The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

fotografz

Actually the Canon 1D series was originally a 1.3 crop....so the 65 fits with his history....

Bob
Actually, Gary is right Bob … APS-C is usually 1.5X (although Canon defined it as 1.6X).

The 1.3X crop is APS-H designation, used in Canon's 1D series.

The Leica M8 camera also used a 1.33X sensor (Kodak KAF-10500).

:)

- Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm in... Tried the camera at the store, and fell for it. a7 is gone...it has superior iq and ff, but nearly everything else favors Fuji. I will manage to figure my way around any iq issues.
Mine is on the way....

I downloaded the most recent beta version of RPP, purchased AccuRaw, and just about purchased Aperture after seeing Jono's Garlic Bulb pic....need to play a bit with C1 .... used EXIFtool to change the EXIF to try it....

SO as you explore the Post Process with the X's let us know if anything really stands out.

Thanks,

Bob

jonoslack

I'm in... Tried the camera at the store, and fell for it. a7 is gone...it has superior iq and ff, but nearly everything else favors Fuji. I will manage to figure my way around any iq issues.
HAH!
Welcome Ashwin
You're more precipitate than me (I still have my A7 and an E-M1), I'm planning to make a final decision by the end of the month when the Fuji special deals in the UK run out.

No doubt the ergonomics of the Fuji have me sold. Love to see all that stuff at a glance.

Which lenses?

JMaher

Never made the switch to the A7 even though the files looks great the handling didn't seem to suit me (admittedly from a very short test one day). My last try at Fuji (X100 and an early EX-1) left me frustrated in its speed) and my E-M1 takes such good pictures and handles so well that I am thinking about selling my 5D3.

What makes this one (XT-1) special enough to make the switch or even to be a second system? I have read the forum comments but I haven't seen one in person. I too suffer from GAS but I am taking medication now and that helps.:)

Jim

Lloyd

I've had mine for a week now, and I'm more than happy with it. So far I've been processing the Raw files with the beta ACR 8.4, and the results are excellent. I haven't shot anything landscape, or anything with grass or leaves (there not being many or any visible just now), so I can replicate the issues Jono reported. I love the EVF, truly forget at times I'm not looking through an SLR viewfinder. I also surprised myself by liking the articulating screen on the back. I didn't think I cared about it, but I've used it a few times, and been happy I had it. So far, I've shot with the 35/1.4, the 18-55, the Zeiss 12mm (which literally sings on this camera), and a few M and CV lenses with the Fuji M-mount adapter. Love especially the CV 75. I have a Nikon adapter, but haven't tried any Nikon lenses so far. I am looking forward to C1's update for the X-T1, as well as Lightroom's. All in all, so far, I am beyond delighted.

Last edited:

jonoslack

What makes this one (XT-1) special enough to make the switch or even to be a second system? I have read the forum comments but I haven't seen one in person. I too suffer from GAS but I am taking medication now and that helps.:)

Jim
HI There Jim
Well, hmm, what I like against the E-M1 is:
3:2 format
colour of images
knobs and dials showing what they do - great to be able to see ISO, shutter, aperture (if there's a dial), exposure compensation, metering mode and single/continuous all on controls on the top screen.

Smaller (slightly)

. . .erm . . . . that's about it really!

I certainly haven't decided which to keep yet, but at least it's some kind of a contest.

All the best

JMaher

Thanks to Lloyd and Jono for your comments and observations. I really guess I need to find a way to see/touch one in person.

The 3:2 format would be welcome as well as visible settings.

What about image stabilization? That seems to be lacking in the camera body and while I never thought it mattered for short lenses I find I was wrong and that equivalent 35's and 50's, etc. seem to benefit from the in camera stabilization on the EM-1 (or maybe as I get older I benefit from stabilization).

Jono - will be very interested to see what you decide.

Jim

kdriceman

I've just run a comparison looking at sharpness between the XT1, my Nex6 and Leica M using my Summilux 50. All look good with the M being noticeably better and the XT1 and Nex being quite comparable. However, I'm disappointed in the sharpness of the 18-55 lens. It is softer than the plastic Sony 16-50. What are others experiencing with IQ using the 18-55? Satisfied or not? Have I just got a bad copy?

ashwinrao1

HAH!
Welcome Ashwin
You're more precipitate than me (I still have my A7 and an E-M1), I'm planning to make a final decision by the end of the month when the Fuji special deals in the UK run out.

No doubt the ergonomics of the Fuji have me sold. Love to see all that stuff at a glance.

Which lenses?
Thanks, Jono. Unfortunately, I have had a hiccup, as my camera appears to be dead on arrival...at least the rear LCD...

That being said, I am hoping to have my camera store replace it, since I didn't shoot any more than 30 frames with it last night....

My kit, as I see it, will be:
14 mm f/2.8
23 mm f/1.4
35 mm f/1.4
56 mm f/1.2
18-55
55-200

I doubt I'd need anything else...

ashwinrao1

Ruh roh, Scooby. Camera appears to be dead on arrival!

