The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 shows up on Fuji's site

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I always said that I would not be interested in such an SLR style camera from Fuji - but now after seeing a real picture it will also be hard to resist for me!

Slowly Fuji is moving into a direction which makes me wonder if I should completely switch camps to X mount from m43 - obvious advantage is IQ and larger sensor size. And then using a camera like the XT1 would also fit better to the larger and heavier super telephoto zooms .....

Great move by Fuji anyway!

DavidL

I always said that I would not be interested in such an SLR style camera from Fuji - but now after seeing a real picture it will also be hard to resist for me!

Slowly Fuji is moving into a direction which makes me wonder if I should completely switch camps to X mount from m43 - obvious advantage is IQ and larger sensor size. And then using a camera like the XT1 would also fit better to the larger and heavier super telephoto zooms .....

Great move by Fuji anyway!
Have to agree it will be hard to resist. I went completely Fuji last year as it meets my requirements these days.
David

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another thing that will be difficult is not to compare it with the Df. Here is a camera that is designed with "retro" controls from the start, is smaller and lighter, half the price, has current lenses with an aperture ring, features split screen for manual focusing (although electronic), can emulate a 35mm camera with legacy lenses and a Speed Booster.

It won't have an optical viewfinder and obviously not the Nikon sensor, but, but, but...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another thing that will be difficult is not to compare it with the Df. Here is a camera that is designed with "retro" controls from the start, is smaller and lighter, half the price, has current lenses with an aperture ring, features split screen for manual focusing (although electronic), can emulate a 35mm camera with legacy lenses and a Speed Booster.

It won't have an optical viewfinder and obviously not the Nikon sensor, but, but, but...
But it will have the Fuji sensor, which IMHO performs superior ;)

And most importantly as you said it is designed from the beginning as a retro style camera based on mirror less and EVF and it is MUCH smaller! So finally something like the original size of an FM2, which Nikon failed miserably with their Df body.

DavidL

More buts please and then I can maybe put my credit card away.
Trouble is I already have the lenses. Was going to upgrade to a XE-2 BUT now;)

retow

What had Fuji`s X10, X100, X-Pro1, XE-1 in common? Exactly, they made all early adopters beta testers.
Manual controls, ergonomics, looks, lenses, everything is done right. But......
I still have the 18, 35, 60, 18-55mm in the closet. So let`s hope they got this one right from the go.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What had Fuji`s X10, X100, X-Pro1, XE-1 in common? Exactly, they made all early adopters beta testers.
Manual controls, ergonomics, looks, lenses, everything is done right. But......
I still have the 18, 35, 60, 18-55mm in the closet. So let`s hope they got this one right from the go.
Just to clarify, I think the XE2 they got already right. I had the XPro1 and could not get friend with it, but the XE2 ticks almost all the boxes. So if the XT1 is topping on that with maybe a slightly larger EVF then it is already poised to become a winner - especially if priced between XPro1 and XE2.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would this kill the market for X-E2?
I think it is rather complementary. They seem to be different beasts - XE2 if you really like small all in one, XT1 if sou prefer larger (better for handling longer and heavier lenses and hopefully larger EVF etc).

retow

Just to clarify, I think the XE2 they got already right. I had the XPro1 and could not get friend with it, but the XE2 ticks almost all the boxes. So if the XT1 is topping on that with maybe a slightly larger EVF then it is already poised to become a winner - especially if priced between XPro1 and XE2.
I hear you. And if it is building on the XE-2 and improving from there I might be very tempted. Any information on the sensor, 20MP or still 16?

DavidL

From Fuji Rumors
There's a picture there, albeit a created montage, which shows the X-T1 compared to the X-E2 it's surprisingly smaller length wise and maybe a bit taller
still rumoured
bigger (extra-large) and better (high performance) EVF
APS-C X-Trans sensor II (16MP) support for the UHS-II SD-card for super-fast writing speed
8fps with AF tracking
weather sealed body
tilt screen
smaller than the X-E2
$1800
additional battery grip

soboyle

I hear you. And if it is building on the XE-2 and improving from there I might be very tempted. Any information on the sensor, 20MP or still 16?
Rumor sites are saying same sensor as X-E2. I was hoping for something near 20-24MP.

etrigan63

Fuji has their work cut out for them. While the X-T1 is rumored to have the same AF as the X-E2 (which I have not tested) how will it perform compared to the OM-D E-M1? The rumored 18-135 f/2.8-4 kit lens will be an ideal travel lens and the Fuji sensors are top-notch (despite the headaches they give the DxO guys) with excellent low light performance. Olympus taking a page from the Leica Manual and is producing faster glass to compensate for less than bleeding edge low light performance. That, and bleeding edge IBIS. I have generally found that the exposure algorithms in these cameras tend to overexpose by 2/3 stop all the time and the faster glass affords me to shoot at night at lower ISOs. I have the m.zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and am poised to order the m.zuiko 25mm f/1.8 when it launches as well. Unlike Leica, these little primes are affordable to those of us on a mac-and-cheese budget.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

I think it is rather complementary. They seem to be different beasts - XE2 if you really like small all in one, XT1 if sou prefer larger (better for handling longer and heavier lenses and hopefully larger EVF etc).
Peter, this is how I'm seeing it as well. I have the X-E2 and like it very much, but there are times that I'd like to have this DSLR form factor and handling. I love that Fuji are using retro-style controls. To me, they are far superior to many modern button and menu control configs.

Looking forward to seeing this new body.

greypilgrim

The Df left me cold after trying out its ergonomics. The locking buttons that they used totally got in my way.

Sensor will be good even if not the same as the D4 sensor; as I found when renting the XE-2, the sensor will do just fine :D. Fuji ergonomics so far have impressed me. Speed Booster as I also posted elsewhere is quite nice.

IBIS is the one thing I would miss. But as was said, perhaps closer to the FM2D style many are looking for?

They added the tilt screen and weather sealing. Personally, it is all wait and see for me. I have the EM-5 and a stable of m4/3 lenses and am quite happy. Switching would be costly indeed, so it would have to be really compelling for me.

Going to be an interesting month or two or three :).

Doug