The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

Tim

A very tempting system.... the large viewfinder, with its rotating infos,
Fuji stole my idea and thunder on the rotating info. I was going to ask how a "casual" portrait photog using anything where you want to maximize sensor coverage and puttinh the camera to vertical gets on. I expect you've all learnt to read sideways?

Godfrey

Fuji stole my idea and thunder on the rotating info. I was going to ask how a "casual" portrait photog using anything where you want to maximize sensor coverage and puttinh the camera to vertical gets on. I expect you've all learnt to read sideways?
I dunno ... It's never been an issue for me. A nice touch, however.

G

Nathan W. Lediard

This is a very interesting comment regarding the HC/HCD lenses lacking of character.
I've seen lots of outstanding pictures taken by the HC/HCD lenses and had almost all of them myself. Characters of lenses may be something very subjective as my finding is opposite.
I think the Fuji X lenses are fantastic.
Well said!
I have 4 HC/HCD lenses for my H4D and they are outstanding in every way, I have a quite complete Canon system too, (although I sold my big whites to help with the hassy as I dont shoot motorsport anymore) with some of the best lenses Canon make, and when you look at the image quality vs price point of the little fuji with for example the 35mmf1.4 vs my 1Dx with the 50mm 1,2L well I have to say these little Fuji x lenses are amazing! I have seriously considered getting rid of the canon stuff and just having fuji as kit nr 2 , but AF speed has to this date not been what I need for a full swap, and low light focus acquisition is hard to beat on the Canon.. Until those two limitations are fixed then my fuji will still be mainly used for private work where I dont want a big heavy bag with me... As for "only" 16 megapixels, well I recently did a job for a book with well over 100 pics delivered that were shot on my Hassy.. apart from one, which was a spur of the moment shot grabbed between takes with the x-pro1 and the 35mm of three of the child models sheltering froma rain shower in a boathouse... the designer loved it and it made it to the book... When looking through the book that pic just fits right in... it doesn't scream "hang on, that pic was made with a little 16mp fuji!" Its even a crop! gasp...
Although I wont be running out to get the XT-1 straight away, i am pretty sure one will make it to my kitbag by the end of the year... (Business choices here) and that 56 f1.2 has to be got first... :)

bensonga

Just added my name to the list for the X-T1 at my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo).

Guess I am going "all in" with the Fuji X series. :eek:

Gary

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gary - a wise long term choice IMHO :thumbs:

The Fuji X system definitely punches above it's weight and other than AF comparisons to DSLRs I find it every bit as good as my Nikons and is my travel/small system of choice. Most importantly the lenses are excellent too.

Paul2660

Just added my name to the list for the X-T1 at my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo).

Gary
Gray

The one time I was in Anchorage, I stopped in at Stewarts on or near the large fountain and square. Back then I was shooting the Nikon D1 and I had a battery issue thst they helped me with. That was in 2000 glad to see they are still in business.

Paul C

bensonga

Gray
The one time I was in Anchorage, I stopped in at Stewarts on or near the large fountain and square. Back then I was shooting the Nikon D1 and I had a battery issue thst they helped me with. That was in 2000 glad to see they are still in business.
Paul C
Hi Paul. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at Stewarts. I've been a customer of Stewarts Photo since the mid-80s. Not only are they still in business, but the owner has spent many thousands of dollars remodeling the store in the past year, while retaining many of the interior and exterior features that link them to a unique, 50+ year history in Anchorage. Pressed tin ceilings etc. Their staff is very knowlegeable and prices are equal to or competitive with the big mail order houses, such as B&H etc. I feel very fortunate to have such a good local shop, with a great selection of high end gear, talented and helpful staff.

Here's a little info about the shop. If you're interested, take a few moments to cycle thru some of the historical photos. Ivan and Oro Stewart opened the store in 1943.

http://stewartsphoto.com/about/

I don't think my friend Brian, who is the manager of Stewarts Photo, will mind if I post this photo he took recently. He was testing a Leica WATE lens on a Sony A7r. The original, full resolution image is incredibly sharp. As I metioned....they have some very nice gear at Stewarts Photo. :D

I hope folks won't mind that I've posted a Sony image on a Fuji thread. ;)

Gary

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

:thumbs: for a local photo store who can stand up to the likes of Amazon and B&H/Adorama. I applaud each and every one of us who keep our local guys in business (in case you haven't noticed it's a pet peeve of mine!).

I try to order and buy all of my cameras & lenses etc locally (shout out for ProPhoto Supply in Portland) because not only does it keep it in the community, selfishly they also go the extra mile if there any issues with gear etc too. It's worth the few extra $ (and most often not even any extra).

photocrasher

Just played with an X-T1 on Thursday. The photos I've seen of it online make it look larger than it was when I had it in my hands. My X-Pro1 actually seemed larger in comparison. The viewfinder is gorgeous and large, and the resolution inside is amazing. I was cautiously optimistic with the announcement and initial reviews, but after seeing it in person I'm sold.

photocrasher

Phil,

I have a local repair dealer who did an excellent job also converting my Leaf Aptus 65 to 630NM IR cut. Advance Camera in Beaverton do conversions D-SLR IR Conversion | Advance Camera Inc. - great folks who are proactive in keeping you up to date with progress and do a great job. They also handled some adjustments and impossible repairs/upgrades to my Fuji XPan II & 30mm VF too.

