The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T1 - Greens and jpg files - help please?

ashwinrao1

I don't want to create a flame war but;
what the hell Ashwin?

I have been shooting cams to 30 years, professionally for 20.
Until just recently my go to cam was a Cambo RS with a combo of Aptus 65s and Credo back. I spent most of 2013 in a hospital and wheelchair and now have a restriction on how much weight I can carry for the next 5 years. This forced me to make a change to continue to do what I love.

I researched the crap out of what was available and made an informed decision to use the Fuji mirroless; the deciding factor was THE IMAGE QUALITY AVAILABLE ON THE X-TRANS SENSOR.

I have used the highest resolution backs with the (arguably) best lens (large format technical). I didn't make the choice for the Fuji as some hipster wanabe looking for a camera to match my goatee.

I am highly qualified to make educated opinions on image quality.

I am communicating on this thread to help Jono with an issue she found on her new camera.

I didn't realize that suddenly made this a forum for non Fuji users to bash what they haven't used recently or perhaps don't understand how to get the best from.
I get tired of reading people rehashing negatives that have nothing to do with this wonderful camera. Try it in Capture One, learn to work the raws; then make an informed comment.

On the subject ACTUALLY POSTED;
I did a couple more experiments and found;
Green smear seems to sometimes appear in jpgs with the 18-55 at 18 with the automatic barrel distortion being applied by the camera.
A jpg of the same scene with the correction turned off in camera resulted in much cleaner image across the entire shot.
The same scene in Photo Ninja with barrel correction resulted in distortion correction without smearing.

This is all on an x-e2 as I am waiting for delivery on my x-t1.

As it uses the same sensor; I am assuming that a similar result may occur on the x-t1.

I hope some of this information helps Jono.

Jon
See my post, above...a couple of issues, though

1. Jono is a male...just figured I'd clear that up off the bat
2. You have nice gear.
3. We are all entitled to opinions. Yours and mine are equally valid...we just see value in different aspects of the same issue.
4. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I am glad that you are back on your feet, and have adjusted to maintain the passion that you love...a passion that I share. As a health care provider caring for injured athletes trying to get back to their activity, I very much appreciate your quandry and the change that you made.
5. I am not bashing...just expressing my own opinion, based on extensive experience with the X-system, which I do really love... Smashing lenses, incredible color, detailed files (except where there's smearing in LR at least...I have a totally LR work flow, so using another converter wouldn't work for me...my own limitation). Capture one is not an option given my present work flow and commitment to LR5 (my library has far too many images to be proud of lol)
6. I am very informed....but I am entitled to my opinion...and that's really all it is...

Okay, I'll pipe down now, but you managed to get my attention :)

ashwinrao1

As the Rolling Stones songs goes...

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need."
Well stated, Jim. And truth be told, you make magic with anything you shoot...Leica, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, I doesn't matter....Are you still using the Pentax K5II (or K3, for that matter)? Lovely that we have so many options from which to choose and by which to adapt to...

JonMo

I guess if you want to call when I first joined dpi in 2011 new; so be it.
I am definitely new to the Fuji forum.
The only area I was in for most of my time was the Dante's.

This was not an attack on Ashwin, I don't know you or your work.
I am informed you are very knowledgeable and that's great.
The original post just appeared to be piling on when Jono reported an issue.

docmore; I will be shooting more greens when greens finally reappear from under the damn snow. Now that I know Jono is a guy, great. I apologize for the inadvertent gender swap.

I don't usually post unless there is something I can add or help with.

I am not in the habit of bashing gear unless it cost me money in the past (waiting for the IQ backs to finally activate the usb 3 function. never arrived in time for me dang it.)

I have tried every bloody raw processor on the planet tying to get the x-trans images the way I want and finally have them printing large and beautiful (to me) with capture one and photo ninja.

Heaven knows what I saved in cash from Digital Back to Mirrorless more than covers the cost of software but for goodness sake, it would be nice to have cross the board great results with all the raw processors.

So just relax everyone, if you feel it is necessary to chastise me, have a great time.
Don't condescend to me. Don't write me off as a newbie. I may mistake your gender. I may take umbrage with a comment. I will always try to help if it is within my skill set. I will not call you names (sticks and stone and all that.). I will continue to enjoy GetDPI.

And if anyone else has an x-t1;
if you have time for a couple of quick shots, I would be interested if the jpgs follow the same pattern I found with the x-e2 and the effect on image quality in green foliage with the lens correction turned on for in camera processing.

Regards,
Jon

Truth is you and Ashwin do not share the same proclivities in how you shoot...
the drawbacks that he mentions are rarely encountered by you as you focus on those very intimate aspects of photography and do not usually do the large grand landscape....if you do it is usually centered on a center point of interest and as such allows a bit of room to let exposure and sharpness rolloff without objection.

And it works for you ... fabulously!

All of this angst about small sensor cameras has me looking again at MFDB and larger cameras...I would rather schlep a bit more weight than spend my time trying to resolve errors at capture....

A shame really as the X100 was a nice camera...the X-T1 looks to be a wonderful ride if they would just address the IQ issue for us grand landscape folks. Apologize for the rant....just too much froth over the new new thing....

Looking forward to seeing the new NO posts on Boxed Light.....always a treat.

Regards,

Bob
Thanks, Bob... You are correct. Ashwin and I do shoot differently. I was not suggesting that the Fujis are not without a few warts. It seems they do just keep getting better and better and the lens lineup continues to grow.. and bang for the buck.. they are hard to beat.

It seems there are always two camps that form when a new camera (of any brand) comes out. Those that like it and those that don't... maybe a third camp that just likes to find fault with every little thing.. button size, ergonomics, AF speed, noise.. you name it.. there is always someone willing to make and issue over something they deem less than perfect.. and so it will always be.

Well stated, Jim. And truth be told, you make magic with anything you shoot...Leica, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, I doesn't matter....Are you still using the Pentax K5II (or K3, for that matter)? Lovely that we have so many options from which to choose and by which to adapt to...
Thanks, Ashwin... the lyrics ring true for me with the Fujis.. they are not perfect but damn they are very good.

I bought the K3 and returned it within 24 hours. I essentially would have been paying major bucks for what (in my opinion) was a minor upgrade of the K5 IIs I already owned. I was disappointed with high ISO performance and noise.. seems that is what you get when you cram more MP in the same space.

Yes, I still use the K5 IIs.. very good camera on so many levels.. it will also make the trip to New Orleans with me... but the X-T1 will be the primary on this trip. The Pentax is just for backup, should I need it for any reason.

Yes, we have so many choices and I often wonder why some people are so dogmatic about their choice of cameras. I have never pointed out perceived weaknesses or faults in chosen brands of others. Really, what's the point? Live and let live. We are all kindred spirits in this world of photography. Why some insist on fighting/bitching/arguing over which is a better camera always amazes me.

As for Jono.. maybe a little more time and a better lens will have a calming effect on him. If he returns it, then good for him. No use in using a camera you are not comfortable with. He'll sort it out one way or the other.

I am not saying there are not issues with the X-Trans sensor but those issues also seem to be amplified by the companies that produce the RAW support software.. they just haven't yet gotten it right.. so I would not place all the blame on Fuji.

The X-Pro 1 and E-X2 have been a lot of fun and their output often stunning with very little required in post.. and I'm just talking about the JPGs. In a few hours I will have my third Fuji in my hands.. Bad Jim.. bad boy... but I think the third time will be the charm.. as they say. What each of the other cameras lacked all seems to be in place with the X-T1.. at least for me.

jonoslack

Hi there
Thanks for your efforts Jon, as Bob says, I've been around the block a bit :) and everyone else for chipping in. Graham, quite right, no time to give in.
I've not given up yet, although I will say, in the final analysis I won't be changing raw processor for a camera (despite being experienced with both LR and C1 Aperture is my poison).,
So in the final analysis it seems to hinge on how Aperture handles the camera.

In the meantime it seems to me I have two overlapping issues
1. Lens corrections creating smearing (especially using DNGs created from Adobe DNG converter in Lightroom.
2. Some residual strangeness in greens
Perhaps also 3 some OSS/lens issues.

I'm thinking these two/three issues are combining to exacerbate the situation. So I'll do some more testing when it stops raining

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Also in fairness to folks trying the Fuji, if you're an Aperture, LR or other user, it doesn't matter how great the camera is if you have to use rinky dinky soft v23 beta 4 to get images acceptable to you - for all intents and purposes the images don't work (actually I was going to say suck) because you can't use your preferred workflow. I'm lucky because Capture One is my preferred solution for all of my cameras but if I were forced to use another converter that I didn't like, such as from Adobe or Silkypix or Irrident or <fill in blank>, then I'd also not be a fan of the Fuji either.

