The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

cmcmillan

This is pretty exciting. Also neat that most of the rumored specs were dead on.

I was debating a few upgrades for my personal shooting of my Panasonic Micro 4/3 gear this year. I was debating a GH3 or a GX7. And even a GM1 kit as an every day carry camera.

I still use my Nikon gear for most of my "serious" paid work. Especially when I need 8fps or the low light abilities. And since I already have all of that fast and long reach glass already. Anything that is web/online only, I'm happy to take out my Panasonics and shoot with them.

I may hold off on that, and keep my IR Panasonic bodies, lenses and GH2 for video work and get one of these for walk around stuff. Or convert my other Panasonic bodies to different IR spectrums!

I had been debating an X100/X100s anyways as a daily carry. This will certainly be smaller, and more versatile with adapting legacy glass or using any of the other excellent Fuji lenses.

I am kind of scared to see what the Canadian retail will be. If it's $1,300/1,700 US Body only/18-55 Kit, then it may be $1,599+/1,999+CDN here for the same combo. I would also hope that they'd offer kits with some of the primes too. I think the 18mm is the one I want the most to start with.

Chris

greypilgrim

For me, three pluses over the XE-2 and one negative and one still missing:

Better view finder
Tilt screen
Weather sealing

Missing IBIS (I know, I know, but one can wish as I shoot old manual lenses a lot)

Negative is the silly lock on the ISO dial. Sigh. Retro for no reason. Frankly, the one retro control I could do without is the ISO dial. But to make it locking and not easily changeable with the camera to your eye is just plain silly. ISO needs to be just as easily settable as aperture and shutter speed.

Definitely and interesting camera... Personally, I'd have to choose to switch form m4/3. Same sensor as the XE-2 which I played with for a week is a big plus. The tilt screen is a huge add IMO. The view finder on the XE-2 was sweet, so this one must be crazy good :).

Doug

Dale Allyn

For me, the X-E2 does what I purchased it for, but once my lens kit is established I can see an X-T1 in my future as a second body… perhaps. I'm not really hungry for a compact DSLR form factor [1], but I do like the feature set of the new body. The viewfinder and weather sealing are very attractive – among other things – plus I love the locking dials.

[1] I've never really like the ergonomics or balance of compact DSLRs, and generally prefer larger bodies (like 5DIII or Series 1) for the the lenses I use, but with a set of compact lenses it is quite attractive.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
For me, three pluses over the XE-2 and one negative and one still missing:

Better view finder
Tilt screen
Weather sealing

Missing IBIS (I know, I know, but one can wish as I shoot old manual lenses a lot)

Negative is the silly lock on the ISO dial. Sigh. Retro for no reason. Frankly, the one retro control I could do without is the ISO dial. But to make it locking and not easily changeable with the camera to your eye is just plain silly. ISO needs to be just as easily settable as aperture and shutter speed.

Definitely and interesting camera... Personally, I'd have to choose to switch form m4/3. Same sensor as the XE-2 which I played with for a week is a big plus. The tilt screen is a huge add IMO. The view finder on the XE-2 was sweet, so this one must be crazy good :).

Doug
Anything over the X-E2 is saying something guys, given it is already such a fantastic body. But I do agree, the edge for purchase decision to me are considering that huge wonderful sounding viewfinder, tilt screen is nice, so is weather sealing, and the higher frame rate. The ISO dial doesn't bother me, that I will set to auto most of the time and forget it. IBIS would be nice, but remember there are stabilized lenses, and GOOD ones, coming from Fuji in a couple of months that will fill that bill for me. For the rest, that is why Adobe makes warp stabilizer….

This body I am very much looking forward to seeing in my hands. If the video improvements and the continuous focus tracking works well this could become a primary Photojournalist tool in a lot smaller, lighter kit.

