The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 first impressions...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono, did you find a solution for your smeared green problems? I remember some days ago you sounded like the Fuji would go back but now you sound different. I might be interested to get either a EM1 or a xt1 for casual fast moments.
After playing with the XT1 briefly and having some real experience with the EM1 I must say I still prefer the look of the EM1 EVF over the Fuji.

Also AF on the EM1 is definitely faster. Plus the available glass from m43 is definitely not second to Fuji.

Colors are a matter of taste, although the EM1 is not too bad there as we all know - sometimes I prefer the Fuji, sometimes the Olympus ....

Tough decision at least for me .... not sure if I do not just want to wait for the XPro2 which should arrive during Photokina 2014 and would be the real game changer then.

jonoslack

After playing with the XT1 briefly and having some real experience with the EM1 I must say I still prefer the look of the EM1 EVF over the Fuji.
I'm inclined to agree here Peter

Also AF on the EM1 is definitely faster. Plus the available glass from m43 is definitely not second to Fuji.
As far as AF is concerned - if you make the Fuji focus point small, and put it in high performance mode there isn't much in it - but the tracking on the Fuji seems better

Tough decision at least for me .... not sure if I do not just want to wait for the XPro2 which should arrive during Photokina 2014 and would be the real game changer then.
I don't think it's coming this year - I think there will be an Xpro1s with the same sensor as the X-T1 and generally speeded up.

all the best

greypilgrim

Got my speed booster today (I'd been playing with a regular F mount adapter). This combination balances really well. 20mm f3.5 + speedbooster. Actually balances better than the Fuji 35mm in my hand. This combo plus a k1 extension ring makes for some interesting wide angle close up capabilities (happy cat pic, ISO 3200, JPG straight from the cam, just resized).

Doug

greypilgrim

So, I spent a three day weekend shooting with the X-T1 in Big Sur this weekend, and I thought I would share my experiences. This will be purely subjective as I was focused on how the camera works or doesn't for me. As always YMMV.

Other than a few candids of family members, this was exclusively nature focused (landscape and some macros). My lenses of choice were the Fuji 35mm, and a raft of nikkors with either a standard adapter or a speed booster from metabones.

My conclusion if you don't want to read further is the jury is still out.

First, the locking ISO dial is not as annoying for me as I thought it would be. There were a few times I grumbled at it, but all in all not a blocker. I could manipulate it with the camera to my eye most of the time.

Fuji colors, what can I say? To be honest, I shoot RAW exclusively, so I always assumed this was not important. I was wrong. The JPEGs out of the camera have very nice rendition. This was with the standard (Provia?) simulation. I will still always shoot RAW, but...

Greens and smearing. Weirdly, this seems to be more of an issue with the Fuji 35 than it does with the nikkors on the adapters. I wonder if there is some byplay with the builtin lens correction? Doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.

SD card door. This is annoying. It popped open on me 3 times. I do not find it as flimsy as people mentioned elsewhere, but if it pops open like that, it is a candidate for breaking off as well as letting in the elements.

Movie recording button. Definite grumble here. I must have hit this about 10 times during the weekend (my wife definitely started recognizing that particular grumble :)). Not a deal breaker, but annoying. This caused me to run out of space on an SD card at a rather inopportune moment.

I also hit the front function button accidentally at times, but since it was set to DOF Preview, this was not a major annoyance.

Misaligned tripod socket. This was annoying, but the handgrip would solve the issue.

EVF, sweet.

Various focus aids. Well thought out and easy to access.

Too bad the timer isn't on the same switch as the continuous shooting settings. But easy to access via the Q menu.

Speaking of which, the only thing I needed the Q Menu for was the timer setting.

The camera is so easy to set up. It's hard to get lost.

Setting to MF and having the AF-L button still work is perfect.

Not being able to easily access the "thirds" for shutter speed is annoying. 1/320s? How do I set that?

A modern lens with an aperture ring that works. How nice is that?

Focus speed with the 35mm (yes updated) is not super fast. Slower than my oly primes on my EM-5 imo.

Best feeling camera in my hand that I have used in quite a while.

Not having an RGB histogram for image review/chimping is a downer.

I found the carrying experience to be similar to when I carry my EM-5 kit. Heavier, yes, but not enough to be problematic. And it still blows away carrying a D200 :).

Small four way buttons. Not too bad for me.

Tilt screen. As good as the EM-5's. Nuff said.

I will post some pics in the fun with thread.