It has to work for you and be a comfortable, usable system and if it isn't, for whatever reason, no amount of brow beating will change that.

greypilgrim

Well, I must say I am seriously beginning to question whether I should have gotten the kit. I may have to send it back and get in line for a body only.

Jono, I am definitely looking forward to your further experiences. I have gone back through a number of my x-e2 rental's shots and been satisfied with those, but they were all manual lenses on a speed booster adapter.

Doug

ptomsu

Workshop Member
WRT kit lens I only can reiterate I meanwhile have my 2nd copy (sold the first one with my XPro1) 2 and I am more than satisfied. Maybe there are bad samples ....

jonoslack

I'm beginning to think I actually have a faulty camera.......unless I'm being really stupid. Please could you check your camera ( those who have it)

1. My rear thumb dial does nothing, either in A/P/or M mode
2. The AE lock button does nothing in any mode
3. The AF lock button does nothing in any mode
4. The metering type switch (under the shutter speed dial) does nothing either

Am I doing something wrong? Am I going mad? Or is it back to the shop with it?

jonoslack

Hi Graham
Quite agree about software. My plan was to use the jpg files until Aperture support came along. Still my plan actually. I'll be happy to use something else for the odd shot if desirable (I have capture 1 and I'll get hold of a copy of Photo Ninja)

I hope you're not getting me wrong. I want this to work, and I've learned a lot from this thread ( not least from your contributions ). Hopefully others will as well.

All the best

250swb

Jono, you are not alone, but it does seem to be a Fuji trait

Fuji X100s Review

and in this recent review of the X100S the posterised smearing is described. For what its worth I had the compact X10 and sold it within ten days because of exactly the same thing, the RAW files were unusable because of the blocking of colour with just the smallest adjustment. JPEGs were great out of the box though.

Steve

fordfanjpn

I'm beginning to think I actually have a faulty camera.......unless I'm being really stupid. Please could you check your camera ( those who have it)

1. My rear thumb dial does nothing, either in A/P/or M mode
2. The AE lock button does nothing in any mode
3. The AF lock button does nothing in any mode
4. The metering type switch (under the shutter speed dial) does nothing either

Am I doing something wrong? Am I going mad? Or is it back to the shop with it?
All my buttons work as they're supposed to. Looks like you might actually have a bad sample of the camera there. Sounds like a trip back to the shop is in order.

Bill

raist3d

Okay, this is serious. Really nasty smudginess, but not just in JPG files, also in DNG files created from Adobe DNG converter and viewed in Lightroom. Grass is the worst culprit, but it also happens in hair - seems to be everywhere.

Iridient is better, but there are still smudgy greens and strangely patterned road surfaces

:wtf::eek:

Any suggestions please?
Adobe/Lightroom are not good for converting Xtrans with good detail. I find the best overall is Capture One and also Iridient. Aperture is pretty good, but may not get the finest detail.

I don't have much issue with JPEGS but Adobe stuff is still no good compared to the other options. Also the included Silky Pix at this point is not bad either if you know how to play with its settings.

If you must use a raw converter that may not get the best out of Xtrans then maybe this camera is not for you.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Hi there David
I'm not a serious pixel peeper myself, but these look awful, artifacts everywhere on Iridient and smudginess in LR. Comparing them to E-M1 files isn't funny.
You may want to play with the different varied settings Iridient provides because as far as detail goes, Iridient with Xtrans is pretty darn good.

Maybe Aperture will do better....... But when? I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have a try with Silkypix :(.
I've emailed Fuji, I can't believe that this isn't going to be a really big deal, so maybe they'll sort it with a firmware update. I hope I can find a solution because I really love the camera!
Thank you for the offer! I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not in a hurry. One thing is that I won't be buying any more lenses yet.
This is a solved problem. The issue is to pick the right raw converter and the right settings. This is not new, unless there's a major bug for the JPEG engine for the XT1 but it's the first time I hear it. Quite frankly I find the Fuji image quality better than anything m4/3rds has, though that shouldn't read that I think m4/3rds doesn't have good excellent quality options at this point.

- Ricardo

raist3d

HI Everyone
Many thanks for all the input - I think it's something worth bottoming out. I have to say I'm wondering about the OIS on the lens - (it was switched on), and I agree the second shot looks out of focus . . . but not everywhere- so I don't think it's just that.
Quite frankly the 2nd shot looks like out of focus to me. Some parts will be in focus as the distance from lens vary.
[]

All the best[/QUOTE]