The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What RAW processor are you using for X-E2 or X-T1 files?

ZoranC

I changed to work with RAW+Fine.

Most images are fine just straight out of the cam.

Those that need some treatment, are going into Capture One 8.
That's what I have been doing with every camera I have, it gives me options so it's like eating my cake and having it too.

woodyspedden

I've been using Capture One for my Fuji .RAF conversions since it first started supporting X-Trans files, and feel that it does the best job overall. You do, just like with Lightroom, have to spend some time really getting to know the app, and I've been working with Capture One 7.X.X for over a year now for my X-Pro1 conversions.

For my X-T1, I've been using Iridient Develpor and Aperture for my X-Trans files to convert them to TIFFs, whereupon I reimport them to LR for some minor post-conversion tweaks. On the whole, until today, that is, I found Iridient Developer to be the best, but I agree it's workflow could be improved upon; I really wish it supported a full-screen sized browser view like Photo Ninja or Lightroom, but Brian says he's focused on other priorities right now. I found Aperture to work pretty well, too, but I have observed artifacts with Aperture, also.

I just downloaded the latest rev of Capture One 7.2.1 tonight, though, and after using it on some landscape shots, still feel that Capture One still does the best job of RAW conversion I've used, on any camera for that, matter. I've found a good setting for sharpening for tree leaves, grass, foliage that I think looks very natural, and is, in my admittedly limited data set, better even than Iridient Developer (which I still think is quite good).

So, here's an interesting comparison (and please don't ask for 100% crops, guys, 'cause I'm not going to put them up! Life's too short, fellas! ;) I'd be happy to post my sharpening settings that I find work well in the majority of cases). It's the same file shot with an X-Pro1 (sorry, my X-T1 is on it's way back to Fuji for the flare effect fix) and the Fuji 14mm converted from Fuji RAW with Iridient Developer 2.3.4, and Capture One 7.2.1

1) converted with Iridient Developer 2.3.4 to a TIFF, then imported for some subtle tweaks in LR 5.3

2) conversion with Capture One 7.2.1. Imported into Lightroom only to downsample to the output JPEG file size.

(Note: I was able to correct the keystoning of the 14mm lens in C1, but not in LR in the first photo; this is why the crops are slightly different.

As good as Iridient Developer is, in my opinion, Capture One 7.2.1 still does the best job of RAW conversion. While I'm not a pixel peeper, I did look at the foliage and grass closely at 100%, and am of the opinion that Capture One is a bit better than Iridient Developer than rendering what I consider to be a level of detail that has the requisite acutance yet is still natural-looking. But what I also notice that that Capture One holds detail in the clouds and in the shadow areas of the trees on the hills in the background notably better. And, IMHO, the photo, on the whole, looks more accurate and natural to what I remember the scene looking actually looking like (I just took this shot yesterday afternoon).

So, YMMV, but I still find Capture One to be my de-facto standard for X-trans (or any camera for that matter) RAW conversion. My second favorite is Iridient Developer, which I think also does a very good job.
Looks like you used the keystoning tool in Capture One 8. Does a great job but makes the comparison a bit more difficult.

Woody

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I am impatiently waiting for my X100T to arrive . My new travel mate . Then I am new to the FUJI X system .
Has anyone used HB PHOCUS to work with FUJI X RAWs .
PHOCUS works fine , with reduced functions of course , for my PANASONIC GX7 RWAs . But what about the APS-C X-Trans CMOS II RAWs .
Any experience out there ?

timgo

Jotloob,

Phocus does work though almost half the controls are blocked. For instance the noise reduction control is greyed out and non-functional with X-Trans RAF files.

The best quality RAW converter for X-Trans RAF files (for my taste) is Apple Aperture. The black point setting (default is 3.0) is too strong. I usually lower this to 1.0. But Aperture provides the best all round results for sharpness, demosaic errors, color accuracy, and vividness.

I have tried:

Lightroom 5.4
DCRAW
Raw Photo Processor
SilkyPix
Phocus
GraphicConverter
And Aperture

None of the above produced better results than Aperture. The only one not tried is C1.

The built-in JPEG camera files make an excellent quality reference to compare RAW processor results.

Good Luck,
Tim

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Tim .

Last night the RAW-COMPATIBILITY 6.02 update was released here and I installed it right away .
Since then , I can use PHOCUS to process the FUJI RAF files .

Yes , I am aware , that some PHOCUS functions are not available for RAF files , but that is also valid for the LUMIX RAW's (and many others , if not all , except HB files) .
I have PHOCUS installed anyway , because I need it for my CFV-39 and CFV-50 files .

I have also tried C1 (latest version as a trial download) and find it rather complex .
Also SILKYPIX , despite its strange nomenclature , is rather complex , but has some good functions and shows very good colors . Also , I like the cromatic aberation tool and that the control boxes can easily be moved to a second screen . That is great .

I dislike LR , knowing that others might love it .
I would have tried APERTURE , but there is no trial version available and I believe , it is a dying software with no updates and/or upgrades .

So I ended up with SILKYPIX STUDIO 6 , which is crrently available for just
70 € in comparison to C1 , latest version , which cost almost three time as much .

Additional , I would like to mention , that in all converters and some other software , I find the control icons far too small .
For people , who have to wear eyeglasses , that is a pain .

Sapphie

There is a new beta for Iridient Developer (Mac only) that has an excellent new sharpening algorithm. Well worth trying, though I am nowadays trying to just 'make do' with the JPEGS (that may change)!

Iridient Digital

Lee