Doug

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Shutter speeds on thirds are available via the front/rear command dial (you can customize it). They also are cached between power off / on too.

Regarding timer, you can program any of the custom buttons to bring that up. I also program the front custom button to bring up AF points.

I found it worth spending some time getting familiar and customizing the camera to your own preferences. Personally I find that this transforms the camera from being good with foibles to being a tool.

YMMV. :thumbs:

greypilgrim

Shutter speeds on thirds are available via the front/rear command dial (you can customize it). They also are cached between power off / on too.
Kinda makes having the shutter speed not on a command dial and with its own dial a bit problematic if you have to go to a command dial anyway? As a matter of fact, now it is a two dial process instead of one. I also do like having the front button set as DOF preview (same spot as I am used to on other cameras).

Regarding timer, you can program any of the custom buttons to bring that up. I also program the front custom button to bring up AF points.
Good point on setting the timer. Although I found that using the Q menu worked fine for it. Anything requiring a timer doesn't require speedy access for me.

I found it worth spending some time getting familiar and customizing the camera to your own preferences. Personally I find that this transforms the camera from being good with foibles to being a tool.

YMMV. :thumbs:
That would be the point of having spent a 3 day weekend with it shooting in an environment I normally shoot in under conditions I normally shoot under. A first impression is really only as good as the amount of time you spent with the camera generating that first impression :). After all, my first "first impression" was crazy enough to cause me to go out and buy one when I was perfectly happy with my EM-5 ;). Now I am beginning the process of seeing if that holds up (similar to what Jono said he is doing with his multitude of options).

Doug

archiM44

Doug
The latest prerelease version of ACR for Photoshop CC from Adobe Labs has, under Camera Calibrations, a drop down menu offering the Fuji film types (Provia, Velvia, etc.)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just got my vertical battery grip for the X-T1 today. I can sum it up in two words: It ROCKS!

I have less than dainty hands and so the grip changes the character of the X-T1 to feel more like the girth of the X-Pro1 with RRS L bracket on it. I know that won't appeal to everyone but the grip moves all of the controls into the right place under my fingers vs the body alone. I also like the fact that the LCD/EVF shows the state of both batteries. Even with a second battery it is feather light compared to my D600 & grip.

Using the camera vertically is unsurprisingly much more comfortable.

:thumbs:

Braeside

Just got my vertical battery grip for the X-T1 today. I can sum it up in two words: It ROCKS!

..... Snip

Using the camera vertically is unsurprisingly much more comfortable.

:thumbs:
Hi Graham, I concurr that I find the X-T1 handling much better with the vertical battery grip, however I wish they had done something similar to the grips for the EM5 where you can have the choice of an improved handgrip on its own or also fit the vertical part with the extra battery when needed. I find the X-T1 just not big enough on its own for my hand, and need a bit more height and depth of the hand grip, so I have ordered the Metal Hand Grip as well to try, (I love the MHG on my XP1, it makes it just the right size and great for popping on the tripod).

Not having an Exposure Compensation dial or control on the vertical battery grip is frustrating, even a choice of using the thumb dials for EC when the camera was in a vertical orientation would have been neat, but I can understand why they thought it might have been difficult and confusing to implement a system where a physical dial on the camera is over-ridden by another control.

Cheers

Braeside

Coming from the Fujifilm X-Pro 1, the X-T1 is in some ways slightly frustrating.

For example, on the XP1 with the EVF it is possible to switch between a custom setting and a normal setting, allowing a choice of having a grid overlay and the digital level or not as required, by just pressing the Display button. You can do this on the LCD on the XT1 but not on the EVF. Hopefully a firmware update may allow this in the future.

I shall certainly keep my XP1, with its firmware improvements over the years it is still a very capable camera and a joy to use. I truly wish for a supercharged version in the future, but the X-T1 will have to do until then.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
... a few this morning, the colours are just lovely

Moss and Frost

I'm liking it more and more....
As am I ... not going to compare it to my other cameras...it seems like all the RAW developers need to up their game a bit.

Fuji X-T1

Antique Show Monochromatic

Antique Show Colors

Thanks,

Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
am in the process of making an L-plate for this camera and for the camera with vertical grip.

since the fuji retains the main battery in the camera and adds a second one in the grip, anyone know which one gets used up first?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
am in the process of making an L-plate for this camera and for the camera with vertical grip.

since the fuji retains the main battery in the camera and adds a second one in the grip, anyone know which one gets used up first?
According to the Fuji X-T1 manual grip battery is used first and then camera battery.

Bob