The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your own personal XF lens roadmap ...

DavidL

I'm contemplating replacing my 14mm and 18-55 with the proposed 16-55 f2.8 if it turns out to be optically as good as other top line fuji lenses. This would cover most of my requirements and I would have the 55-200 should I need to go long. The 14mm is a great lens but I'm personally happier with 16mm (24mm equivalent).
david

Dale Allyn

This is definitely a compact kit. I currently have my XPro1, 14, 23, 35 and 60 mm lenses in a slim Domke F-803 Waxwear bag. There's still room for the small Fuji EF-20 flash or another small lens. :)

Review: Domke F-803 CAMERA SATCHEL - RUGGEDWEAR - The Phoblographer

Gary
Gary, I had the TT Retrospective 5 (the smallest of the series) here and it rather easily handled X-E2 with kit zoom, the 35mm f/1.4, and the 75mm f/2.5 Voigtlander (tiny) with room for another lens and plenty of misc. accessories. I decided that it was a bit small for my taste though because adding non-photo items for travel made it too much of a juggle. I opted for a larger bag, but now I have the *problem* of having plenty of room for the 14mm and the 23, and probably even the 60 macro. Uh oh. :D

But hey, my wife agreed that the larger bag was a better choice, so she's partly responsible if I buy more lenses, right?

I had considered the Domke f803 as well. Great value and very handy size. I may get one later. Never enough camera bags. I agree with Graham's comment on the Domke interiors. And I prefer linings to be of material that allows for cross-connecting dividers at any place, i.e. velcro will stick anywhere so I can use any of my numerous extra dividers from other bags I own.

Dale Allyn

Dale,

The 14mm is a superb lens. The 23 and 35 are also of similar quality and definitely keepers. The 14 and 23 in particular seem to share the same DNA.
Hi Graham,

Sorry, I missed your post here. Thanks for your comments on the primes. I'll certainly add the 14mm during this promo period. I'm cooped up with work right now, so have very little time to get out and enjoy the kit right now – especially a wide FL. At present I have the three lenses mentioned to Gary above, expecting to add the 14 and possibly a 90mm Leica M if Fuji don't provide something in a longer, fairly fast prime.

Frankly, the value provided by Fuji warrants getting them all, but I'm still pretending that my intention was to build a simple three (or maybe four) lens kit – but I suck at that. ;)

bensonga

Gary, I had the TT Retrospective 5 (the smallest of the series) here and it rather easily handled X-E2 with kit zoom, the 35mm f/1.4, and the 75mm f/2.5 Voigtlander (tiny) with room for another lens and plenty of misc. accessories. I decided that it was a bit small for my taste though because adding non-photo items for travel made it too much of a juggle. I opted for a larger bag, but now I have the *problem* of having plenty of room for the 14mm and the 23, and probably even the 60 macro. Uh oh. :D

But hey, my wife agreed that the larger bag was a better choice, so she's partly responsible if I buy more lenses, right?

I had considered the Domke f803 as well. Great value and very handy size. I may get one later. Never enough camera bags. I agree with Graham's comment on the Domke interiors. And I prefer linings to be of material that allows for cross-connecting dividers at any place, i.e. velcro will stick anywhere so I can use any of my numerous extra dividers from other bags I own.
Hi Dale,

I really like the TT Retrospective bags as well. I think I have 4-5 of them in different sizes. My Sony A7 kit currently lives in a Retrospecitve 7.

This is actually the only Domke camera bag I own. I like the look and size of it, but the protection is definitely not up to the level of many other shoulder bags available. I'm just about maxed out with space in f803 now, so if I do get the 56/1.2 or want to put my Voigtlander 75/1.8 in there, it would be a tight fit, so something would have to come out.

Might have to buy another (and larger) TT Retrospective.... :D

Gary

etrigan63

Slight deviation in my plan: ran across a new Fuji 18-55mm lens on another forum for a price I could not resist. Ordered it and then cancelled my orders with Amazon and ordered the body + grip from Henry's (they ship to the US and a favorable exchange rate worked to save me more money than Geico).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
18-55 is an extraordinarily useful lens for travel. Add a 14mm and 55-200 and you are covered for just about anything. :thumbs:

Btw, I'm surprised that Fuji have not come out with a tele-converter yet. I've had some situations where I've wanted more reach than the 200mm on the zoom and a 1.4x would have been great. Admittedly I could spend $3k and get a Nikon 80-400 and stick it on the x via an adapter but a small tele-converter would be more practical.

Last edited: