The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus tracking primer?

greypilgrim

Hi all,
So, I took my X-T1 and 55-200 to my son's horseback lesson today to give it a whirl, and I am not convinced I was doing what I should. While I got some decent shots for a first go, what I was trying to achieve was to have focus lock onto him and track him over successive shots.

The 55-200 seemed to hunt (albeit quickly) more than I expected, so I am going to check to see if there are firmware updates for it.

I tried C-AF with face detection and without, with manual focusing area selected and without.

I know how I would have achieved this with my previous systems, but the manual really doesn't set me on the right tack, so I am wondering if anyone can share the basic methodology for achieving this? (Hoping to avoid a lengthy period of trial and error).

Thanks in advance,

Doug