The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your own personal XF lens roadmap ...

woodworth

Thought you might be pleased to share your thoughts on what lenses you have and plan to get as well as your "wishlist".

So, I'll kick it off. So far I've only got the 23mm/1.4 (I say only ... don't mean to sound ungrateful as I'm very privileged to own such a lovely optic!).

Tomorrow I'll receive a 60mm/2.4 to give me a little system comprising of an equivalent FOV of 35mm and 90mm which will cover most things I imagine.

The lens I plan to add at some stage will be the 14mm/2.8 and then I'll probably have everything that I want (based on what's currently available).

The lens I want Fuji to make for me (and no doubt a few others) would be a 90mm/2 (anything from 1.4 - 2 will be alright with me!). This 135mm EFOV lens is what seems to be missing from Fuji's roadmap and I hope they remedy that soon.

So, now over to you ...

Dale Allyn

Hi Woodworth,

I promised myself I'd go slow with building my Fuji kit because while I like the form factor, I was uncertain of the APS-C sensor size. I've shot FF DSLR and medium format for years, and I really love the latter (even though my medium format system is considered quite humble by today's standards). I wanted the Fuji for a compact kit without going down to smaller sensor size options.

My purpose for the kit is mostly for mountain hikes, general "walk about", travel… I bought the X-E2 with the 18-55mm "kit" lens because as a kit the zoom is dirt cheap and folks here (and elsewhere) spoke highly of the zoom. The little "kit" zoom is quite impressive for its cost and size. The new "rumored" 16-55 f/2.8 (weather sealed) is very interesting to me. This focal range is a real workhorse area for me.

I also presently have the 35mm f/1.4. It's quite nice, but for general walk around stuff the zoom has hogged most of the camera time.

Originally, my "roadmap" included the 14mm and the 60mm macro. I use close-up (more than macro) for some of my work, but I'm finding out that for much of that I can use either of the lenses I now have because they focus close enough (~ 12"), and flat field correction is not frequently needed in my work use-case. So I'm stalling on the 60mm macro for now. I also have a Mamyia 120mm macro for my Phase One back, so I'm well covered there for work.

The 14mm is still very attractive to me. The effective FL (equivalent to 21mm in FF) is a good FoV for me. However, after using the kit in the mountains recently I started wondering if I'd like to have the new 10-24mm zoom for hiking landscape stuff. While I prefer primes, there is the possible advantage of composing with a zoom that can eliminate any need for cropping. I hate cropping, so this new option is giving me pause. My guess is that I'll end up with the 14mm first, and then perhaps add the wide zoom if it is a great lens.

Like you, I'd like a fast 90mm, but I'd also jump at a 75mm if that's what Fuji provided. 135mm f/2.0 has always been a favorite on FF, and I'm not interested in Fuji's long and slow zooms. I'm looking very closely at the Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8 to use with the M adapter, but I pref not using an adapter if possible. Still, manual focus and peaking work great for me on the X-E2, but I'd like the AF option of a native lens.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've played with my Canon 135mm f/2.0 L on the X-E2 as well. It's great fun, but a little large/heavy. Bokeh is, of course, awesome though. :)

So… put me on the petition for a ~90mm f/2.0!

Last edited:

phips243

Well, definitely the 56...
Although I have owned the X-E1 for over a year now, I didn't get another lens besides the 18-55 that I bought bundled with the camera. I'm more into primes than zooms and actually just bought the 18-55 since it was that much cheaper coming with the camera. However, when I started to use it on the E1, I just fell in love with it. That and some distraction by the Sigma Merrills (DP1M and DP2M) kept me from getting more lenses (primes).
But now that the X-T1 and the 56 arrived...I'm back on the Fuji track... ;-)

I was thinking about "upgrading" but hesitated to get the E2 since to me it felt like buying the same camera a second time (let alone having two bodies and just one lens would have been an utterly stupied idea lol).