I also have had a good experience with Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome
Thanks Graham -- I will either convert my current X-Pro or 5DIII -- whichever has an upgrade first 5DIV or X-Pro 2 ;) Up till now - I know Life Pixel does not convert Fuji.

I will write this down

best

Phil

Have either of you experimented with an 87C filter on the lens rather than converting the camera? That is my current method of shooting IR with these cameras and I've had great success. Just curious if converting it has some advantage I've not thought of.

alajuela

Have either of you experimented with an 87C filter on the lens rather than converting the camera? That is my current method of shooting IR with these cameras and I've had great success. Just curious if converting it has some advantage I've not thought of.
Hi

I know when I converted my 5d at life pixel - I also had them calibrated my 24 - 70.

The following advantages

1. I could hand hold - as much as I like tripods (really) it was much more convenient. Especially in bad weather.

2. Along with that - I could use fasted shutter speeds, which gave me sharper images, with no "ghosting" on things like leaves and people, which have a nasty habit of moving.

The downside of the 5D was focus (AF was off the mirror). The Fuji (or any of the mirror-less cameras, or live view on DSLR) can focus off the sensor, so you can get true focus with IR - no focus shift. For example now with my DF (converted phase back P45+ full spectrum) I have three choices,

1. AF focus - then add filter - change to MF and adjust for focus shift.

2. Tether (means bringing a laptop)

3. Or shoot stopped down - range finder street style

I am looking forward as stated above for the 5DIV or Xpro - 2 ( I really like my fuji and 5DIII) then I will convert my existing to full spectrum - I like the option of the controlling the effect of light, Max Max makes some interesting filters - like one that blocks (softly 320 - 670 nm) - nice to see the light (color) bleed into the image, and of course you can always convert it to B&W with IR effect.

Also with full spectrum you have the option of putting a Hot Mirror filter on and shooting visible light - Two cameras in one

Phil

Last edited:

bensonga

Gary
Got my X-T1 today. :)

It's smaller than I expected it to be. I'll definitely be putting the vertical battery grip on it. Has anyone seen the grip yet?

Gary

GrahamWelland

Got my X-T1 today. :)

It's smaller than I expected it to be. I'll definitely be putting the vertical battery grip on it. Has anyone seen the grip yet?

Gary
I've only seen the grip in the review videos. I ordered one also although I'm expecting the camera to arrive before the grip given the lack of sample grip shots out there.

tick tock tick tock as I wait for my X-T1 ... :chug:

Didn't have to wait long it seems :thumbup:

Last edited:

jonoslack

I've only seen the grip in the review videos. I ordered one also although I'm expecting the camera to arrive before the grip given the lack of sample grip shots out there.

tick tock tick tock as I wait for my X-T1 ... :chug:

Didn't have to wait long it seems :thumbup:
Congratulations Graham
I've cracked - I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!

All the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Graham
I've cracked - I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!

All the best
Jono,

I am sure you will be more than happy! Love my XE2 and the XT1 is sure one further step above.

You only need to be patient with RAW support in Aperture, which still is not available for the XE2 after almost 6 months of this camera being available. But the OOC JPEGs are actually what really shine, so you will be more than pleased.

Have fun

Peter

mazor

Just had a play with the Xt1 at my local camera shop, and boy is it amazing!! The EVF is indeed impressive. Magnification, clarity and the brightness are second to none. The best part of this this is that the colors seems to be exceptionally accurate to the point where the EVF view is indistinguishable from the real view.

AF speed with the 18-55mm is impressive. Literally as I half press the shutter it already has locked focus!

If I had not just purchased an E-M1 I definitely would have gone for this kit!

Elderly

I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!
As an old person I really like the theory of operating this camera;
I like the idea of an aperture ring on the lenses,
I like the idea of ISO adjustment via a dial on the top plate.
I like Fuji, loved my GX680 III and still have my S5Pro -
but I've only recently bought an EM-1 & 12-40 lens .........
......... So I'm VERY envious, and I'm very interested to hear your opinion,
an opinion that won't be (like so many on the 'net) ultracrepidarian :)

Mike Woods

Congratulations Graham

All the best
Hi Jono, let me know how it goes. Very interested in this one! Thinking of offloading the Olympus.

What are your lens intentions? 18-55 gets good reviews, and I like the idea of a couple of the primes.

Are you getting the M adapter?

Mike

GrahamWelland

Congratulations Graham

All the best
Jono,

I hope you enjoy the Fuji! The native lenses are excellent, especially the primes (14, 23, 35 in particular) but I think you'll also be surprised at the quality of the zooms too. Try the Fuji M adapter with some of your Leica lenses too - the ability to dial in corrections is very helpful.

As mentioned earlier, you may be pleasantly surprised (shocked?) at how good the jpgs are and the raws are even better when processed by the best raw converters.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear of your experiences, be they good, bad or indifferent. :thumbs: