The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interesting to hear that many in this thread have a similar issue like me - owning an EM1 (with 12-40) and lusting now to change for the XT1. As I have used both m43 and Fuji X over the past years, I was (and am) from the very beginning convinced of the vast superior IQ from the X system. What screwed me down so far was the slow to almost unusable AF (for me) of the XPro1 and the XE1.

This seems now mostly gone with the XE2 and the XT1. Plus lens options are getting much more competitive for the X system today.

So I am in the same boat - should I sell my trusted m43 system and jump over to Fuji? I definitely do not want to keep both systems for mid to long term.

jonoslack

Jono,

You only need to be patient with RAW support in Aperture, which still is not available for the XE2 after almost 6 months of this camera being available. But the OOC JPEGs are actually what really shine, so you will be more than pleased.

Have fun

Peter
Hi There Peter
I'd realised this with Aperture - it's one of the reasons I've avoided Fuji before, on the other hand I guess it'll come, and I'm up for shooting jpg+RAW for a while (I think it's quite a good discipline apart from anything else!

Lunch Time Pickup :chug:

jonoslack

but I've only recently bought an EM-1 & 12-40 lens .........
......... So I'm VERY envious, and I'm very interested to hear your opinion,
an opinion that won't be (like so many on the 'net) ultracrepidarian :)
HI There Ian

I had to look up ultracrepidarian - I'm surprised it's not more in use with respect to the internet these days! (and flattered not to considered it!)

I'm definitely NOT getting rid of the E-M1 and 12-40 - it just proved it's use in the Lake district. I'll run them side by side until the Fuji 16-55 lens appears and then make a decision - an expensive luxury, but good fun!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi There Peter
I'd realised this with Aperture - it's one of the reasons I've avoided Fuji before, on the other hand I guess it'll come, and I'm up for shooting jpg+RAW for a while (I think it's quite a good discipline apart from anything else!

Lunch Time Pickup :chug:
Jono,

I am running Aperture, LR5 and C1 Pro in parallel (crazy me).

Meanwhile both LR5 as well as C1P are supporting X Raw files at least up to the XE2 for some time and I expect XT1 being supported pretty soon as well. Both are quite capable, and IMHO deliver pretty similar quality, but the LR5 functionality for me makes lot of sense - there should be soon also Fuji film modes supported for RAW. And LR5 nowadays is pretty cheap as well.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, let me know how it goes. Very interested in this one! Thinking of offloading the Olympus.

What are your lens intentions? 18-55 gets good reviews, and I like the idea of a couple of the primes.

Are you getting the M adapter?

Mike
Hi There Mike
To start with I'm just going to get the 18-55 (and maybe the macro). I'm not going to jump in with both feet until:
1. I see the weather sealed zooms
2. I see the Aperture RAW conversion.

To be honest, the M is always likely to be my preferred weapon when shooting primes. I can't really see that changing, but I do like a properly weather sealed alternative with a zoom. The Sony A7 isn't it (can't love it and I don't trust the weather sealing). The Olympus passes the test, but I'm rather seduced by what I see of the Fuji colour - added to which I like their attitude (firmware updates for dead cameras for instance).

All the best

jonoslack

Hi There Graham
Jono,

I hope you enjoy the Fuji! The native lenses are excellent, especially the primes (14, 23, 35 in particular) but I think you'll also be surprised at the quality of the zooms too. Try the Fuji M adapter with some of your Leica lenses too - the ability to dial in corrections is very helpful.
To be honest, I'm more interested in the zooms - I'll keep with the M for primes on the whole, same with the M adapter - I'll probably give it a go if I decide to stay, otherwise I've come to the conclusion that native lenses work best.

As mentioned earlier, you may be pleasantly surprised (shocked?) at how good the jpgs are and the raws are even better when processed by the best raw converters.
I'm banking on it! Shooting jpg is Quite a good way of learning a camera anyway. Added to which, with Fuji of all people one should trust their colour. I use Aperture, so I'll shoot jpg+RAW and use the jpgs as originals - if I take a great shot which needs more work, then I can always open it in something else and do the processing.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear of your experiences, be they good, bad or indifferent. :thumbs:
I'll try not to be a an ultracrepidarian! (new favourite word - Thank You Ian)

DavidL

Congratulations Graham
I've cracked - I'm picking mine up from the local store (LCE in Norwich) tomorrow morning - this is my first journey into Fuji territory- I hope I'm going to be happy!

All the best
Be interested in your views, as you know I'm happy in Fujiland and currently contemplating upgrading to either X-E2 or X-T1. However, X-E1 is keeping me going in my retirement and as I only submit to Alamy these days, there's no rush to move on.
David

Braeside

Jono,

I wondered when or if you would be trying the Fuji X-T1, so am delighted to learn that you are.

I currently have the Olympus OMD-EM5 plus a load of m4/3 glass, and the Fuji X-Pro1 plus another load of Fuji X glass, and one system had to go as I cannot be doing with trying to remember the ins an outs of 2 different systems, it makes more sense for me to consider another Fuji as a backup, I wouldn't part with the XP-1, so all of the Oly gear and Panasonic lenses are going (at a considerable loss no doubt).

I am in no hurry to get the X-T1, will wait until Aperture supports it probably, and am also more interested in a weatherproof upgraded X-Pro1 type camera as I like the OVF very much, so may wait for word of that, however the X-_T1 might give some clues as to what to expect in terms of performance.

I am waiting for the 23mm 1.4 Fuji lens to arrive here, which is a focal length that I find perfect for me, the closest I have is my 25mm Zeiss Biogon on the GXR M mount.

Hopefully once my health issues are a bit better, I can actually get somewhere and shoot, fingers crossed.

That was the Amazon man at the door, but only the ND filter I ordered... and there is not enough daylight to need it just now.

Cheers

jonoslack

Here are three shots on the way back from the store....
Nice colour (especially the third one :) )

Reach for the sky

Bokeh

Which way now!

Apologies for the double posting

jonoslack

Jono,

I wondered when or if you would be trying the Fuji X-T1, so am delighted to learn that you are.

I currently have the Olympus OMD-EM5 plus a load of m4/3 glass, and the Fuji X-Pro1 plus another load of Fuji X glass, and one system had to go as I cannot be doing with trying to remember the ins an outs of 2 different systems, it makes more sense for me to consider another Fuji as a backup, I wouldn't part with the XP-1, so all of the Oly gear and Panasonic lenses are going (at a considerable loss no doubt).

I am in no hurry to get the X-T1, will wait until Aperture supports it probably, and am also more interested in a weatherproof upgraded X-Pro1 type camera as I like the OVF very much, so may wait for word of that, however the X-_T1 might give some clues as to what to expect in terms of performance.

I am waiting for the 23mm 1.4 Fuji lens to arrive here, which is a focal length that I find perfect for me, the closest I have is my 25mm Zeiss Biogon on the GXR M mount.

Hopefully once my health issues are a bit better, I can actually get somewhere and shoot, fingers crossed.

That was the Amazon man at the door, but only the ND filter I ordered... and there is not enough daylight to need it just now.

Cheers
HI There
Well - I've currently got 3 (or is that 4) mirrorless systems on the go, and I want to get back to one as soon as possible.But I'd like to choose the best one. A week shooting in the Lakes has proved that I really do want weather sealed - there's plenty of good snaps to take in the pouring rain, and you need a weathersealed camera to do it!

greypilgrim

Sigh, I made the mistake of going and trying the X-T1 out at our local store. Fortunately, they only had the display model and none in stock for sale :).

Then I went out shooting with my trusty EM-5, and it felt fiddly :(.

I've never considered running two systems at the same time, but I am seriously considering it now...

As I expected, the locking ISO wheel is annoying, but the rest of the controls felt really well laid out and thought out for me. As others have said, this is what Nikon should have done with the df IMO.

Doug

mazor

agree greypilgrim, the ISO locking wheel I found to be hard to change ISO quickly. Wish it could have been like the EM-1 locking mode dial where one push locks the dial, and one push unlocks it.

jonoslack

Be interested in your views, as you know I'm happy in Fujiland and currently contemplating upgrading to either X-E2 or X-T1. However, X-E1 is keeping me going in my retirement and as I only submit to Alamy these days, there's no rush to move on.
David
Hi David
I hope you're well - you're cat is doing just fine - she's finally mastered the new puppy and life is settling down a bit (yes please!).
I'll soon be in the position of having tried and tested the A7s (both), the E-M1 and also the new Fuji . . . . but to be honest, I can't see that there's anything useful to say - just depends what you want. All of them take decent snaps.

all the best

mazor

HI There
Well - I've currently got 3 (or is that 4) mirrorless systems on the go, and I want to get back to one as soon as possible.But I'd like to choose the best one. A week shooting in the Lakes has proved that I really do want weather sealed - there's plenty of good snaps to take in the pouring rain, and you need a weathersealed camera to do it!
After using the E-M1 in the rain, it gave me confidence to not require the use of a camera bag to protect the E-M1 from the elements and rather simply leave it hanging satchel style, as I walk through the rain.

That being said, back when I used Canon DSLRs, the 10D and then 5D I frequently used it in torrential rains, of which neither was weather sealed, yet both never failed, and still work perfectly today.

jonoslack

agree greypilgrim, the ISO locking wheel I found to be hard to change ISO quickly. Wish it could have been like the EM-1 locking mode dial where one push locks the dial, and one push unlocks it.
Hi There
I quite agree - that toggle button on the E-M1 is the business. But it's lovely to see what you've chosen on the X-T1

I have to say that, provisionally, I'm rather in love.

greypilgrim

Hi There
I quite agree - that toggle button on the E-M1 is the business. But it's lovely to see what you've chosen on the X-T1

I have to say that, provisionally, I'm rather in love.
Jono,
I have to agree with that sentiment somewhat. I told my wife that it would be purely an emotional purchase, not logical at all as I have a very nice m4/3 system built up. She was no help (told me it was okay to go ahead and get it :toocool:).

At this point, it all comes down to the fun of shooting. They all take perfectly good pictures. And it really seems (for me, minus that locking ISO wheel and not having ibis) that the Fuji hits that target...

Doug

Elderly

Fuji or Olympus hardware - decisions, decisions, decisions ......... but for me there's also the big question of 4:3 versus 3:2 formats.