The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

The Leica M will probably be superior.. full frame and awesome Leica glass... better bokeh, etc.. but bang for the buck the Fuji is hard to beat and then you have to remember the obvious when it comes to Leica: No AF, no zooms.... and the price.. which for most of us is the real deal-breaker.

bradhusick

Hi Tom,

the XT1 seems to be quite a intriguing camera!

For comparison to the Leica M - well I would ask Jono, as he seems to have some issues with the XT1 so far - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/50182-fuji-x-t1-greens-jpg-files-help-please.html

Peter
I don't seem to be having Jono's problems - it's possible he got a defective camera (there are other issues with his). So far I am REALLY impressed with the X-T1. This weekend I put it to the action sports test.

Later I will compare it to my Leica M240.

aragdog

Well it is finally not crappy weather here and this will get a workout for Mardi Gras. But as a user of a number of cameras, let me say that I am impressed with the quality of what I have bee shooting. With horrible weather the last few days all I have is a few friends and stuff like that, so when I get a chance I will post some stuff from Mardi Gras.

BlinkingEye

Hi Peter. I am using Leica glass on it. The 50 ASPH lux is so sweet on this camera - effective 65mm f/1.4.
Your math is incorrect.

With an APS-C sensor the crop factor is 1.5 effectively making the 50mm lens have an angle of view of a 75mm lens on a full frame sensor, not your stated 65mm.

bradhusick

Okay guys, I did the sports test. I wrote a short blurb about this that will probably appear on another site soon (will let you know when and where) but here's the summary...

Don't sell your full size DSLRs. The X-T1 didn't keep up in indoor sports testing. The lens (55-200) is not fast enough to test the camera's capability in the indoor lighting I experienced.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Brad
I'm not really surprised. I'm actually really enjoying the camera, the AF is pretty snappy and very accurate, quite good enough for most purposes, but sport still seems to be the territory of the traditional dSLR

bensonga

Your math is incorrect.

With an APS-C sensor the crop factor is 1.5 effectively making the 50mm lens have an angle of view of a 75mm lens on a full frame sensor, not your stated 65mm.
65 vs 75....probably a typo on Brad's part. I think most people here know that the crop factor on an APS-C sensor is usually (but not always) 1.5x. It is 1.6x for Canon APS-C sensors.

Gary

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
65 vs 75....probably a typo on Brad's part. I think most people here know that the crop factor on an APS-C sensor is usually (but not always) 1.5x. It is 1.6x for Canon APS-C sensors.

Gary
Actually the Canon 1D series was originally a 1.3 crop....so the 65 fits with his history....

Like it matters.....

Bob

raist3d

Okay guys, I did the sports test. I wrote a short blurb about this that will probably appear on another site soon (will let you know when and where) but here's the summary...

Don't sell your full size DSLRs. The X-T1 didn't keep up in indoor sports testing. The lens (55-200) is not fast enough to test the camera's capability in the indoor lighting I experienced.
If I had to guess the XT1 does well in daylight and some mild action sports. Indoors if the light is not too hot will be a challenge for any current CDAF camera. Seems like the PDAF sensors do not go too much "into the dark" and they have to resort to CDAF.

I would imagine the new upcoming F2.8 constant zooms will help a little, maybe they are designed to focus fast though they are bigger lenses.

- Ricardo

bensonga

Actually the Canon 1D series was originally a 1.3 crop....so the 65 fits with his history....
Like it matters.....
Bob
Point taken. I'll try not to make assumptions again about what is common knowledge and what isn't.

Gary

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Point taken. I'll try not to make assumptions again about what is common knowledge and what isn't.

Gary
Gary,

No criticism intended...just that I had the original 1D and loved it so the history is part of my current DNA....

Bob

bensonga

Yup, the 1D series is one of my favorites too Bob.....I have a 1D Mark II. Shot with it yesterday in fact. It was my backup cam to a new 1DX (a loaner from Canon). More often than not, I was reaching for the 1D2. Only 8 megapixels, but I swear they are some of the nicest pixels ever made. Many aspects of the 1D2 are quite outdated, but the images still shine. I wish Canon still made a APS-H pro body....or that the prices of a clean 1D Mark IV would fall a bit lower. :D

Gary

ashwinrao1

I'm in... Tried the camera at the store, and fell for it. a7 is gone...it has superior iq and ff, but nearly everything else favors Fuji. I will manage to figure my way around any iq issues.

bensonga

I took a few shots with my XT1 and 55-200mm lens today. I bought the XT1 mainly for the vertical grip and weather proofing. With the relatively large 55-200mm lens, the XT1 and vertical grip is a very comfortable combination to use. I certainly agree with Brad....the build quality is excellent. The size of the camera with the vertical grip attached is perfect for me. I prefer it to the XE-1/2.

It's so good, I might even sell my XE-1 now.

Gary

Alascom Tower, XT1, 55-200mm lens at 200mm

nostatic

I'm in... Tried the camera at the store, and fell for it. a7 is gone...it has superior iq and ff, but nearly everything else favors Fuji. I will manage to figure my way around any iq issues.
So what sold you on the XT1? Have you used the XT1 in low light? There are things I really like about the Fuji system, and I haven't sent the XT1 back yet, but the low light performance and iq relative to the A7r or RX1r left me wanting.

If you like manual controls dials I can see that as a major plus - certainly is a polar opposite of the Sony.

Gbealnz

Woooo Hooo, On Ya Ashwin.
And I thought after the recent posts this was the last thing you'd do.
All I have to do is NOT look at one in store myself then, stick with the X-Pro instead.
Lovely lenses though, love them.
Gary

Braeside

Brad, I don't have the XT-1 myself (yet), but am considering adding one to my existing X-Pro 1 setup, and appreciated your tests on the camera. Just one question, have you put the XT-1 into the "high performance" mode? - which apparently speeds up focus as well as a number of other things at the expense of battery life, which may be a price worth paying in some situations. I don't expect it to help in low light fast moving indoor sports however where the camera will probably be working on contrast detect AF rather than PDAF. Hopefully future faster zooms will help a little too.

Braeside

Resistance is very hard, perhaps my X-Pro 1 is getting a little lonely.

Cheers