Just took the camera out for fsecnd use today, and about 10 shots in to shooting today (in my office), and the rear LCD viewfinder went grey, then died...I tried resetting the camera, changing view mode, chancing my SD card. Everything works if I look through the EVF, but no rear LCD operation is possible. Damn...Back to the camera store I go....hopefully a replacement will be in order soon....

It's literally been sitting in my camera bag overnight...drats!

greypilgrim

Thanks to Lloyd and Jono for your comments and observations. I really guess I need to find a way to see/touch one in person.

The 3:2 format would be welcome as well as visible settings.

What about image stabilization? That seems to be lacking in the camera body and while I never thought it mattered for short lenses I find I was wrong and that equivalent 35's and 50's, etc. seem to benefit from the in camera stabilization on the EM-1 (or maybe as I get older I benefit from stabilization).

Jono - will be very interested to see what you decide.

Jim
Jim,
Don't go and see/touch it if you have been waiting for a good manual control camera and don't want to get hooked :).

IBIS is the one question mark for me, but I spent more than a week with the XE-2 using manual lenses only, and found that the better ISO performance than my EM-5 pretty much seemed to counterbalance the quality results I get from the Oly IBIS. Of course, that means you have to pay attention to your shutter speed much more than you do with the Oly, and I had to return to a slightly different style of shooting. Slower shutter speeds mean more tripod work for instance, and oyu will otherwise end up freezing action more (not necessarily a bad thing unless you want blur as with flowing water for instance).

I now view it as a trade off between IBIS and higher ISO perf. For me, the things that has truly caused me to take the chance is the ergonomics which just seem to work for me. Having all the controls I want accessible without menu diving or command dial twirling is a pleasure. Understand that this comes from someone who has truly enjoyed shooting with the EM-5, and I have no intention of bailing on m4/3 (although the EM-1 when I rented it for a week didn't win me completely over compared to my EM-5).

I never had any intention of running two systems :eek:.

Doug

nostatic

Thanks, Jono. Unfortunately, I have had a hiccup, as my camera appears to be dead on arrival...at least the rear LCD...

That being said, I am hoping to have my camera store replace it, since I didn't shoot any more than 30 frames with it last night....

My kit, as I see it, will be:
14 mm f/2.8
23 mm f/1.4
35 mm f/1.4
56 mm f/1.2
18-55
55-200

I doubt I'd need anything else...
umm, isn't that pretty much everything they make now :D

well, macro isn't there or the XC lenses. Hope they can quickly sort the DOA body. That's always a bummer.

greypilgrim

Ruh roh, Scooby. Camera appears to be dead on arrival!

Just took the camera out for fsecnd use today, and about 10 shots in to shooting today (in my office), and the rear LCD viewfinder went grey, then died...I tried resetting the camera, changing view mode, chancing my SD card. Everything works if I look through the EVF, but no rear LCD operation is possible. Damn...Back to the camera store I go....hopefully a replacement will be in order soon....

It's literally been sitting in my camera bag overnight...drats!
Sigh, that's you and Jono having problematic cameras in a pretty small sample. Hope it's just a huge coincidence.

Doug

Braeside

I believe Jono resolved his difficulty with the buttons, so perhaps that doesn't count. (switched off intelligent face detection).

Charles2

Can anyone comment on focussing with M lenses? Is it a series of annoying button pushes to magnify, focus, return to main view, etc, etc, or does the M adapter make life easy?

Mike
Well, on the XE-1, the rocker dial immediately brings up magnification, turn for 3x, 10x. Press dial in again to leave mag, or half press shutter. Very convenient. I assume much the same on XT-1.

M adapter from Fuji merely transmit the lens' focal length to Exif. Cheapo adapters have worked fine for me.

greypilgrim

Well, on the XE-1, the rocker dial immediately brings up magnification, turn for 3x, 10x. Press dial in again to leave mag, or half press shutter. Very convenient. I assume much the same on XT-1.

M adapter from Fuji merely transmit the lens' focal length to Exif. Cheapo adapters have worked fine for me.
My experience with the XE-2 is that is was the best manual focus camera I had used so far. Seems like the X-T1 follows that pattern.

Doug

Braeside

I've just run a comparison looking at sharpness between the XT1, my Nex6 and Leica M using my Summilux 50. All look good with the M being noticeably better and the XT1 and Nex being quite comparable. However, I'm disappointed in the sharpness of the 18-55 lens. It is softer than the plastic Sony 16-50. What are others experiencing with IQ using the 18-55? Satisfied or not? Have I just got a bad copy?
That is untypical, the 18-55mm is generally considered to be excellent, certainly that has been my experience on the X-Pro 1. JPGs will have some in camera software distortion correction, which does a small bit of stretching, you can see this by comparing a raw.

When Jono was going through the green rendering queries in the other thread, this was discussed a little, and we wondered if OIS could also be affecting IQ in some cases. Personally I have not had any such issues. I hope you can try another copy and see if there is any change.