewfinder, with its rotating infos, the fast AF, the matching battery grip, the killer lens 56 f1.2 and the APS-C sensor beside the beautiful color rendition of Fuji and the great skin tones... is it that what i am after for my portraits ??? Have to check ...

JJB

Exciting-looking camera...love the look of these manual controls, EVF, weather-sealing, tilt LCD, sturdy metal build, absence of AA filter, and promise of fast auto-focus!

Now as far as its use for occasional street photography, does anyone know if the shutter can be set to silent mode?

Paul2660

Good Catch on the Contax RTS, I had totally forgotten that one.

Good looking camera indeed, would have liked a bit more resolution, but it's going to stay at 16 for a while.

Love the new EVF features, especially the vertical info rotate.

Tiltable screen really nice also.

New top end iso of 51K, which makes me wonder if the lower sensitivities will be better, 1600 to 3200. Still seems to have a base iso of 200 for raw, would love to see 100 there.

Noticed a built in interval timer, but I am sure like all the other cameras that have one, you will be limited to 30" exposures.

Looks like the microphone port has all the camera remote programing that the X-E2 had so you should be able to use an external intervalometer there.

Good looking camera.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Question is why did they do way with the threaded cable release? I use that extensively with my other X cameras and is a reassuring feature in the field.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In a way, the "retro" aspect of these new cameras are rather overblown. Until the early 200s, there were several cameras that were designed like this. The Contax N1 was launched as late as 2001, with the digital version shortly after.

DavidL

I was wondering where I'd seen this "squarish" design before. Now I know :)

I shot on Contax, back in the day. Although I had the RTS 11 my favourite body was the 137MA which had a lovely grip which gave it better handling.
The other main selling point was those Zeiss T* lenses:thumbs:

David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I quite like the design and shape of the new XT1. Also the EVF seems to be a good improvement towards coming closer to an original EVF.

What I am a bit disappointed is the still 16MP. I know and I hear all the arguments for this. But hey, in the smaller m43 EM1 we can get 16MP at great quality, so something like 20 or 24MP would just have been possible for sure in the XTRANS sensor. I think Fuji strategy is to see this one for the XPro2.

Last edited:

soboyle

Any word on delivery date in the US?
It's a near dead ringer for the Contax RTS, one of my all time favorite camera bodies.