The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 light leak is easily fixed by fuji

DavidL

There's been a lot of talk about this around the internet and it seems it's an easily fixed problem. Fuji Australia Responds to light leaks on X-T1: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I've heard there's another light leak poossibility around the focus assist light, can't remember where I saw that, probably on the same site.
Still debating my upgrade and currently swaying towards the X-E2 but like Candy says "I hate the big decisions that cause endless revisions in my mind"
Thanks to the Velvet Underground for that one
David

Dale Allyn

I love the response Fuji provided, instead of denial and/or accusations aimed at the user. Kudos to Fuji.

Thanks for sharing.

Braeside

Certainly my UK X-T1 (not in that serial number range) does exhibit this light leak via he HDMI and mic input ports if I shine an LED torch in there with a lens cap on the lens. Whether it leaks enough to affect the sort of exposures I do with the remote release I have not determined yet. I can only see it likely to affect my IR shots if I use a remote in bright sunshine. Will wait and see what Fujifilm UK have to say about any repair plan, but it sounds likely that they will offer something in line with Australia. I do have every confidence that Fujifilm will do the right thing, and it is not a show stopper for me, plus I have a backup X-Pro 1 to use while my X-T1 is in for modification.

DavidL

Certainly my UK X-T1 (not in that serial number range) does exhibit this light leak via he HDMI and mic input ports if I shine an LED torch in there with a lens cap on the lens. Whether it leaks enough to affect the sort of exposures I do with the remote release I have not determined yet. I can only see it likely to affect my IR shots if I use a remote in bright sunshine. Will wait and see what Fujifilm UK have to say about any repair plan, but it sounds likely that they will offer something in line with Australia. I do have every confidence that Fujifilm will do the right thing, and it is not a show stopper for me, plus I have a backup X-Pro 1 to use while my X-T1 is in for modification.
It seems Fuji are already on it in the UK
Light Leak: Fujifilm announces fix and free repair service | Fuji Rumors

Braeside

Contacted Fujifilm UK and got immediate reply, they are sending box to collect camera for immediate attention, all free of course. Very impressed indeed.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, don't think that the USB/HDMI is the only light leak. I did some testing with long exposures up to 4 minutes in daylight and can confirm that the focus assist port/sensor also is a light leak with long exposures. These taken with a mic port cable release.

This is with UV sensor uncovered (USB/HDMI covered):

Covered UV sensor 3 minutes:

Btw, I don't see this as significant. I shoot daytime long exposures a lot and gaffer tape coverage of the camera is very very common. However, I just wanted folks to know that sealing the USB/HDMI port area isn't enough if you shoot 30s+ in bright light.

Oh, and this camera is within the range of the affected cameras. 41A049xx. I have another one which has a serial number that is outside of the light leak range (well only by 50) which I'll test also when I can. I don't expect the focus assist to be any more light tight though.

(Images look soft - It's due to my iPad resize app because the xfr'd 3mb images to iPad are tack sharp)

Last edited:

Paul2660

It always amazes me what modern camera companies, either test for, or design for. This would have taken Fuji about 4 minutes to test for.

It's similar to how they all are putting in a "intervalometer" built in. Great, it's totally dependent on the fixed shutter speeds of the camera, thus 30 seconds is the longest exposure, what good is that? Sony, Nikon now Fuji all have overlooked this.

It's not that hard to fix either as the folks over a Magic Lantern added a true intervalometer to their software upgrade to the 6D and it has a "timer" that allows you to go longer than 30 sec. Now that's a novel idea.

Still amazes me that Fuji has not figured out that it would be nice to see the image details on image playback, right after you take the shot, instead of having to hit the play button.

Thanks for the added info, Graham.

Paul

Braeside

Hi Graham, thanks for the heads up on the other light leak. I couldn't see a leak via the focus assist lamp in mine with an LED torch when I tested it before, admiddedly I wasn't considering 4 minute daylight exposures though. Still shouldn't be one I agree.

Paul:
In the XT1 there is an option for automatically and continuous or timed display of the photo taken after a shot, but perhaps I am missing the point of what you are saying?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm pretty sure Paul is referring to seeing the image info such as histogram and exposure settings along with the image preview after the shot vs just the image itself. I agree with him that it would be very useful to see the shot with optionally the histogram overlaid on it to assess exposure. That would be very helpful at times vs having to go back to playback and then select the Disp mode to display this information.

Regarding the light leaks with any camera, I recommend piling on 16 stops of neutral density filters and shooting in daylight. If there are ANY leaks, you'll find them. Some don't manifest themselves as visible until the cumulative exposure gets in to the multiple second/minute range and I've had them come from places such as the DoF guage on the lens (Nikon 24-70), the AF assist (lot's of cameras), the strap lugs (Phase One DF/DF+) and there are always other sneaky places such as the DSLR top LCD and other such locations. The viewfinder eyepiece is a given - at least with an optical viewfinder and so that's always covered. Heck even an air gap between ND filters or the holder, a filter reflection and even the reflection off the sensor the the lens -> sensor can contribute what appear to be light defects.

Anyway the moral of the story is to not lose your mind over a light leak when you have to shine an LED light into the body - long exposure shooting will find 'em all!

As I mentioned, gaffer tape is your friend. :D

Braeside

Thanks Graham. I really only use exposures up to a max of about 30 seconds here, even with astronomy shots, as we have so much light pollution. IR is my other interest and again about 5 seconds is typical with the R72 filter. So I doubt I will find those really small leaks in my photos, but it is good know where to stick the tape anyway.

Rather than 16 stops of ND which I don't have, a lens cap may suffice!

Cheers