But now the X-T1 is offering everything I wished for in a X camera (except an organic sensor lol).

So to finally make things short:
The 56....

The 27, as it is superb and rather "cheap". And I regard it to be the best compromise between the 23 and the 35 (well, for me ofc). I love to shoot street, but the 23 (I also own the X100) was too wide for me at times. The 35, again, just is a bit too narrow. And yeah, the 23 would make my still loved X100 "obsolete"...

The 14...even though it collides with my DPs a bit, since I use those for landscape...

I would love some "135" equivalent as well. Guess I would be happy with a 85/1.8....till a native option might arrive, I will do with my great Nikkor AF-S 85/1.8G using a Nikkor G to Fuji X adapter (I also own a D7000). The only thing that bothers me is the Nikkor's bulkyness. For a second I was even stupied enough, to think about buying a Nikkor 85/1.8D, since it is retro and a bit more compact...but it's also not as good as the G-lens...so I came to my senses... ;-)

doc4x5

I love my X E-1 and as of yesterday have the X T-1 on order at my local emporium. I bought a bunch of lenses with the body because, at the time, there were terrific discounts. I'm another one of those folks who was using 4x5 and MF film not that long ago but then decided the DSLR was the future. I bought a D70 in 2005 and never looked back. I still have my D800E and a bunch of wonderful but large and heavy lenses. I have no plans to divest myself of that wonderful camera, but now find myself using the Fuji far more often.

At the time of the body purchase, I got the 18-55, impressive but not quite up to the primes, the 14 f/2.8, one of the finest lenses I've ever used, the 35 f/1.4, sharp and crisp, the 60 f/2.4, also incredibly sharp and clean with some macro capability. Recently I got the 55-200 and find it to be impressively sharp with superb stabilization.

I'm not planning on the 56 f/1.2, it's not for my style, and the 23 f/1.4, while tempting, I've managed to resist... so far. It will be fun to see how good, large, and expensive the 18-55 f/2.8 is when it arrives. I've shown 13x20 prints from the Fuji right next to 13x20 prints from the D800E and while pixel peepers might see some difference, most viewers, even photographers, just like the images and do not comment on their technical aspects. Bodies come and go, lenses are where it's at.

Last edited:

bensonga

I have an X-E1 which I purchased with the 18-55mm kit lens, plus the 35/1.4 (my favorite Fuji lens) and 60/2.4 macro. I had planned to stop there, at least until I saw what the X-Pro2 might look like (I love the hybrid viewfinder in my X100). However, today I picked up a new X-Pro1 for $779 from the local dealer, so I think I may add a couple more lenses to my Fuji kit. The 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 are at the top of my list and possibly a used 14/2.8 from a friend. For the kind of photos I typically take, I'm not really interested in the longer zooms.

Gary

Paul2660

The 56mm 1.2 looks impressive and I love the 23mm 1.4, wish they would make a 14mm 1.4 but not likely as the 14mm 2.8 is such a good lens.

Paul

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have the 27/2.8, and I love it. and I was going to pre-order the 56/1.2, but the other day I got hold of a pristine CV 58/1.4 and the mechanics/ergonomics are simply superb. So I have an adapter on the way, and if I like this lens in daily life as much as I think I will, then the 56/1,2 is off the table. The X-E1 MF aids, as everyone here knows, are excellent. I posted a couple of images with the MD Rokkor 50/1.4, too (over at Fred's site, in the Fuji-X images thread in the Alt. section).

And I was going to buy the 14/2.8, but when I tested my CV 12/5.6, that desire died. I will get a tilt adapter for my Oly glass, too (I have a bunch, from 24/2.8 to the truly excellent 50/3.5 macro).

So, I think that I might be set here with what I already have. And the el cheapo (but OEM) grip ($84!) arrived today and it is perhaps the best $84 I have spent.

