The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 and the 10-24mm Lens impressions

w44neg

I had a great day on Monday. I visited a photography show here in the UK and came out with what I had hoped; a Fuji X-T1 and a play with the forthcoming 10-24mm lens.

Firstly, the X-T1. I had a quick play at the Fuji stand and if I'm honest, I wasn't so sure about it at first. However, after a few minutes, I was already starting to get into it. I noticed the directional buttons aren't quite as easy to find as on the X-Pro1 without actively looking for them.

Also, compared to the X-Pro1, it's a button-fest. The X-T1 has lots, and lots of buttons. Where I thought it might replace my X-Pro1, I'm now planning to run them side by side for a while and possible for good.

I have a Leica and I adore it. It has a very simple layout and produces great images. The X-Pro1 has very similar ethics. However the X-T1 is an out-and-out miniature DSLR in my opinion, and this is a great thing. It will suit my event photography extremely well, whereas the X-Pro1 struggles to keep up.

Other benefits include...

- WiFi which is implemented incredibly well. I can foresee times where I'll be sat in my nice, warm car, whilst the X-T1 is controlled via my phone on a tripod in the cold. Of course this won't be in a public place but will be ideal for night shots etc.
- Interval shooting... I'm yet to use it but fancy giving it a go
- Tiltable main screen... ideal for busy motorsport events where I can hold the camerabove the crowd... the screen is incredibly smooth when moving, just like the EVF.
- The EVF really is fantastic. It's the first all-EVF camera I will keep. Every other has been flipped on but this will stay as it's as good as all the reviewers say.
- Weather-resistant... When the lenses are finally released, this will be fantastic
- Buy the battery grip... it's superb

So there you go. It's not an X-Pro1 IMO so you still have a choice to make depending on your type of photography. Both have their merits and minus points, but both are fantastic cameras, and I feel very privileged to own both.

Next up, the 10-24mm lens.

Although highly guarded by the fuji staff, they let me have a good play with it and I took the following shots. First impressions were it's mainly plastic, but felt a decent weight. I think it's 400+ grams so not the lightest zoom but it is very nice to use. The aperture wheel feels as good as my leica summicron to use.

The rest is down to IQ and I'll let the images do the talking. I personally think it's a great performance at its widest angle. Please note there was a million people around me and I was just snapping away so I could look at the overall quality and distortion control. In a couple of photos, the Fuji staff member looks a little distorted but for the most part, I'd be happy with these images in regards to distortion.

These are unedited JPEGs from the camera... (My X-Pro1 I think)

These were at the widest setting... f4-5.6 I think...

...and this was at the longest 24mm setting at around f4-5.6

Last edited:

Paul2660

Sadly the interval timer is handicapped since it will not work in bulb mode instead relying on the camera's shutter speed max of 1/30th. If you need a series longer than 1/30 you will still need a intervalometer. They should be able to add the timer into the built in one.

Magic lantern did this for Canon.

Paul C

w44neg

Sadly the interval timer is handicapped since it will not work in bulb mode instead relying on the camera's shutter speed max of 1/30th. If you need a series longer than 1/30 you will still need a intervalometer. They should be able to add the timer into the built in one.

Magic lantern did this for Canon.

Paul C
Oh that's a shame. However if the firmware updates are as concise as those with the X-Pro1, I'm sure the camera will only get better and better. Of course it should be optimised out of the box but at least Fuji keep on top of things, unlike many other brands.

jonoslack

That's great - thank you . . . . . . . . it also reminds me how glad I am not to have been at the NEC (I used to go every year).

All the best

greypilgrim

I've used the triggertrap with the oly's quite happily. They do not work with the x-t1 yet, but I suspect they will.

Doug

w44neg

That's great - thank you . . . . . . . . it also reminds me how glad I am not to have been at the NEC (I used to go every year).

All the best
I believe the show is now run by a different company. I go to a fair few trade shows but this was done well and quite fun. Perhaps you should give it one last go next year.

I've used the triggertrap with the oly's quite happily. They do not work with the x-t1 yet, but I suspect they will.

Doug
Thanks... I'm not desperate so will probably just wait for new firmware, and if it doesn't arrive, I'll just have a play in the daytime when I don't need low shutter speeds.

walliswizard

Went to the same show. Primarily I wanted to look at the 56 and the 10-24. The lady shown in your second photo looking at the back of the camera was super-helpful and let me try out the 56 on my XE2 and, well, what a lens. Tried the 10-24 on the XT1 which was fine but not for me. Now working all the overtime I can so I can afford either the 56 or the 14 (just wish I could make my mind up!!)

w44neg

I didn't bother looking at the 56mm as I'm not interested in it personally. I heard people raving about it, but my 60mm is just fine for my needs as I mainly use it for macro.