The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 sample images on that other site

Ken_R

Yeah, I think the most important aspect of the X-T1 is not the image quality since it has basically the same 16mp xtrans sensor as the other Fujis. What matters most with the X-T1 is its functionality. Mainly the AF performance (speed/accuracy/response), viewfinder and controls/features. That's what I want to know about.

f/otographer

Yeah, I think the most important aspect of the X-T1 is not the image quality since it has basically the same 16mp xtrans sensor as the other Fujis. What matters most with the X-T1 is its functionality. Mainly the AF performance (speed/accuracy/response), viewfinder and controls/features. That's what I want to know about.
From my time handling the X-T1 a few days ago I can say the EVF is the best I have ever seen. On top of putting what is proabably the best and biggest EVF ever to grace a camera Fuji also put a lot of thought into how you can make it work for you.

The dual image mode where it shows the composition and a smaller box to the side for the focusing aid is absolutely ingenious. It really shows that Fuji understands a lot of people still like to manual focus. It is nothing more then a continuation of the split prism feature of SLR's of old but updated with modern tech, and I never thought a company would have the balls to implement something like that. Go Fuji.

The controls are great. They feel wonderful. What Fuji has done here is bring back the 35mm film SLR right where it left off in the early 80's. Its not trying to be retro, its not modern retro a 'la NEX, its not a poser DF...it IS the continuation of a line I thought long dead.

My absolutely only concern with the design is the locking ISO dial. They maybe should have thought that thru a little more. Back in the film SLR you simply set your ASA dial and left it there for the whole roll of film, unless you were jacking about with exposure. But on a modern digital I change ISO all the time. I expressed this concern to the Fuji rep and he recommended I simply use the Auto ISO function. I have never been a big fan of Auto ISO but he explained the you can greatly tailor the Auto ISO to respond exactly how you want by setting a lot of its parameters to your liking. Tell it you dont want to go below a certain shutter speed or over a max ISO and such like. I think you can almost use it like an ISO priority mode. I didnt play with that function when I had the camera so it will bear some more fiddling with to see how it is actually implemented.

One feature the Fuji Rep showed me was the app you can download to your tablet or phone. You simply turn the WiFi on the camera ON and then find it on your mobile device. Once your connected you go to your Fuji app and it will show you a real time view of what the camera sees. You can touch the image to auto focus and change aperture and shutter speed and exposure comp right there on your device. He demoed it for me by giving the X-T1 to another rep and had him walk around the store while we viewed the image coming from the camera on the first Reps tablet. He told the other guy with the camera to stop and point the X-T1 at a wall of old cameras and he then focused on one on the tablet and took a picture. I heard the faint 'click' of the shutter from where the other guy had the camera. Impressive little feature to say the least.

Overall I think Fuji has a winner here. Im excited about this camera in a way that I havent been in a while. Not really since I got my NEX 7 a couple of years ago. I got excited about that camera since it was basically a 24mp digital back for all my old lenses.

Fuji is now offering that same functionality in a nicely thought out and classic design that doesnt just hearken back to the cameras of old, but brings those cameras right here to the modern world with updated tech and abilities.

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades....Fuji shades.

Oh, if the AF works like they say (Im still leery of believing any companies AF claims) then this camera is what everybody else is going to have to catch up to. Put it this way....I dont like AF. But those fast prime Fujinons are looking really nice. And weather sealing on top of it all with the new lenses??

Sold.

Ken_R

Thanks for info. The X-T1 shows what all DSLRs should become. Wow. I wish it had a sensor with more resolution though.

etrigan63

DPR has a long history of settling on a certain path and always shooting the same kinds of things. When Phil was doing it, it was shots of London and its environs plus a photo of his wife. Always included the Tower Bridge, never the London Eye, mostly during the day, etc...