An aside: I love the look of the X-T1, but the X-E1/grip, for a total cost of $435 USD is hard to beat. And if you are using mostly alt. glass, who needs the upgraded (PDAF) sensor?

etrigan63

My initial kit is the 18-55mm kit zoom (which is AWESOME). I thought about the 18-135mm but decided to stick with the one I know. The 55-200 will be next, lightly used if I can swing it for when I shoot track meets and sailing events. That will keep my travel kit down to two lenses.

Dale Allyn

My initial kit is the 18-55mm kit zoom (which is AWESOME). I thought about the 18-135mm but decided to stick with the one I know. The 55-200 will be next, lightly used if I can swing it for when I shoot track meets and sailing events. That will keep my travel kit down to two lenses.
It looks like the 55-200 will be on the new promo, so $200 off, supposedly starting on February 9th.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Damn, I confess that I have all of them. Fuji is one of the few vendors who understand photographers and not just pixel peepers.

Yes. I'm biased! Unashamedly.

phips243

After all the good things I hear about the new 10-24/4.0, I might consider it instead of the 14/2.8...it might as well be the best zoom lens in that focal length range available...

Initially, I got the 35mm, then added a Voigtlander 75mm 1.8. I pre-ordered the 56mm, and might get the 23mm.
I wish Fuji would add a 90mm (or longer) portrait lens to the roadmap.

bensonga

Gotta love those Fuji lens rebates. I added this one to my arsenal today. :D

The build quality of this lens seems even better than the 14, 35, 60 macro and 18-55 lenses I own.

I expect the 56mm f1.2 lens will be as good or better. :)

Gary

etrigan63

Well my 55-200 arrived today. Very hefty glass for a CSC system. I'm glad I ordered the VG-XT1 grip. I replaced the stock hood (technically I left it wrapped in the box) with a screw-in metal hood from Amazon. Once the X-T1 arrives, I can check for vignetting (which I highly doubt).

Dale Allyn

Gotta love those Fuji lens rebates. I added this one to my arsenal today. :D

The build quality of this lens seems even better than the 14, 35, 60 macro and 18-55 lenses I own.

I expect the 56mm f1.2 lens will be as good or better. :)

Gary
Congrats, Gary. I'm still going slow on this kit, since my motivation was for a compact travel and hiking kit. It's really taking some discipline to stick to my original goal, though. It's a fun kit and I continue to want to add more glass (and bodies) to the bag.

We'll see where it settles, but for now I'm going slow. The 56 is on my radar, as is the 14 (since the start). Like others, I just wish/hope that Fuji would answer the call for a fairly fast 75-90mm prime (112-135mm equiv). They seem to be putting a lot of push towards zooms (slow), but hopefully they'll not leave us out in the cold.

Fun times…

GrahamWelland

Dale,

The 14mm is a superb lens. The 23 and 35 are also of similar quality and definitely keepers. The 14 and 23 in particular seem to share the same DNA.

bensonga

Congrats, Gary. I'm still going slow on this kit, since my motivation was for a compact travel and hiking kit. It's really taking some discipline to stick to my original goal, though. It's a fun kit and I continue to want to add more glass (and bodies) to the bag.

Fun times…
This is definitely a compact kit. I currently have my XPro1, 14, 23, 35 and 60 mm lenses in a slim Domke F-803 Waxwear bag. There's still room for the small Fuji EF-20 flash or another small lens. :)

Review: Domke F-803 CAMERA SATCHEL - RUGGEDWEAR - The Phoblographer

Gary

GrahamWelland

Gary,

I use the same bag when just shooting with a single camera. I love the brown waxed F803 ruggedwear bag. I replaced the insert with a red Artisan & Artist padded insert. Domke leave a little to be desired with their interior fittings but it's still a superb bag.

bensonga

Thanks for the tip re the A&A insert Graham! I'll check it out. I definitely agree with you re the Domke inserts, but I do like the bag itself.

Gary