The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 -- worth its money, because

Nitnaros

... just got the camera, B&H shipped yesterday (although I had only pre-ordered last week)

what sells me right out of the box compared to my X-Pro1, is the diopter in combination with the EVF. There is already lots of information out about the larger size of the EVF - yes, when you put the X-T1 next to the X-Pro1, it is a clear improvement.

I am wearing progressive glasses and based on how I look thru the EVF of the X-Pro1, I can't see the EVF screen completely sharp. I bet others have the same problem.

The diopter on the X-T1 works perfectly to eliminate that issue.

well done, Fuji, it shows that they are really thinking about ergonomics!

Peter
--
M7, M8, M9, MMono; X-Pro-1, X-T1

douglasf13

To be fair, the diopter adjustment wheel on the X100 is a major source of dust getting into the camera, so that could be why Fuji left it out on the X-Pro1, and went with the Leica-style screw in diopters. I have the diopter wheel on my X100 taped up to keep dust out of the viewfinder and camera.

Nitnaros

that's interesting, Douglas, would not have considered that

but since the X-T1 is supposed to be water/dust sealed, maybe it will behave better on the diopter (sealing) side...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I traded my two X-Pro1's for a second X-T1 partly because I wanted a common platform, sensor & controls but also because of the diopter issues.

I wear progressives too (onset of old man vision!) and I'd already had to source +1 diopters to make the X-Pro1 comfortable but the new VF in the X-T1 is much more glasses friendly.

douglasf13

that's interesting, Douglas, would not have considered that

but since the X-T1 is supposed to be water/dust sealed, maybe it will behave better on the diopter (sealing) side...
Oh, I'm sure the X-T1 is fine in that regard. As I mentioned in another thread, I saw a teardown of the X100, and it is not exactly the highest quality build (hopefully the light leak situation with the X-T1 doesn't indicate bigger issues.) You can actually stick something thin and long into the X100's diopter wheel hole and reach all the way to the sensor/lens assembly, which is why I keep it taped up.

To get a bit back on topic, to me, shooting Fuji X is primarily about the optical viewfinder option, so I'm sticking with my X100s, but the X-T1 looks like a great camera body.

GrahamWelland

As Douglas said re X100(s). I had one die for 8 hrs from condensation after walking around with it in my hand on a wrist strap in last Julys rainstorms in Sydney. The hybrid EVF went up and stayed up and the camera hung. After a few hours in a dry environment it rebooted ok. The diopter slider looked like the area where moisture got in.

Dale Allyn

As Douglas said re X100(s). I had one die for 8 hrs from condensation after walking around with it in my hand on a wrist strap in last Julys rainstorms in Sydney. The hybrid EVF went up and stayed up and the camera hung. After a few hours in a dry environment it rebooted ok. The diopter slider looked like the area where moisture got in.
Thanks Douglas and Graham.

Wow. That sounds like a valid reason for recall and a retrofit gasket (or at least at the option of the client who is willing to send it in). I'll look at my X-E2 and see if there's a similar issue. If so, maybe I'll judicially apply a bit of silicone.

A friend just took delivery of an X100s and I'm sure he is not aware of this. He hikes in a humid region and plans to use the camera in that environment. I'll share info re. the diopter "open door".

Paul2660

Oh, I'm sure the X-T1 is fine in that regard. As I mentioned in another thread, I saw a teardown of the X100, and it is not exactly the highest quality build (hopefully the light leak situation with the X-T1 doesn't indicate bigger issues.) You can actually stick something thin and long into the X100's diopter wheel hole and reach all the way to the sensor/lens assembly, which is why I keep it taped up.

To get a bit back on topic, to me, shooting Fuji X is primarily about the optical viewfinder option, so I'm sticking with my X100s, but the X-T1 looks like a great camera body.
I have not heard of the light leak on the X-T1 yet, I saw a post on the Sony A7r with the metabones adapters. Do you have more information on the X-T1 issue with light leaks? Both the X-E1 and E2 seemed pretty light tight.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Thanks for the info, good to know. I do plan to use it for night work, as I found that the Rainbow brand intervalometer works fine on the X-T1 in the microphone port. Not yet found any micro to mini port converter that lets my older intervalometer from the X-E1 (mini USB) work. Not sure the micro port on the X-E2 and X-T1 is programed for a remote.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Paul,

I've also found that the Vello intervalometer works fine with the X-T1's mic port also.

There are some intervalometers and remotes available out there that will use the X-E2/X-T1 mini-USB RR-90 connection. Rainbow's intervalometer works with the X-E2 and should also work on the X-T1 which also uses the RR-90 interface (although if you're using the mic port already it doesn't really add anything).

douglasf13

I have not heard of the light leak on the X-T1 yet, I saw a post on the Sony A7r with the metabones adapters. Do you have more information on the X-T1 issue with light leaks? Both the X-E1 and E2 seemed pretty light tight.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
I was referring to the X-T1's diopter sucking in dust. I have no idea if that is happening like with the X100.

I've heard and seen examples of the X-T1's side port light leaks, but I don't own the camera, so I can't speak to it, myself.

GrahamWelland

The diopter control on the X-T1 is completely different to the slider/wheel of the X-E1/2 & X100/s. It it a dial on the side of the EVF and so should be weather sealed. Weather includes dust.

doc4x5

Fuji, unlike Nikon and Canon, responded promptly to the light leak "issue," by putting a message on their website with serial numbers that they'll fix any of the affected cameras.

phips243

The reason for the X-Pro1 not having a built in diopter is the slide-in magnification lens of the Viewfinder...