RonSmith

Unless it takes both hands and an assistant to change ISO, it should be faster and easier to change by grasping the dial between thumb and middle finger while pressing the lock button with the tip of the index finger. Should also be easier to do without even taking your eye from the finder. I have my X-E1 set up to use the top FN button for ISO, which then brings up the menu and requires using the up/down buttons to change.

etrigan63

The X-T1 is next for me to review and may end up being a keeper. The optically stabilized lenses rock - the 18-55mm was stellar and the 18-135mm may be the perfect travel lens. I just wish they would release it with the camera. Control locks just take a little getting used to. I automatically lock/unlock the controls on my E-M1 (on sale now) without thinking about it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I quite like the design and shape of the new XT1. Also the EVF seems to be a good improvement towards coming closer to an original EVF.

What I am a bit disappointed is the still 16MP. I know and I hear all the arguments for this. But hey, in the smaller m43 EM1 we can get 16MP at great quality, so something like 20 or 24MP would just have been possible for sure in the XTRANS sensor. I think Fuji strategy is to see this one for the XPro2.
Peter, sometimes I get the feeling that Fujifilm create what they do from a love of photography more than a love of customers. If that is true, it's indeed a unique concept coming from a $23 billion corporation. I started digital photography with the S3 and S5, and they are indeed quirky, little beasts that could never decide if they were 6 or 12 MP. If you ask the people at Fuji, I'm sure they'll tell you that the difference between 16 and 20, or even 24, megapixels, is very small when converted to print size. Making these sensors only for their own cameras, they also have to rationalise, only launching a new sensor when there's real progress. The S3/5 sensor lived for many years.

We're talking about a camera manufacturer that is still thriving with film, cameras as well as the stuff you put in them, that recently launched a new instant film camera and sells it by the millions and that is known to move towards the current in most ways. The files from the Fuji cameras are among the best, most beautiful and most workable files from any camera, the Nikon D4/Df included. They have many good reasons to move slowly, the love of photography probably being the most important.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jorgen,

I believe that you are right about Fuji. Here is a company that hasn't gone the way of Kodak, still produces film, still produces film cameras, produces digital cameras that seem to be designed by photographers and are not afraid or arrogant enough to not update their camera capabilities with firmware releases. I like Fuji - they listen and if there's a problem they will fix or improve the platform on an on-going basis. Heck, even the lenses are top notch and second to nobody.

Interestingly when I think about it, I have more Fuji cameras than any other manufacturer:

Fuji G617
Hasselblad XPan II (Fuji TX2)
X-E1
X-E2
2x X-Pro1
(previously also X100 & X100s)

and I fully intend to pick up the X-T1 when they have some bundles available (or thin my X herd). I really think that Fuji 'get it' and are doing things right.

Am I concerned about 16mp? Not in the slightest. I would wager that most people have way more megapixels than they know what to do with, other than to pixel peep. (Me too!)

Last edited:

Paul2660

Fuji felt a Threaded cable release was not possible and still have the weather sealing features. Still has the remote programming through the microphone port. But if used then weather sealing will be compromised. Fuji also has a intervalometer programed into the camera. And they now have a new WIFI app that gives camera control for iOS and Android. Same app may work on the X-E2 with a firmware update.

Paul

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, sometimes I get the feeling that Fujifilm create what they do from a love of photography more than a love of customers. If that is true, it's indeed a unique concept coming from a $23 billion corporation. I started digital photography with the S3 and S5, and they are indeed quirky, little beasts that could never decide if they were 6 or 12 MP. If you ask the people at Fuji, I'm sure they'll tell you that the difference between 16 and 20, or even 24, megapixels, is very small when converted to print size. Making these sensors only for their own cameras, they also have to rationalise, only launching a new sensor when there's real progress. The S3/5 sensor lived for many years.