Paul2660

My absolutely only concern with the design is the locking ISO dial. They maybe should have thought that thru a little more. Back in the film SLR you simply set your ASA dial and left it there for the whole roll of film, unless you were jacking about with exposure. But on a modern digital I change ISO all the time. I expressed this concern to the Fuji rep and he recommended I simply use the Auto ISO function. I have never been a big fan of Auto ISO but he explained the you can greatly tailor the Auto ISO to respond exactly how you want by setting a lot of its parameters to your liking. Tell it you dont want to go below a certain shutter speed or over a max ISO and such like. I think you can almost use it like an ISO priority mode. I didnt play with that function when I had the camera so it will bear some more fiddling with to see how it is actually implemented.

One feature the Fuji Rep showed me was the app you can download to your tablet or phone. You simply turn the WiFi on the camera ON and then find it on your mobile device. Once your connected you go to your Fuji app and it will show you a real time view of what the camera sees. You can touch the image to auto focus and change aperture and shutter speed and exposure comp right there on your device. He demoed it for me by giving the X-T1 to another rep and had him walk around the store while we viewed the image coming from the camera on the first Reps tablet. He told the other guy with the camera to stop and point the X-T1 at a wall of old cameras and he then focused on one on the tablet and took a picture. I heard the faint 'click' of the shutter from where the other guy had the camera. Impressive little feature to say the least.

really nice. And weather sealing on top of it all with the new lenses??

Sold.
Is it no longer possible to change the iso via a Q button or setup menu? like on the X-E1 or 2? Only via the dial. If so I agree with you on workflow as I there are times I want to change it pretty fast.

The new WiFi features really look great. There is talk that some of this or all might filter down to the X-E2 with a firmware update. The app looks well thought out and offers great control.

Did they have the vertical grip available to test? It looks like a good combination.

Love the new features of the EVF.

B&H shows it shipping in the first week of March.

Thanks for hands on info.

Paul Caldwell

f/otographer

Sorry Paul, they did not have the vertical grip. I would have been nice to try though. I did notice that it felt about the same as my NEX 7 did before I put a Gariz half case on it. That is to say I felt my pinky could have used a couple of more centimeters of grip...just a bit more. So Im thinking a Gariz case would solve this issue on the X-T1 as well without adding to much bulk but some style instead. Heres hoping anyway.

Truly, this camera is just doing everything right. I cant wait to give it a go next month.

Jay Emm

Thanks for info. The X-T1 shows what all DSLRs should become. Wow. I wish it had a sensor with more resolution though.
I take it you are doing some decent sized prints then (as 16MP is more than enough for web publishing). Therefore, what's your view on required resolution for printing as I'm wondering similar?

Paul2660

I take it you are doing some decent sized prints then (as 16MP is more than enough for web publishing). Therefore, what's your view on required resolution for printing as I'm wondering similar?
16MP by itself won't print very large, at least in my experience. One of the reasons I started using the Zork adapter on my 1ds MKII back in 2004, was I wanted more resolution so I could create larger prints without having to interpolate/uprez.

I have never found the holy grail on being able to uprez a small 16MP image to say 2x to 32MP sized output. I have tried all the tools available and LR etc. Nothing beats the base output. This just as true with 15MP sensor plus output from a 60MP Phase One in my experience.

The beauty of the Fuji, is it's so small you can easily hand hold 5 to 6 part stitches and they come together beautifully. I will regularly use the X-E1 in multi-part stitches and the output can handle large printing very well. If you want to do nodal all the lenses on the X series are small and finding the nodal point is quick and easy.

However, and it's obvious to me many others disagree with me based on previous responses, I would love to see 24MP in this same footprint. If they can keep out the noise and get the same DR it would be a great solution. 16MP is fine but for larger prints (in my workflow) unless working on a macro solution, you can't get a very large print. Large for me is 40 x 60, 36 x 72 or 3 part 36 x 72.

What I have found is the real key to the Fuji file is getting the best details from the raw file and so far Iridient seems to do that. It's more of pain as I am not MAC based in my workflow, but I have one to use. Capture One is getting closer with 7.16 and LR still gets very muddy on rocks and some greens with 5.3. Starting with the best resolved detail can make a huge difference when going to the print.

Paul C.