We're talking about a camera manufacturer that is still thriving with film, cameras as well as the stuff you put in them, that recently launched a new instant film camera and sells it by the millions and that is known to move towards the current in most ways. The files from the Fuji cameras are among the best, most beautiful and most workable files from any camera, the Nikon D4/Df included. They have many good reasons to move slowly, the love of photography probably being the most important.
Jorgen,

I hear you and I also understand Fuji. It is just that if a digital camera with APSC sensor would give us 24MP at the same IQ as the current XTRANS sensor does, that would not only be perfect for me (and I guess for many others), but also satisfy my needs for MP. While 16MP is good for many occasions, a slightly higher MP count would just do it for me. Maybe it's only me, but this is what I am waiting for.

On the rest I am with you that Fuji is doing almost everything just right with their X system - especially the recently released XE2 and now the XT1. And in a number of cases even better than Olympus, although the Oly cameras are pretty exciting and currently my preferred system - because of lens lineup and IBIS.

Just a repeating law - there is and never was A camera which can do all perfect :)

Paul2660

+1 on the 24MP. Size. Hopefully they can get there without an increase in noise which is what happened with the Sony Nex7. Nex-7 great up to about 800 but after that the noise was defeating.

Paul

turtle

+2 on 16MP. Its time to bring a 24mp sensor into the X-series. I don't want to carry lots of different systems to have a range of capabilities, its time, IMO, for Fuji to bring in a higher resolution model - they're stuck at 16MP. While this is great for most people, it does mean they are excluding those who want to make very large finely detailed prints. Fuji has the lenses....

For those where 16MP is fine, this looks like a lovely camera. A real competitor to the Olympus.

raist3d

+2 on 16MP. Its time to bring a 24mp sensor into the X-series. I don't want to carry lots of different systems to have a range of capabilities, its time, IMO, for Fuji to bring in a higher resolution model - they're stuck at 16MP. While this is great for most people, it does mean they are excluding those who want to make very large finely detailed prints. Fuji has the lenses....

For those where 16MP is fine, this looks like a lovely camera. A real competitor to the Olympus.
Fuji with a lack of AA filter can indeed make large detailed prints already. Going 24MP sacrificing DR (see K-3 vs K-5ii, though still a lot) I wouldn't say it's a good idea. Imho.

- Ricardo

turtle

That says it all, doesn't it?
Yes and no, I think. They have the following models at 16MP:

Xpro 1
X-E1/2
X100S
X-T1

They all effectively have one sensor in common and that, IMO, is too narrow a spread. They have lots of cameras coming very close in terms of their application and utility. While they may have differences in their manner, in niche/role they are very, very close.... just different flavours. The X-T1 just breaks out a little in terms of presentation and some functions, but in essence is another (IMO better) variation.

I think they need to broaden their appeal and this invariably means some flagship models that will not be for the masses. The D800 is not for the masses (that's the D610, if we are talking FF), nor is the 1DX (that's the 6D or 5D III).... or the A7R, but right off the bat Sony was wise enough to produce both the A7 and the A7R. In fact, they were so smart in the distrubution of qualities, that many people bought BOTH.

Fuji is leaving a lot of people out and its not just the people who did will not buy a 16MP camera, its the people who have and will buy a 16MP camera AND want something else with a higher pixel count. They may not be worried about this, but if they want to become the backbone of more pro's kits, they will need to spread their range a little wider IMO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The whole MP discussion is getting boring - like "we do not need more", "most people are satisfied with 16MP already" etc. etc....

I absolutely agree that in order to stay competitive, Fuji finally needs to show also models with higher MP count - say 24MP. Having a 16MP and a 24MP line is just what is right for ambitious amateurs, pros and most importantly for making good business (as Sony show with the A7 / A7r).

There is absolutely nothing really limiting a great performance from a 24MP XTRANS sensor and if there is, well there can be always a little restriction WRT higher ISO IQ - say Many would be absolutely happy with a bit worse noise and reduced DR above ISO 3200 or 6400, if they get in turn 24MP - as the K3 shows impressively!

So it would be so easy, just let customer have the choice. Instead we are getting - as already mentioned - a number of very similar cameras (almost identical WRT IQ). This may not be the best business model in the end. Fuji has to show that they also can do 24MP in APSC size. The competition (Olympus EM1) is far to close on their heels even with that "crabby" sensor size of m43.

cmcmillan

I'm still on the fence, in regards to the MP count. I've had very large prints from 10/12MP Nikon DX/FX bodies that I've been very happy with. As long as you scale properly for the output size and do some test swatches before final printing, it usually works out well. I've also done a lot of painted and textured art reproduction using 10/12MP Nikons for giclée printing without any issues.

Sure, more MP can be nice for cropping after the fact and of course for more resolution. For most of my regular usage, I'm happy within the 12-16MP range. The very odd time I've needed 30-40MP or higher in the past, I've usually rented a Digital Medium Format body or if only 20-30MP was needed, shot actual 6x6/6x7 and had it scanned professionally for usage. Sometimes if it's for translights or background/backdrop stuff and depending on the subject matter and shooting conditions, I've been able to shoot several 10/12MP frames and stitch them together.

I still shoot daytime timelapse regularly with 6 & 10MP Nikon bodies since when you crop and scale for HD Video, it's only really roughly 2MP. Good glass helps those older bodies still work well. For night timelapse and high iso usage, you really do need a newer, higher MP body for the improvements in noise and processing.

I was poking around while things were quiet this afternoon and the Canadian pricing for the X-T1 is great. For once, we aren't being treated like it is still 6-8 years ago with a $1.50 US/CDN Dollar.

At Henry's it's $1,299.99 CDN for body only. No pricing on any lens kits yet. (FUJI X-T1 BODY W/ VERTICAL GRIP (INTRO) 600013401)

And if you pre-order before March 31st, you get the Battery grip itself ($250ish CDN Retail) for free. Some other, smaller Toronto area stores are also offering a free 32GB Sandisk Extreme Class 10 Card with pre-order as well as the battery grip.

Now, I'm really torn as to if I *need* an X-T1 more than just *wanting* one. Decisions, decisions.

Chris

JonMo

I have already pre-ordered at Canada Camera.
No free Mem card though. :(

With the fluctuation of the Canadian dollar downward, I guess I was excited to get in before Fuji Canada decided to shift cost accordingly.

Glad I didn't get two x-e2 bodies now! One e2 for with wide zoom and one T1 with long zoom, all at the lower weight advantage of the Fuji bodies; excellent.

When I had my back surgery and was given a weight restriction recently, I had to give up my 35mm and MF gear. Thought I would never be happy with mirrorless but was given little choice.

Was I ever wrong. The Fuji X Sensor is ridiculously good. The glass is excellent.

Now I just need a Fuji replacement for my EF 300mm f2.8 IS L monster lens with perhaps a 2x extender and all will be good in the world!

As far as resolution goes, I sold my Epson 9900 and just use my 3800 with K3 inks.
The images from my E2 print beautifully on Colorado Fiber Silk at 17".
I have not had the opportunity to print bigger yet or offset printing.

Will see.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
We can be relatively sure that any top model from Fuji will have a Fuji sensor. Since Fuji don't sell their sensors to others, the production volume is much, much lower than that of Sony, and the price, including development cost, correspondingly higher. This has been the situation since year 2000 (and even before that), when the S1 was introduced, and this is probably the way it will be in the future.

I'm sure Fuji has one or more sensors with higher resolution in development, probably with other features as well (they recently patented a sensor with enlarged green pixels). But Fuji is not participating in any "pixel race'. They never were. Those who need higher resolution now should look elsewhere, but remember that a 24 MP sensor will only give 23% linear size increase compared to 16 MP. One really has to go all the way to 36 MP to see a significant difference.

We're talking about a company that sells millions of sheets of instant film every year, film that results in a final image that is 46 x 62 mm. Those guys know what they are doing and what their market is. One thing is for sure: they don't have to launch anything above 16 MP unless they're sure it represents a quality in solid Fujifilm tradition. If you need more, Velvia is still available in 8 x 10 :ROTFL: